My Raw NS arrived! I have questions...

rik

Newly Enlightened
Purchased second hand, but nearly new, from Titan1183 - it arrived properly packaged, and safe and sound. It's so cute, and functional. Luxeon K2 emitter. Okay, I'm a photographer, so guess what I did first? Yep. See below...

As always, the photo is a link to the flickr page, where it can be viewed full size.

So, my first questions - How are the urntime and brightness affected by the XR-E emitter vs the K2 emitter? Can I buy a separate XR-E emitter, and put that in? If so, how do I go about taking out the K2 that's already there, and replacing it with the XR-E? I've had a quick investigate, but it didn't seem to just fall apart in my hands, so I've not pushed on anything...

Also, within 10 seconds of me opening the box, and switching the thing on to test it, my landlord has declared that he now wants one, so now I have to buy a second one...

Thujone

Flashlight Enthusiast
1) Runtime on low w/ Cree is ~9hours
2) You cannot upgrade it yourself you have to mail it in, Rob will do the upgrade for you

Possible solution would be just to sell that one to your landlord and purchase a cree version for yourself.. I happen to like mine a bit more than I am comfortable saying in a forum :)

rik

Newly Enlightened
SanjuNana: It's the flash, honest! Okay, itneeds a little cleaning, but the flash makes it look worse than it is.

Thujone: Okay. Fair enough. Looks like I might need to mail it in. Or order a Cree for the landlord, and swap out...

Still unanswered: Is the Cree brighter than the K2?

I've found the FAQ online, and disassembled, reassembled and checked that it works. That was remarkably easy...

skunksoup

Newly Enlightened
I'm just curious where you ordered it from? Can you give me the link? Thanks looks good!!

Thujone

Flashlight Enthusiast
65535 said:
Cree will be only a little brighter doubt you'll notice it but you'll like the extra few nano seconds of runtime on high :ohgeez:

Actually if you take a look at the beamshots done by rob it is considerably brighter, and a little bit better runtime.

TITAN1833

Flashlight Enthusiast
rik glad you like it , i was quoted 30.00 pounds for the cree upgrade shipped, that was before i had to fund something else,to be honest you can go brighter but i doubt it will throw any more .

Last edited:

rik

Newly Enlightened
skunksoup: i bought mine second-hand - it was an impulse buy, but i was watching for them. The official site is theorb.co.uk or lummi.co.uk, and the user Orb on CPF runs it.

they're raaather nice :)

MountainMan

Newly Enlightened
I really like the NS but only have the LUX III - thinking on getting a Cree upgrade.

Can anyone give any feedback on an Orb Raw Alum with the Cree?

Light on low

P1010211.jpg

Last edited: