SSC P4 in a KL1 head. What would happen?

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Since the KL1 has both buck/boost, I'm wondering if the SSC could survive in the KL1. I don't see why not, but I'm no expert which is why I'm asking. I also need to figure out what the output numbers would be. On 1 cell I think the KL1 runs at 350mah, and on 2 cells I think it runs at 500 or 550, not sure. Anyone know? With a Mcr20 reflector, that would make a killer little light! Waddya think?

BigBoy

Enlightened
If I do another mod - this will be it. The KL4-R caught my eye when it first was developed. With a Seoul and a sense resistor mod to the driver to bump the output up to say 700 mah, on a 3.7 volt rechargable LION - this could be just about the perfect light for me.

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
It works. If you're using the older (ribbed) KL1, replace the optic with a reflector. The TIR works well with the SSC-P4

Boosting the bias is now unncecessary IMO, unlike with the Luxeons. The output of the Seouls are such a big improvement that you can have both runtime and higher output at the same time.

Last edited:

grnamin

Enlightened
I just dropped one in last night in my KL1-R. Noticeably brighter than the previous UX0H setup. Can't tell by how much, though. I had to shave a little bit off the narrow end of the reflector. The beam is good, but kinda soft. I'm waiting on the McR-20 Seoul I ordered from the Sandwich Shoppe to see how that changes the beam profile. I used 1xR123 and 2xR123s and the P4 worked fine with them.

freewheelin'

Enlightened
I havent even seen a SSC yet but my Milky modded KL1 head w/Cree P3 and McR17xr is awesome on my E1L and it seems to run forever. I mainly use with used 123's I don't trust in my multi cell lights. IMHO it puts out as much light as my C3 with stock bulb.

zx7dave

Enlightened
KDOG3 - The KL4 also comes in black in one of the weapon lights. They are much nicer than the KL1...but the black KL4 is hard to come by.

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
zx7dave said:
KDOG3 - The KL4 also comes in black in one of the weapon lights. They are much nicer than the KL1...but the black KL4 is hard to come by.

The KL4 is also a LuxV, which I don't want. Low runtime, possibility of the dreaded donut hole, and you can't swap it out for a SSC/P4 because the driver board in the KL4 will blow the emitter...

A Seoul in a KL1 in 2 cell mode will probably put out something like 140-ish bulb lumens with probably 115-ish coming out the front - for 3 hours.

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
grnamin: Did you raise the emitter via copper disc? Thats' what I understand you have to do to get them to work.

grnamin

Enlightened
KDOG3: I didn't raise the emitter. I didn't know I needed to do that. My KL1-R with Seoul P4 works, though. :candle:

UWAK

Enlightened
CM said:
It works. If you're using the older (ribbed) KL1, replace the optic with a reflector. The TIR works well with the SSC-P4

Boosting the bias is now unncecessary IMO, unlike with the Luxeons. The output of the Seouls are such a big improvement that you can have both runtime and higher output at the same time.

What would happen to the beam profile if you retain the TIR? Is it still kinda square? Still great in throw department? Is it gonna have a usefull side spill? Cheers!

Frids

grnamin

Enlightened
I compared the following:
- Surefire U2 running 2xCR123 retrofitted with a Luxeon V WX0S
- Surefire KL1 running 1xR123 (measured at 4v) retrofitted with a Seoul P4 U-bin and a modified McR-20 reflector (driver board is stock at abour 500mA).

Here's the very low-tech comparison:
I held both lights about 5 inches from a white wall. I turned on the U2 at its highest level. I could stare at the beam on the wall without a problem. I tried the same with the KL1-R. The beam was so bright that I couldn't stare at the beam for more than 2 seconds without feeling pain in my eyes. The KL1 equipped with the SSC P4 is definitely brighter than the U2 with WX0S.

Last edited:

nakahoshi

Flashlight Enthusiast
TTIWWP
Ill make it harder for you to wait.

2seee.jpg

1seee.jpg

3seee.jpg

^^my Stock Driver (500ma) KL1-R-S vs My M-180 (milky)

4seee.jpg

Just look how bright the spill is, I just did these up real quick, tints and brightness settings are whatever mood my old camera was feeling, but you get the idea. It pretty much holds its own again my M-180, which is crazy. grnamin is right, its almost too bright too look at *(STOCK DRIVER!)*

If you use the Seoul McR, then you DONT need to shim anything, and its a perfect beam, NO donuts or dark rings or anything. This mod got me back into the CPF spirit, I kinda took a break but this cree stuff just pulled me back in.

-bobby

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh thats sweet. Just ordered that Seoul McR....didn't realize there was another version...

So I've got the following coming for this badass light.

E2D body - KL1 head - Z61 all black HA :)
WO tint Seoul P4 from AW
McR-20 Seoul from the shoppe.

Can't wait!

Last edited:

grnamin

Enlightened
Got my McR-20 Seoul tonight. Nice! The beam is much better than the turned down 20 I came up with. Looks like I didn't it down far enough. The McR-20S has no donut when shined up close to an object. My McR-20 has. :D May 1mm more to go. I really wish I could own a custom light, but I'm afraid that if I lose one or it gets stolen, then it will be very difficult to replace, hence, I stick to "customized" production lights. :) KDOG3, you'll become a Seoulman yet. :D

P.S. I had to use the stock domed KL1 domed lens because the McR-20S is shorter. If you use a UCL lens, it's not thick enough to seal the head.

Last edited: