"Throw"

Curious_character

Flashlight Enthusiast
This was written in reponse to a posting in the Cheers-and-Jeers section, but I thought it's more appropriate here. I hope it'll be helpful to some readers. I'd very much appreciate any corrections for any technical errors I've made -- as I say, I'm not really an expert at this.

--------

As far as I can tell (I'm not a light or optics expert), "throw" isn't a technical term like illuminance and luminous flux, but something used pretty casually in places like CPF. Here, it's used in at least a couple of ways. One is the brightness (illuminance) of the brightest part of the beam. Until I happened here, I just referred to that as being how "bright" a light was. "Brightness", though, doesn't seem to be a defined technical term either, so some people use it to mean the total amount of light produced by a flashlight. To those folks, a flashlight that lights a big area with a dim light can be "brighter" than a light sabre that'll make a hawk's eye glow back at a mile, if it puts out more total light. So we have "throw" as something that the light sabre has more of than the floodlight.

Total light output is measured in lumens, and there's only a single number for a given light at a given setting. This can be spread out in a flood or focused into a very sharp beam with a reflector or lens without changing the total amount of light or lumen value. The brightness or illuminance you can bring to bear on an object at some distance and in some direction is measured in lux. This is commonly normalized to a distance of one meter. Usually, a single value is given for a light, and this is the brightness or illuminance at the brightest part of the beam. That is, it's the light's maximum lux at one meter. So if we take two lights with the same total output (lumen value) and sharply focus one, it'll have a higher maximum lux value at a given distance.

Lux is often referred to as "throw", since it's a measure of how bright the brightest part of the beam is. But "throw" implies a distance, like how far you can throw a rock, not a brightness. Referring to lux at one meter as "throw" isn't consistent with this concept. My first encounter with this term was on Quickbeam's Flashight Reviews web site, where he used a consistent definition. (Since it's not a technical term, it's subject to being defined differently by different people.) His definition is this: It's the distance in meters at which the brightest part of the beam will produce an illuminance of one lux. That provides a rational way to compare how far away you can light things up with different lights. A light with a "throw" of 30 meters lights up a possum at 30 meters just as brightly (one lux, in fact) as a light with a "throw" of 15 meters does when the possum is 15 meters away. The possum is as bright at 20 meters with the 30-meter "throw" light as one at 10 meters with the 15 meter "throw" light. So it suits me as a logical definition which describes how far a flashlight can "throw" its light. One lux, by the way, is pretty dim, but you could read by it with dark-adapted eyes.

It's this definition that I used in my earlier posting. An important thing to keep in mind is that this "throw" distance isn't directly proportional to the lux at one meter which a light produces. The relationship is a square law -- the "throw" distance is proportional to the square root of the one-meter lux value (or the lux value at any fixed distance). So if one light has twice the lux value at one meter, the "throw" is only about 1.4 times as great. You need four times the lux value at a given distance to double the "throw".

Quickbeam chose one lux as the illumination level at the "throw" distance. This is a pretty arbitrary choice, and you could argue forever about how much illuminace you need to "see" or "light up" an object. The light, after all, doesn't travel out and abruptly stop at some brick-wall "throw" distance, but continues getting dimmer and dimmer and dimmer as the distance increases. In back-yard tests, one lux is a reasonably descriptive value in my opinion, and it has the advantage of simplicity -- by using one lux as the "throw" limit illuminance, the "throw" distance in meters becomes numerically simply the square root of the lux at one meter. So if you have 100 lux at one meter, the "throw" is 10 meters -- you can light up an object 10 meters away with an illuminace of one lux. The paragraph immediately above this one is true regardless of what illuminance value you declare to define the "throw" distance.

My thanks to Quickbeam for establishing this definition of an otherwise vaguely-defined term. It makes a useful and quantitative way to directly compare lights. Whenever I get the opportunity, I like to encourage folks to use this definition so we can all communicate better by meaning the same thing when we use the term.

[My apology to Quickbeam, whom I mistakenly referred to as Quicksilver in the original posting. It's now been edited to correct the error.]

c_c

Last edited:

Art Vandelay

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks Curious_character. You are right. Lux, throw, and lumens get mixed up all the time.

From what I have heard, in 2003 Quickbeam, a member of CPF, redesigned his list of lux measurements on his site FlashlightReviews.com. His updated list gave the square roots of the lights lux measurement. This made it possible to more easily compare how far different lights could shine into the distance.

A flashlight that measures 10,000 lux at one meter can illuminate a surface 100 meters away at one lux. A flashlight that measures 5,000 lux at one meter can illuminate a surface 70.71 meters away at one lux. The first light has double the lux of the second light but it can't shine twice as far as the second.

The inverse square law says that light spread over twice the distance is spread over four times the area, but it only has one fourth the intensity. If the light has 2500 lux at beam center at one meter, we can find the square root (50). This tells us that the flashlight has enough relative throw to illuminate a surface approximately 50 meters away with one lux of light.

If I compare the square root of the 10,000 lux of the first light (100) with the square root of the 2,500 lux of the second light,(50), I can say that the first light has twice the throw of the second light.

Here is a good brief page on lux, throw:)
http://www.flashlightreviews.com/features/lux.htm

Ra

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well said guyzz!!

Many times, I've disscused this with several CPF-members that could not beleve throw has not much to do with lumens output. Ofcource you need lumens! Without lumens no throw !!

But for some it was hard to understand that it was possible that a 500 lumen torch could throw better then a 2000 lumens torch !

One thing I must add tho.. The inverse square law only works when the size and surface brightness of the lightsource do not change !!

Working with reflectors, especially with bigger torches, chances are that a lux measurement at one meter is not reliable! Small torches (or flashlights) may use the entire reflector-surface for illumination at one meter, bigger torches may not!
So in real life: First determine if the entire reflector is lit by the source, by looking into the reflector using a filter, before taking a lux-measurement!

If the reflector is not entirely lit, two things can be te cause: You are too close to the torch, or, the lamp is not properly collimated!

With my super thrower Maxablaster, I need to walk at least 200 meters away from the torch to get a reliable lux-measurement!

At that distance it produces about 1200 lux :duck:

And don't forget: more distant lux-measurements are more influenced by the atmosphere !

Regards,

Ra.

Last edited:

mckeand13

Flashlight Enthusiast
How is "throw" defined?

I see almost every flashlight manufacturer from mainstream to more custom state some sort of "throw" distance in their light specs.

What does that mean? A stop sign can be fully illuminated at that point? A car can be illuminated at that point? A 40ft. tall spruce tree? I don't get it. What's the reference?

Examples:

- A Malkoff Hound Dog is listed as: "[FONT=verdana,arial,helvetica,sans-serif]It was designed primarily for throw (reach) and will easily illuminate objects at 1000+ feet.[/FONT]"

- A Thrunite TN32 is listed as "Max beam: 979m"

The list goes on....

I'm not knocking their descriptions, just trying to figure out if there is some standard or what companies mean with their statements.

TEEJ

Flashaholic
Re: How is "throw" defined?

I see almost every flashlight manufacturer from mainstream to more custom state some sort of "throw" distance in their light specs.

What does that mean? A stop sign can be fully illuminated at that point? A car can be illuminated at that point? A 40ft. tall spruce tree? I don't get it. What's the reference?

Examples:

- A Malkoff Hound Dog is listed as: "It was designed primarily for throw (reach) and will easily illuminate objects at 1000+ feet."

- A Thrunite TN32 is listed as "Max beam: 979m"

The list goes on....

I'm not knocking their descriptions, just trying to figure out if there is some standard or what companies mean with their statements.

cd is the unit you need...for the best comparison.

:D

If you are seeing a claim by a reasonably reliable light maker/seller - they all use the ANSI standard, which is the throw to 0.25 LUX.

That means they are measuring the distance at which the beam intensity has dropped to 0.25 lux. Lux is what a light meter measures...its how bright the light reflected back to your eyes looks, from the target that the beam hit, and bounced back to you.

The intensity (lux) falls off according to the inverse square law....which essentially says the light is four times dimmer at double the distance, or, is 4x brighter at half the distance, etc.

That means that if you know the lux at any given range, you can calculate the lux at any other given range.

In real life, just to complicate things, lights with a lot of throw have beams that are not fully formed close up, so, the above relationship really doesn't apply until after the beam has fully come together....wich might require a measurement at 5 - 30 METERS, and then calculations to get the other ranges.

The Most useful specification for comparing throw is the cd.

cd is the lux at one meter (Back calculated to give a standard reference point).

The OTHER thing to keep in mind that while 0.25 lux is the standard ANSI cut-point...its NOT a useful amount of light for long range vision.

Most people need closer to 1 lux on a long range target to resolve anything ABOUT the target.

As you now know that 1 lux is FOUR TIMES AS BRIGHT as 0.25 lux....all you need to do is take the claimed/ANSI range in meters, and, cut it in HALF to get 4x the brightness...IE: The meters to ONE Lux...the more useful range of most long range lights.

A lot of sources refer to 0.25 lux as equivalent to the lighting provided by a full moon, albeit, its the AVERAGE amount of light by the moon, so, more like a 1/2 moon's light in practice.

If THAT were enough light, well, you'd only need a flashlight outside ~ 14 days a month.

Last edited:

AbbyY

Newly Enlightened

cd is the unit you need.

... and binoculars to see the end of the road in case of ultrathrowers such as EagleTac MX25L2 Turbo SBT-70, Olight SR95S UT, Thrunite TN32, Niwalker BK FA-01 etc...

Last edited:

TEEJ

Flashaholic

... and binoculars to see the end of the road in case of ultrathrowers such as EagleTac MX25L2 Turbo SBT-70, Olight SR95S UT, Thrunite TN32, Niwalker BK FA-01 etc...

LOL

In practice, a light's claimed/MAXIMUM throw is only a reference point.

If a light has a "One mile range" for example, some people just consider that they'll never need to see anything a mile away, so question why they should get that light.

In practice, 200 - 400 meters might be a more realistic USE range for that flashlight.

To see a high contrast target, say a guy in a white shirt standing in a green field...1 lux is about the minimum at long range. If he's wearing a dark shirt, you might need more like 15 lux to tell he's there.

If a light has a range" of ~ 1,610 meters (~ 1 mile)", its putting 0.25 lux on something at that distance. No white shirt or dark shirts are visible, but a white water tower might be, etc.

If the guy is 800 meters away, that get's you ~ 1 lux, and, the white shirt but not the dark might be visible.

If the guy is 300 meters away, that gets you ~ 7 lux, and, the guy in the dark shirt might not be visible yet.

If the guy is 200 meters away, that gets you ~ 15 lux, and, NOW you might see the low contrast/dark shirted guy.

So, if looking for prowlers or other low contrast targets out there in the dark...you might NEED a light RATED at a mile throw to SEE the prowler at ~ 200 meters.

These variables are what make a "definitive" range meaningless, as there is NO range that will ALWAYS be correct, if its related to a use.

What is fair though, is that all else being equal, the light with the highest cd WILL tend to allow you to see the furthest.

RetroTechie

Flashlight Enthusiast

If you are seeing a claim by a reasonably reliable light maker/seller - they all use the ANSI standard, which is the throw to 0.25 LUX.

That means they are measuring the distance at which the beam intensity has dropped to 0.25 lux. Lux is what a light meter measures...its how bright the light reflected back to your eyes looks, from the target that the beam hit, and bounced back to you.

The intensity (lux) falls off according to the inverse square law....which essentially says the light is four times dimmer at double the distance, or, is 4x brighter at half the distance, etc.

That means that if you know the lux at any given range, you can calculate the lux at any other given range.
That's the common understanding. But it's an approximation, where one assumes the light source to be a point in space (size: 0) that radiates light out into a sphere. Or part of a sphere (the section where you're measuring) - but still evenly distributed, radiating out as if coming from a point source. Since the surface of a sphere grows as diameter^2, if you measure the light passing through a m2​ of that sphere's surface, then for example on a sphere with 3x diameter you will measure 1 / (3^2) or 1/9th the intensity you got on the smaller sphere. Pick an arbitrary distance from point source (1m), an arbitrary illuminance there (0.25 lux?), and you have a direct relation between what you measure @ 1m, and how far you must go to measure 0.25 lux. Hence our 'throw = square root of cd' simplification.

