If you had to have one light - P1d ce or L2d CE?

ryan84

Newly Enlightened
I just recieved a fenix p1d ce and am very pleased. However, I noticed that the L2d CE has roughly the same output but with longer burn times - not to mention the more accessible AA battery. I'm having second thoughts now. The p1d ce seems a bit too small to use comfortably, although I do appreciate the size for EDC purposes.

I would like to hear what you guys would do. Would you keep the P1d ce or go for the L2d ce? I don't know if the bigger size of the L2d would be a problem since i will be keeping it on the belt - then again this might change when I see it in person.

Now I'm confused...

paulr

Flashaholic
Does the L1D CE appear in your thoughts for EDC purposes, or for that matter the L0D CE?

You should be able to get the L1D/L2D CE battery tubes separately within a month or so, i.e. if you buy the L2D CE now you can get the 1AA tube later and then set it up with either 1AA or 2AA depending on whether you want to EDC it.

I do think 2AA is awkwardly large in a belt holster, though fits fine in a pocket.

Newuser01

Enlightened
I agree that in edc, 1 cell is better. Which ever you choose, get the rechargeable solution in place.

For run times, I would carry another battery or better yet- another light!! Muhuahuahua!!!!:rock:

cheers!!

LightScene

Enlightened
You already have the best solution. I was just out walking in 5 degree weather and the P1D-CE was easy to use with gloves. Carry extra batteries and run times won't be an issue. You can buy a lot of batteries for the price of a new flashlight.

paulr

Flashaholic
I've had my L0D CE for about a week now and I think I just swapped the battery (NiMH) for about the 4th time. One of the swaps doesn't count because I drained it on purpose (informal runtime test) but still, these tiny lights eat batteries. I use the light a lot more on rechargeables than I'd be willing to on primaries, especially lithium primaries.

ryan84

Newly Enlightened
I didn't realize I could swap out the tubes. Are the tubes for the L2d CE out yet? And if so, am I able to place the head of the p1d ce on it?

I bought a bunch of batteries so I don't think that will be an issue.

Down the line I will buy rechargeables though.

Thanks for the help,

Ryan

Art Vandelay

Flashlight Enthusiast
Personally, I would go with the P1D-CE. It is small enough to hold cigar style so you can use both hands.

You can also put it on your keychain and hold it with a regular or reverse grip. The included keychain attachment and keys on a key ring give you a little more length so it is secure in even a big hand.

patycake57

Newly Enlightened
I think an L2 would be too big on the belt (unless you're really used to a lot on your belt). The P1D CE and L1D CE (I have and am happy with both) fit well on the the belt, with the trade off of some brightness for the L1D. However, I like the UI of the L1D better, and it is easier for 1 handed use because it's a little bigger and has a reverse clicky. I don't have any problem with the size of the P1D, and appreciate its smallness. If I could only have one, I'd keep the L1D CE ... but the P1D CE on high is a pleaser.

Skibane

Enlightened
I have both - However, given a choice of just one, I'd choose the P1D-CE. It's no less bright than the L2D-CE, and the run-time is perfectly acceptable (especially if you carry a spare battery). The small size and ability to operate at several reduced brightness levels make it an excellent EDC light.

The L2D-CE has the advantage of being able to use standard NiMH AA cells, but the P1D-CE works VERY well with LiIon rechargeables. The cost of LiIon cells has dropped significantly over the past year, so you no longer pay a huge premium for their smaller size and superior low-temperature performance.

BOTTOM LINE: The P1D-CE is well worth the extra $15.

Long John

Flashlight Enthusiast
Outdoors Fanatic said:
Neither one. Nothing can replace a SF L2 as an EDC... Not until SF starts selling the new L1.

But not seriously. All depends on the requirements. When the user expects throw of its light......SF L2 is a no go, when he want to spend around 70§......no go, keychain.........no go........................, only one cell primary..........no go.........

Best regards

____
Tom

cdosrun

Enlightened
I have both, and both are currently sitting in their belt holsters in the appropriate place. I went out last night though and the one I took off was the L2D. Whilst it is the one I grab first because of the clickie, it is quite long and if you are out for an evening it is the one most likely to be noticed and commented on.

The right one for you obviously depends on your usage but for me, the P1D is always there, whilst the L2D is only there when it is convenient to carry something bigger. Bearing in mind that the best one will be the one you have on you, I would suggest the P1D for EDC. Then if you can afford it, the L2D at a later date (plus the smaller tube as appropriate).

Oh, and yes, the 3V rechargeables are great. I carry a primary cell as well for runtime if I should need it, but I never have to worry about the Li-ion as it is topped up in the evening after I have used the light, so it is always full (very cheap running costs).

just my two penneth.

Andrew

Lobo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would definitely take the L2D, but my requirements might vary from yours.

*Size, the L2D bigger size is actually a plus for me since I dont EDC, and I want to hold something substantial in my hand when I do use the light. And the L2D is still not TOO big to carry with you.

*Clickie, hate twisties.

*Takes AA, maybe the biggest plus for me.

*Excellent UI, I'm not a big fan of all theese extra functions on the later generation of lights, and I would hate to click/twist through levels, but on the L2D you can just twist the bezel, and not care about the other lvls if you dont want to.

*Extra option of running the light with L1D body, and also L1D body with li rechargables.

*Price.

So really no contest for me, only thing I have to decide is to whether to get the L1D or L2D. :whistle:
But if you want to EDC the light, and dont think the L1D is bright enough, the P1D might be a better choice since it's so tiny and bright.

C

charge

I have the L2d-CE and I love it. I carry it in its belt holster. I carried a 2AA Minimag for years so Im used to the size. This light is perfect for me. I had an L2T for a little while and even bought the CR123 body for it. The 123 body was really awkward for me to hold, plus I prefer the AAs to the 123s. The only thing that gets carried in my pockets are my smokes and a lighter so I would never carry the L2D in a pocket.

Ive never used the P1D-CE but it looks like a great light if you like the small size.