Does anybody else like the rings in their Fenix Cree?

Jasmes

Enlightened
I think they look cool. :cool:

Not sure why they'd be a problem. :confused:

adirondackdestroyer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Jasmes said:
I think they look cool. :cool:

Not sure why they'd be a problem. :confused:

LOL, is this post serious? I don't mind the rings in real world use, but I would hardly say that I like them. I wish that they weren't there and that the beam is as smooth as my C-LE beam.

Jasmes

Enlightened
adirondackdestroyer said:
LOL, is this post serious? I don't mind the rings in real world use, but I would hardly say that I like them. I wish that they weren't there and that the beam is as smooth as my C-LE beam.

I'm serious, I think they make the beam look cool. :)

coppertrail

Enlightened
I can't say that I like the rings, but I like the lights. I just don't understand why they didn't use textured reflectors in their CREE lineup . . .

Skibane

Enlightened
I care about them about as much as I care about the color the box came in. They are a non-issue.

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast
The rings sure do give the flashlight, um, personality.

I'm keeping a few for old time's sake ;)

LowBat

Flashlight Enthusiast
My ring isn't noticeable unless you're looking for it, and as long as it stays symmetrical it really doesn't bother me.

lumenal

Enlightened
The only way I notice the Cree "halo" is if I shine my light at the wall. In real world use, I don't even see it. In fact, I love the beam profile of my L2D. I'm also a fan of Inovas TIROS. Now, talk about rings, my Xo2 and Xo3 have plenty. Outside, don't even notice them.

Ofcourse, everyone is entitled to their own opinion. To me, I agree with Skibane - the ring issue is a non-issue...:grin2:

Flash-addict

Newly Enlightened
i don't like or dislike the rings. It doesn't really matter to me. I can't Imagine the rings being bothersome to anybody in real world use. All I care about are the lumens. the more lumens and runtime the better:rock:

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use my L1D CE and L2D CE for bicycle lighting, the rings are not an issue when used outside. I sacrifice the beam quality to get the most output possible for my use.

lightbug

Enlightened
We humans are weird animals, some of you might not like the rings but since they already bought the flashlight from the pre-order(first batch);they just gonna accepted it and tried persuade themselves that they have made a good choice.

Of course, some of us here really don't mind the rings in the flashlights. As long the rings don't hinder the normal usage, it is little important.

2xTrinity

Flashlight Enthusiast
The rings are somewhat interesting, at first I was trying to figure out how it was even possible that there would be a "dark" ring around the center, seeing as the entire spillbeam is caused by light coming directly out the front of the window -- it shouldn't be possible for it to be there to be a "ring" dimmer than the sidespill.

I then realized that it actually wasn't any dimmer, but an optical illusion because of the contrast between the hotspot, the yellowish "halo" caused by the reflection off the aluminum ring, and the spill beam in between. If you point the hotspot of the light at something black so that it gets absorbed, and look at the "dark ring" you can see it's actually the same intensity as the spill off at the edges.

I think using the light in practice since you don't get the apparent contrast, the illusion isn't as apparent -- I think this is why so many have said that it doesn't show up as mcuh in real-world use.

ringzero

Flashlight Enthusiast
Jasmes said:
I think they look cool. :cool: Not sure why they'd be a problem. :confused:

I don't own the P1D CE, but some of my favorite lights do have rings in their beams:

UK 4AA eLED - very ringy spillbeam
UK 4AA eLED Zoom - slight rings at edge of spillbeam
SL PP 4AA Lux - ring around the spillbeam
SL TL 2AA - slight rings betweem corona and spillbeam
SL TL 1AA - beam looks like a bullseye target

Do the rings bother me?

Nope, I rarely notice the rings.

I love all of these lights - their desirable characteristics far outweigh the rings in their beams. I use them all on a regular basis.