failed LE (but completed an Aleph LE now! + Pics)

ianb

Enlightened
I was tring to put together an LE for my TnC lavalamp with a GD500 converter and a Seoul P4, I followed a diagram I had for a nexgen(?) which I was told was similar. Anyway, finished results showed a very weak output?

Firstly I wanted to ask, which terminal is which on the Seoul P4? I now have an Aleph LE to try for an A3 with a DB500 but I don't want to mess that up too :(

any advice would be appreciated :)

thanks, Ian

*See post 8 for Aleph A3 pics*

Last edited:

MorpheusT1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: failed LE

Sounds weird,

I dont know much about converters and how to assemble a LE.

But the positive on the Seoul is the lead with no notch in.
The one with a notch is the Negative.

Benny

goldserve

Flashlight Enthusiast

Single worst problem is weak ground connection. Some ground connections can measure up to 300 ohms that i've seen.

ianb

Enlightened

I got a little annoyed with this and have started again...

in the mean time, I have started and completed an Aleph LE! I'm really pleased, its a

GD500
Seoul P4 U-bin
Aleph 3 (38mm reflector) on a 1 x 123 body with clicky all chrome :D (thanks DirkP :thumbsup: )here...https://www.candlepowerforums.com/posts/1816247&postcount=7

and it only works! The output is impressive, I have a TnC Lavalamp with the same sort of LED at 1A and the output is really quite noticeably blue (to the connosieur :) ) but this is nice and neutral. I have to compare it to my Mclux III PD with V1 tint later.

I went for the GD500 because I want to have a reasonable runtime with 1 x CR123 or RCR 123(the only body I have for the gorgeous chrome A3 :D

I will post some pics when I find my camera later,

finally thanks to McGizmo :thumbsup: as I followed his excellent tutorial on building an Aleph LE...
http://dmcleish.com/CPF/Aleph-LE-Build-Notes/index.html

thanks, Ian :)

Last edited:

jch79

**Do Not Feed The Vegan**,
Re: failed LE (but completed an Aleph LE now!)

Awesome Ian! :thumbsup: It gives me some hope when my Seoul P4's arrive, and I can finally take the soldering kit out of the box and have my first go at soldering!
john

ianb

Enlightened

jch79, excellent, Do It! , theres a special feeling to making a light yourself :D
Good luck, I am a soldering newbie but am really enjoying it.

Ian :)

ianb

Enlightened

a couple of pics...

and a rough beam shot, its only really the hotspots though. On the left the A3 on the Right a Mclux III PD UV1J, both with fresh cr123's. The spill is similar on both, the A3's being stronger. You can see the very cool tint from the P4.

ianb

Enlightened
:eek: thanks Colin,
I see so many really nice pictures on CPF I try my best to get them clear as possible,