CR123 2C ROP-Brighter w/Mag xenon 5 cell lamp?

willrx

Enlightened
Question. I installed glass lens and LOLA Pelican lamp in my 2C Mag w/3 x cr123's. It actually seems brighter with the Magnumstar 5 cell xenon bulb that I had in before. Please shed some light on me (no pun intended). Thanks.

leeleefocus

Newly Enlightened
I'm not an expert but i would say because of the much heavier current required by the pelican bulb the voltage is sagging heavily under load. I don't know much about the cr123 batteries as i always use ni-mh. I hope someone with a bit of experience with the cr123 batteries will chime in and help you out.

willrx

Enlightened
Thanks. Another member replied and mentioned that the 5 cell magstar lamp (6V) is being grossly overdriven at 9V. The ROP low bulb is 7.2V I think.

bridgman

Enlightened
The ROP bulbs are also rated for 6v if you get the usual Sealed Lead Acid (SLA) versions, so they're both being overdriven about the same amount. I'm gonna cast another vote for voltage sag. The ROP Lo bulb draws about 1.5A at 6V while the Mag xenon only draws about 0.9A.

There are a few different versions of the Pelican Big-D -- alkaline, SLA and NiCad -- and the bulbs are all different. I heard a rumour that two of the three versions are both numbered "3854" and you have to make sure you get the SLA version. Are you pretty sure that you have the 6V SLA 3854 Pelican bulbs ?

willrx

Enlightened
Yes, package says SLA. Dropped the rop bulbs, both high and lo, in my 6 C cell M*g with NiMH's and there seems to be significantly more light output. What is the simple explanation? Do NiMH's do something cr123's don't? Thanks. Forever learning.

missionaryman

Enlightened
CR123's are really not up to the 2 AMPS the 3854L is draining from them, mine got hot real quick and the light lost about 50% of it's output after about 4 minutes. Don't think it's safe to run the ROP LOW on 3 x 123A or the 5 Cell Numstar because it will flash the bulb too quick.
Perfect set up for a 2C is 2 x 18500 LiIon protected cells.

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hrmm... I have a ROP Low that runs on 18650s and a few other lights to compare it to. 4 D cells on a 3 Cell bulb. The 3x123 + KPR112 or KPR113 etc. The ROP completely blows the other lights away. It's been quite a while since I've thought about the approximate lumen ratings (I've been away from CPF for quite a while) but I think the rough estimate of the 3x123 + KPR112/3 was 180 lumens at best maybe closer to 150 and the ROP Low on 18650s was about 400 lumens.

I don't think your 3 123s are providing the current that 2 18650s would.

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use unprotected 18650s but if I recall, protecteds should work fine with the ROP Low bulb. I'd definately dig up some old threads or ask first.