Surefire A2 - Red or White?

Atomic_Chicken

Enlightened
Greetings!

Well... I miss my A2 so much at this point, I'm probably going to buy another one this weekend. I owned a Red LED A2 that I sold last year, and haven't got around to replacing it due to my love affair with the Kroma that I purchased recently. However... I really do miss the nice incandescent beam and smaller bezel of the A2 - and since Surefire seems to be in no hurry to come out with an A2 sized Kroma, I think it's finally time for me to buy another A2.

My question: If you had a choice, would you buy the Red or White LED version of the A2? Why?

Best wishes,
Bawko

waterboiler

Newly Enlightened
Mine is white but I have debated a few times getting a red so I know how you feel.

I went with white for veratility, in general when I need a red light for night vision preservation, then I am looking for a very low level light. I already had a Nite-Ize red MM mod.

I use my A2 as a "utility" light in the woods when camping. I find the low is great for following distinct trails at night, shomehow I suspect the red low would not be enough light for that task.

You can always rig up a red filter on the white version but not the other way around. So if the task does not call for red or you need the better color rendition that the white led does for you ( no where near as good as the incan ) the A2-white is a more usefull light. To me that is what the A2 is all about - utility. O.K. the regulated incan is amazing as well :)

I too have debated a Kroma and maybe ditching the A2 when I get it but I am waiting to see what happens with CREE at this point. I would love a CREE'd Kroma and until then the rgulated incan on the A2 is just too appealing to dump.

leukos

Flashlight Enthusiast
As others have said, go with white. You can purchase a red filter (Bushwacker #1) to fit over the bezel if you want red.

image037a.jpg

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello Bawko,

I looked at both the Red and White and ended up with Yellow/Green...

Just to throw a wrench in the decision process. :)

Tom

Atomic_Chicken

Enlightened
Greetings!

SilverFox said:
Hello Bawko,

Just to throw a wrench in the decision process. :)

Tom

Why did you choose yellow/green?

Best wishes,
Bawko

greenLED

Flashaholic
A-Chicken, check out my review of A2 LED colors - there's tons of info and pics there that might help you decide. White is definitely the most versatile of colors in terms of color rendition and overall usefulness. That said, what are you going to use the light for? The loss of color rendition and depth perception with red LED may not be an issue if a low light "footprint" is what's you're after, etc.

But just to confuse things:
SilverFox said:
Ditto. Well, not exactly. :) I own an A2-WH, but if I were to ever buy another A2, one it'd probably be Y/G. Among other reasons: color rendition is not all that bad, brightness is ideal match for dark-adapted eyes (more in the review I linked).

I hope that helps.

Last edited:

Atomic_Chicken

Enlightened
Greetings!

I solved my A2 color dilemma in true Flashaholic form:
I bought one of each. I'm playing with them now... truly excellent! :)

Best wishes,
Bawko

Last edited:

DM51

Flashaholic
You are very good for morale and reassurance purposes. I made 2 deals on Saturday on A2s as well - like yours, 1 white & 1 red!

Atomic_Chicken

Enlightened
Greetings!

DM51 said:
You are very good for morale and reassurance purposes. I made 2 deals on Saturday on A2s as well - like yours, 1 white & 1 red!
Cool! Let us know how you like them when they arrive! :)

Best wishes,
Bawko

greenLED

Flashaholic
Interesting - the light has a little blue round paper dot on the bezel, the packaging says "A2-HA BL" on the label, but it's NOT blue! I don't know how this got past Surefire's QC process, into the wrong container, but I got a Yellow-Green A2 in a Blue A2 package!

I couldn't be happier. I'm thrilled indeed! ... ... but this is FAR better! I won't be modding this one, I really, really, REALLY like the Yellow-Green colored LED's. They seem to emit just the right amount of light for low-light activities, and so far using the light in my back yard the detail definition of things I shine on it seems quite good!
I'm trying hard not to say "told you so!". :laughing:

:twothumbs That's a really neat story, and I'm really glad you like your new Y/G A2. Looking forward to more field reviews from you!