$25 3W RGB flashlight

stoven

Newly Enlightened
Does anyone know anything about this light?

Think Geek Multi-color LED Flashlight

A $25 3W RGB flashlight with 10 different colors running off of 3 AA batteries. I need to pick one of these up. If anyone has one can you post any information?

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:

ACMarina

Flashlight Enthusiast
Never seen that one, although there is a Coast light that has 4 different colors that you could combine for more... 3AAAs, too..

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does anyone know if this is an actual RGB 3W diode? Or just a 1W Red, 1W green and 1W blue all under the same hood to make the claim of 3W? Might be a fun toy for $25.

defusion

Enlightened
No intel on the light, but it looks pretty good in the pictures

Also, thinkgeek hand-picks their gadgets, so i would imagine your not buying complete junk.
And you could also ask them for them more in-depth information.

Last edited by a moderator:

tanasit

Flashlight Enthusiast
Got both the Coast and this Color Shine Flashlight.

Coast is much better well made with separated push button switch for each color. The problem is that once you turn it on for more than one colors, you will have a tough time to turn it off because the switch is on/off and you can't tell which switch control what color, so instead of turning the red on off, you may accidentally turn the green one on! Nevertheless, it is fun to play with color combinations.

As for the Color Shine Flashlight (this is the name on the box), is has a main switch on the tailcap and the selector switch on the side. Once the main switch is turned on, the first default color is white and each following press will cylce through all color from white, red, green, blue, orange, light green, purple, yellow, light blue, pink, then if you press it one more time it will go into flashing mode changing through each color for 1 second each. One more press will give you a fading mode and changing color at the same time.

Press the button for 2 seconds will get you to the fast flash mode, then press 2 more second for middle fast flash, then if you press another 2 seconds, you will be back to normal mode. If press for 4 seconds, it will go into "sleep mode", which mean it will memorize the last stage and will turn on with a press. But I found this mode is unreliable, because when I left it in the sleep mode for a few minutes, it will flash green, fade green, brink green with no pattern, so I had to turn the main switch off.

When I look into the front lens, there is a white screen about 1.5 inch deep and you can't remove the head, so I can not tell what's behind it. As for the brightness, it doesn't look like 3 watter though but has a very wide beam like a foot wider for every foot farther, so at 4 feet away the beam is about 4 foot in diameter.

Later, the sleep mode seems to work better.

DTF

Enlightened
Update: Got one of the Color Shine flashlights from thinkgeek.com As a photographer, I think that this is a pretty nice item. Just the thing for adding a touch of color in a background or a highlight. I tore it apart and it is indeed a single 3w led with three (RGB) elements in a single four lead package. Has 3 regulators and a microprocessor.
The main parts
http://www.flickr.com/photos/77505277@N06/6943060953/in/photostream

Front end of emitter
http://www.flickr.com/photos/77505277@N06/6943060741/in/photostream

Rear of emitter
http://www.flickr.com/photos/77505277@N06/6943060827/in/photostream

rear of driver 3 resistors and a cap.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/77505277@N06/6943060453/in/photostream

Driver front
http://www.flickr.com/photos/77505277@N06/6943060595/in/photostream

Lens and molded plastic light engine housing
http://www.flickr.com/photos/77505277@N06/6943060073/in/photostream

The white is off, because white is simply the three diodes turned on at the same time and since each outputs a different level there is a tint. This is why Cree now makes a RGBW four element emitter so that it can also do high CRI.

A bit rough and crude but I don't see anything out there doing color better than this one.The Kroma (which I have two of) is a joke compared to this bad boy.

gcbryan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Embedded pics this time

Nice review and pics. I have one of these as well. It's more of a toy ( for me) but I didn't really see anything else out there like it and bought it since it is a true RGB emitter.

stxhunter

Newly Enlightened
It looks like a decent light for the money, but how is the throw? I've notice most multi-colored lights do not have very much distance in their beam.

DTF

Enlightened
It looks like a decent light for the money, but how is the throw? I've notice most multi-colored lights do not have very much distance in their beam.

Pretty decent, really. It will throw a nice solid circle of color on the ceiling. About the same or more than a Kroma (which is the only comparison that I have). The plus is that it is a very nice, distinct circle rather than the mess that the Kroma throws up there.

The UI is also pretty reasonable. It only took me a minute or so to figure it all out.

For most I figure this would be more of a toy, but as a photographer, this really is a versatile tool. Rather than having to mess around with gels, this one light can fill in backgrounds with a touch of color. It certainly would be nice if some high end builder would produce something comparable. I would be all over a full color RGBW McGizmo.

gcbryan

Flashlight Enthusiast

There's not a lot of throw in this light for several reasons. It's not a high powered emitter in the first place. The white beam is only 30 lumens.

It's a diffused light as well so that kills throw. It's diffused for a reason however. Different colors are different wavelength and they refract differently (think light going through a prism). The various colors wouldn't focus at the same point so they diffuse the beam.

The translucent dome is just a diffuser over a red, green, and blue emitter. If you look at the dome when you choose different colors you can see which emitters are on to make that color. For yellow you will see both the red and green emitters on and the blue emitter off.

Without the diffuser the green and red lights would focus at different point and the beam wouldn't look right.

Last edited: