Longbow and Seoul P4

chrisse242

Enlightened
The longbow line of lights and among them the longbow micra where really good lights when tey came out. Super solid, with excellent anodizing and using the kroll switch they had a real momentary clicky. The only thing they lacked was - output. Shortly after they came out, other, brighter and cheaper lights appeared.
Soon many wanted to mod their longbow lights and as often, McGizmo had the solution. He offered the McCapsule - a longbow compatible heatsink that can be used with several different converter boards. Like others, I modded my micra with one those capsules, using a U-Bin Luxeon and a wizard2 converter board. Now everything was nice untill those cree Led's appeared. Suddenly, my light was out of date. Mounting a cree to this light, using an ims17 reflector didn't seem like a good idea. But then I read about the new seoul led and saw a chance.
I ordered everything I needed from the shoppe and when I got the parts, everything worked like a charm. The seoul led fits perfectly into the led board and using arctic alumina adhesive and the annodized heatsink, I didn't have to worry about isolating the slug.
I had to sand down the base of the reflector a little to get rid of some rings in the beam, but once that was done, I saw a nearly perfect beam.
Using a seoul P4, the longbow is a super simple, super reliable light that will take a beating better than many others while still being as bright as a single cr123 light can get. (at least for now)
By the way, I'm more than happy with the tint my seoul P4 puts out.

Some pics:

Beamshots, both modules using a wiz2/750 converter board, one with a u-bin Luxeon the other with a U-bin seoul p4. Guess which one is which?
All camera settings on manual.

beamshot2.jpg

beamshot1.jpg

The two modules side by side

module.jpg

So if you have a longbow light, hidden deep down in the back of a drawer, go for it and put new life into it.

Chrisse

acusifu

Enlightened
I have a McCapsule 500NG in my micra would love if someone would put a SSC P4 in mine.

chrisse242

Enlightened
Do you just want to replace the led? That might be hard if it is glued to the capsule. In that case I´d build a new capsule. If there is just thermal paste, you can simply unsolder the wires, clean everything and replace the led.

LightBeing

Newly Enlightened
Nice Chrisse - I threw a Cree in my Longbow when they first came out and used an optic with good results. Just used the stock capsule even after pulling to old green Lux and doing a little dremeling. Longbows are sweet lights in their finish and machining - and with a mod like yours they standout as a great light with the latest Lumens. Mine was a twisty - does the Longbow switch do momentary and switch all the way on (tactical style - not reverse clicky)?

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast
BTW, is the Longbow Micra still available anywhere? I really admire this light and have wanted to pickup one for the longest time! Preferably with the twisty tail.

Can someone point me to someplace/someone to buy from?

Much appreciated!

:bow: