Seoul T bin, U bin difference

Nake

Flashlight Enthusiast
Anybody know the difference in lumen output between the two? I can't seem to find anything on the T bin.

Monolith

Enlightened
I believe those are spec'd at 350ma but I couldn't find that stated in the spec. Overdriven at 1A you might be able to hit 240 lumens with a U bin according to some posters.

beefy6969

Newly Enlightened
Whats next after Seoul U-bin? Whats next after the latest CREE bin?

Once the new bins come out will the old bins drop in price dramatically? Hopefully under $3/ea.

tebore

Flashlight Enthusiast
The 240lm rating at 1Amp is a little deceptive. The current "warmer" tint LEDs such as the USWOI only hit about 210lm. The "rare" ones that actually hit 240lm at 1A is the UxxxH. They are usually UYxxH, so it's very blue.

I'm waiting for a USWOH to come out myself.

BPH

Newly Enlightened
As Monolith noted;
By definition all "T" bin are 70-91 lumens at 350 mA
By definition all "U" bin are 91-118 lumens at 350 mA
Additionally,
The SEOUL PDF shows that at 1 amp, you get 220% of the output at 350 mA.
So:
"T" bin 154-200 lumens at 1 amp.
"U" bin 200-260 lumens at 1 amp

tebore, have you seen any testing for lumen output form these or are you just estimating from experience?
-BPH

tebore

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been playing with a U-bin with a I-bin vf. and comparing to other lights so on my part I'm estimating.
Newbie's post show it's short of 240lm. Reading others experiences online they are saying the H-bin vf emitter is where they derived at the 240lm rating at 1A.

The H-binned vf U-bin is the most efficient emitter SSC has and of course they'd give you their PR off their cream of the crop.

If you think about it it's within a margin of error between 210-230. At 1A the emitters will all pass the 200lm mark. SSC emitters have a little trouble at 1A anyway Newbie's post show that as well. I'm interested in the 350mA rating myself, for sure my emitter is not hitting 118lm driven at 350mA.

BPH

Newly Enlightened
tebore,
The vf effects the lumens per watt, but not the lumens per amp, so (all other things being equal) would not effect the 240lm at 1A number.
If, for some unknown reason, H binned vf LEDs happen to have higher output (still within the bin) than other vf binned LEDs, then ok they may be preferable, but not due specifically to the vf itself.
Additionally, NewBie's tests don't measure lumens and he is still working on a device (integrating sphere) that would allow him to compare and measure the lumen output of LEDs, but he hasn't assembled yet, so no data on absolute lumen output for the Seoul emitter at this time.
-BPH

tebore

Flashlight Enthusiast
Why wouldn't the vf affect it? Power goes in, heat and light come out. Current alone doesn't make light.

Ok so I interpreted Newbie's post. His SSC at 1Amp ramps up not to much higher than the LED at 350mA.

What I hear is the most efficient LED is used to get the 240lm rating. Point is: Wouldn't you like to have a USWOH? I know I would.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
The Seoul P4 U bin modded to my VIP biased to 1 amp to the led may be putting out 150+ lumens. This is a guestimate based on bounce with lightmeter with various lights that I have at hand. It is much brighter than my Cree P4 modded to one of my Chameleons. This at 1 amp to the led. Prilmary factors affecting output are reflector losses, and heat losses. In a perfect situation I would proably be seeing those 200+ lumens.

Bill

BPH

Newly Enlightened
The LEDs are rated and tested for lumen output at a given current (say 350ma), not at a give vf. So, for a U bin LED, the output will be fixed at 91-118 lumens regarless of what the vf is (can be high or low).

The vf will effect the total power consumed (converted to heat), and will effect the efficiency, in lumens per watt, but Not total lumens per Amp.
If you have a high vf you will produce more heat, which will likely reduce output as it heats up in most situation (typical heat sinks).

Yes, I agree totally that a lower vf is very good!!
I am most concerned with efficiency (caving lights) so a low vf is great (more lumens per watt).
And a low vf can also be good because if it is low enough, you can use a down converter (buck) for your regulator, which is more efficient that a combo buck/boost converter needed for a high vf (if running off a single lithium cell, which I am doing).
-BPH

270winchester

Flashlight Enthusiast
use that light on a freezing day and you just may hit the 240 lumen mark.

Bullzeyebill said:
The Seoul P4 U bin modded to my VIP biased to 1 amp to the led may be putting out 150+ lumens. This is a guestimate based on bounce with lightmeter with various lights that I have at hand. It is much brighter than my Cree P4 modded to one of my Chameleons. This at 1 amp to the led. Prilmary factors affecting output are reflector losses, and heat losses. In a perfect situation I would proably be seeing those 200+ lumens.

Bill

Monolith

Enlightened
Bullzeyebill said:
The Seoul P4 U bin modded to my VIP biased to 1 amp to the led may be putting out 150+ lumens.
How do you go about re-biasing the VIP?