A2 switch question

Sig229

Newly Enlightened
Ok I undersatnd how a A# switch works. I'm looking to get one for use with astronomy. Do people have problems with accidently hitting the switch too far and getting white? Or is it easy to differentiate between the two?

That kind of flash would be bad when your eyes are adjusted after an hour or two and all I want to do is get red to read a star chart.

A2, or shold I stick with my strion with a red filter(a bit too bulky if you ask me)?

Man this hobby is getting expensive, a x990, and now a A2. Which way to Flashaholic anon?

Bill

batman

Enlightened
hmm, i think think an L1 in red would be better. It's just about 1 lumen on low, and then about 20 times that on high. If you accidentally hit the high beam atleast it wouldn't be as bright as an A2, also it would be red light. Combine that with 90 hour runtime on low, i think it's pefect.

Many may ask, Batman-why don't you recommend him the Photon II in red? I say, NO, because there is no bezel! you'd be starring past the glare of the LED emitter itself to read your chart.

SaturnNyne

Enlightened
You can rotate the A2's cap one turn counterclockwise and lock out the incandescent beam completely, giving access to only momentary leds.

batman said:
Many may ask, Batman-why don't you recommend him the Photon II in red? I say, NO, because there is no bezel! you'd be starring past the glare of the LED emitter itself to read your chart.
That's what the Photon Freedom with covert bezel is for. Shouldn't buy any photon without it.

mwelch8404

Newly Enlightened
IMO, the A2 is "THE" light, but I would recomend the Streamlight Night Com for astronomy. The LED's are green and one is a VERY low setting.

The Choice between incan, LED with throw, and a very dim green, excellent at preserving night vision, is made with a switch seperate from the off on switch.

OTOH, you can set the tailcap on the A2 so only the LED's come on.

The Incan on the Night com is more of a flood than the A2, and may lend itself well to the set up and tear down stages of astronomy.