Surefire warranty on an older model

ja10

Enlightened
I have a current generation L1 which needs to be sent in to SureFire. What happens when you return a model that is out of date? I know my L1 is still on store shelves, but if I hold off for a few months (I use the light every day, and don't really want to part with it right now), will it be replaced with the new version? That's assuming that it couldn't be fixed.

I do like the optic light, and need to see if I prefer it over the new version. Either way, does SureFire keep a steady stock of old parts, or do they just replace the light with the current version?

I've always wondered that since they have a lifetime warranty, but products change so much over time.

ja10

Enlightened
As the battery reaches maybe the last 5% of usability, the high mode stays the same, but the low mode fades away until it is totally gone. After low mode doesn't work any more, the high mode will work for a few minutes, but then it dies as well (it doesn't really fade - it simply dies).

I talked with SureFire, and from what I know from this board, my L1 is working backwards. The high mode should die off first, leaving it in 'moon mode' until the battery is totally gone.

Size15's

Flashaholic
Since the low mode with those older L1's is not regulated; it is entirely reasonable for the regulated high mode to function when the resistored low mode can no longer be powered.
It doesn't sound like there is anything wrong with your L1.

Al

ja10

Enlightened
I believe my low mode is regulated. By "older" L1, I mean the current version with the square beam. I consider the "new" version to be the higher output one announced at Shot. Am I still mistaken?

When I talked with SureFire, they said the high mode should dim first, leaving the low mode running for a couple hours. Maybe I should call them again and ask someone else.

Size15's

Flashaholic
ja10 said:
I believe my low mode is regulated. By "older" L1, I mean the current version with the square beam. I consider the "new" version to be the higher output one announced at Shot. Am I still mistaken?
I believe so. The L1 has never been regulated on low - even in it's current form.
If it's the current version, I suggest you call it the current version.
(because there is an old and an older version too!)

When the body shrinks for the new Cree version I do not know whether this will change.

ja10

Enlightened
Sorry for the confusion.

Maybe I'll check with SureFire again. When I explained what happens, they told me to send it in. I don't want to give up the light unnecessarily though.

I appreciate the clarification!