Dealextreme 100mW green?

532nm

Newly Enlightened
Anyone try the Dealextreme 100mW green lasers for $99? Are they newwish?
I know there's no IR filter.

Ashton

Enlightened
If there's no IR filter, then it's probably, If I'm doing hte math right, at most a 35mw. Depending on who you ask, that could be a good deal, if the quality is good (after all, a 35mw greenie from wicked lasers costs from $159 up. If it's acctuall >35ml, then, providing the guts and case a decent, it's a very good deal, unless you truely want a high-power laser.

liveforphysics

Enlightened
Ashton- With one of the 20mW laser models from DX, I measured over 30mW of actual green light on the meter AFTER passing through a lab grade IR filter. Without the lab grade IR filter, the laser only measured ~8-10mW higher.

Temperature is the huge factor with these lasers. When very cold, you see very little to no green light at all. With the laser warm (close to body temperature), the laser puts out very minimal IR light with a strong green beam.

I belive these 100mW units use 500mW IR pumps, which means they definately have the ability to make the power they claim if they have a decent crystal. I talked with Kyle about carrying these higher power units, and it looked like it worked :D I can't wait to test the units that arive for me :D

Ashton

Enlightened
Wow, I guess they've improved a lot since I heard about them!

keep us posted, I'm considering a 100-175mw greenie, and even after adding an IR filter (hey after being told the IR halo's 3' wide, I'm terrified of green lasers w/o one!)

liveforphysics

Enlightened
Just keep in mind that the intensity of that 3' wide IR halo is going to be measured in microwatts/CM^2. Less IR energy intensity then your eye gets from lifting a frying pan off the burner and seeing the stove element softly glowing.

Laser light is dangerous to eyes because it puts its energy into a very small area. When your IR has spread out in a wide beam, you have lost the ability to put dangerous amounts of IR into your eyes (without re-focusing it into your eye or something silly).

erckgillis

Newly Enlightened
yeah, the problem is up close the "green" dissapears due a over voltage or current damage to the diode, crystals get misaligned, lack of a IR filter etc.etc.

...then a noob looks into the end to see what's wrong....poof. Green DPSS use 1016nm invisable IR drivers 200-500mW to get 30-100mW of filtered 532nm.

1000mW/CM^2 at any arms length is bad...

Always wear correct OD eye protection for the exact wavelength you are working with.

As we are all working on Mods for laser modules, we need to use unpowered units at all times.

Back on topic-

Anyone try or see these units...

http://www.snakecreeklasers.com/

http://lasersale.com/catalog/display_products.asp?

http://www.laser66.com/html/green_modules.html

hum...

liveforphysics

Enlightened
They actually pump 808nm into an NdYAG to create 1064nm which is then frequency doubled with KTP to make the 532nm green we all enjoy. No 1016nm IR involved.

I completely agree that if you look into a laser that you may not think is working that you will have issues. To me this kinda goes along with not sticking your kitchen knives into your eyes because you think they may be dull, or not putting your hand on the stove burner because it doesn't appear to be glowing. You can buy IR filters for very cheap, so if you are very bothered by IR, you can install one in a few minutes with a drop of glue.

WOW! I looked at the snakecreek 9mm 100mW green laser package and I was certian I would buy a group of them. Then I found some priceing... $700/unit, and you still will require optics/case/lens/(and IR filter if you choose)... All of those linked products were a bit on the pricey side to get me to jump...

erckgillis

Newly Enlightened
yes quality and US sources seem...pricey is polite....these are way over Chinese sources.

But with certified testing and true Green power output do ya get what you pay for?

I'll start a thread...

senecaripple

Flashlight Enthusiast
i think this is a sales price for the chinese new year. this laser may go up in price after the holiday. i hope i'm wrong. thinking of getting one, but want to wait for the reviews. but if i snooze, i may lose!

Ashton

Enlightened
my sentiments exactly, gonna wait for some reviews, though I suspect I'm gonna be kicking my own tail very hard for not pouncing on this deal!

liveforphysics

Enlightened
I will be reviewing them throughly when they arive. I have a couple sent via HK-post or EMS or whatever that painfully slow cheap shipping service is called.

I think I will order a couple more units and have one DHL'd to Dr.Lava for testing, and a have one DHL'd to me to have it arive sooner for testing.

Dr.Lava or myself will post some deep testing and reviews of all aspects of these lasers.

-Luke

senecaripple

Flashlight Enthusiast
thanx, awaiting for your reviews. unfortunately, they wont ship until after march 5th, guess thats when they re-open shop from their chinese new year celebration.
which i suspect they may raise their price.
i'll be checking the 20 mw laser i just received. if it lasts these couple of days, i may just order the 100mw this weekend.