However: a flashlight is not a point light source. Quickly skipped through that book linked above, and it had this choice quote:
Lenses and reflectors can drastically distort inverse square law approximations, so should be avoided where precision distance calculations are required.
Suppose for example you have a theoretical flashlight, with a point light source, which has a reflector that produces a beam exactly the size of the reflector, and not going 'sideways' to any degree (read: all light rays moving exactly parallel from there). Such a beam would be just as bright @ 1 m as it would be @ 1 km.

Of course perfect throwers don't exist, the beam will always divert somewhat. So if for example you look from space at that beam, and then look again 10x as far away, that square root approximation will apply. Of course you might have a thrower where the beam goes 'inward' such that it'll reach a maximum beam intensity some distance away from the light, only to get lower further out. And depending on light source & optics, you might have to move a loooong way out before that thrower approximates a point source.

So therefore...
His definition is this: It's the distance in meters at which the brightest part of the beam will produce an illuminance of one lux.
Is the only correct (and simple, too) definition imho. How far do you have to walk away from the light to measure eg. 0.25 lux.

Of course all this is disregarding athmospheric conditions, which even for a totally clear sky are non-negligable. Air isn't a perfect vacuum you know... :D Especially for long-distance throwers, that could be a big factor.

RetroTechie

Flashlight Enthusiast

Btw: for even longer-throwing lights, the curvature of the earth might get in the way. Which would leave the moon & other planets to point your light at.

Can't say I've had that problem so far though...:crackup:(more something for the laser ppl among us :) )

Etsu

Enlightened

Btw: for even longer-throwing lights, the curvature of the earth might get in the way.

Yup, at about 10-20 miles, you won't be able to see someone because the curve of the Earth has gotten in the way.

But long before that, atmospheric dispersion is going to reduce the theoretical throw of your light. If the air is humid or smoggy, you may not get much throw at all even with your best thrower.

Mr. Tone

Flashlight Enthusiast

Even BVH's Carbon Arc had a beam distance of only 5.6 miles. So no earth curvature problem yet, although he said the beam was visible from 35 miles away on a good clear night. :bow: :bow: :bow:

TEEJ

Flashaholic

The bottom line is that (ANSI) throw is essentially defined as the range at which the intensity of the light on the target drops to 0.25 lux.

And, obviously, if its foggy/snowing or there's a planet in the way, etc, sure, that's going to have an impact....but the assumption is that its under "normal" conditions.....which of course means its a crap shoot. :D

So, when they use (ANSI) throw at least, you can at least say that the light with the highest cd is supposed to throw farther....even if you don't know EXACTLY what you can see at any given range under your actual conditions of use...its a comparative tool.

The rules of thumb I gave work in practice though, as far as range and contrast. You simply need to gain first hand experience in seeing what does what under what conditions to get a feel for what the specs translate to in practice.

One guy may judge the "range" of his light by how far away he can make out a transmission line tower, and another how far away he can shoot a coyote, and another how far away he can find the shore from his boat, and so forth....and they are ALL correct....as that's the range that the light has FOR THEIR USE.

But if comparing specs, the highest cd is telling you it has the longest range....and after that' its just matter of if the cd was rated properly, or, if it was measured with ebay lux or at the wrong distance for beam formation, etc.

Last edited:

dss_777

Enlightened

There are (at least) three topics on CPF I figure I'm just not smart enough to really understand: cd, lux, and lumens. Well, there are actually four things, if you count anything TEEJ posts. ;)

I always figured "maximum throw" was that distance beyond which you reach the "I can't see ***!" threshold.

WmArnold1

Newly Enlightened
Excellent post TEEJ! :)

The only thing I have to add is that "throw" frequently assumes that your eyes are fully dark-adapted where 0.25 or even 1.0 Lux is useable. But, ambient light and even the spill can prevent or limit that.

Technically, lasers can nearly "throw" to the moon. The point being, as many have already said, ANSI throw is only relevant when you are comparing lights with similar beam geometries AND you know how much spill you can tolerate regarding dark-adapted eyes.

I guess the bottom line is that you need to read a lot of CPF before deciding on any particular flashlight. ~grins~

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk