first time selling flashlights, tough decision.

jayhackett03

Enlightened
well, this isn't a for sale thread, just a conversation thread.

for the past few months, i've collected a few flashlights:

Mag85
Rop (built myself, i was so proud)
G2
A2
Microfire M4
Fenix L2P
Fenix L1P
Mag 6D (xenon, UCL, uncammed MOP)
Mag 4D
Mag 3D (4 C cells, rubber tube)
Mag 2C
Pelican Stealthlight (bought used)
about 400,000 cheap plastic flashlights

S5000314.jpg

Well, theres some lights that i NEVER use. i just randomly point them at the walls and corners and check the beams. Like, the only lights i actually USE are my Fenix's, Surefires, and occasionally my ROP 2D.

I think i've decided to sell my Mag 85 and charger, and my Microfire M4. They're awesome lights, i just never use them. I don't need the Mag85 because i have a ROP high. And my 2D ROP has much more sentimental value to me. Its all beat up, just because of me...it has character.

Well, to the point, was is somewhat hard for you guys to sell your first flashlights? I mean, when i got my Mag85 and M4, i was IN LOVE with them, whats with that? I don't really "love" them anymore, i just "kinda" like them. Maybe i'm just more excited about buying other things, like this...

http://www2.trekbikes.com/images/bikes_my07/large/4300disc_smokesilver.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

AFAustin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sometimes it's a bit hard, when some nice memory is associated with a particular light. But this is a hobby where the technology is changing fast, and I enjoy trying out a few of the latest and greatest.

So, my philosophy is to buy good lights, at the best possible price, and take good care of them. Then, when I see that one is just sitting on the shelf and not seeing any action, I find it a new home where someone will get some real use and enjoyment out of it. The proceeds help fund a new purchase. Although the $ coming in will never equal the $ going out, it helps to keep the cost of this hobby reasonable (or so I like to tell myself :) ).

alanagnostic

Enlightened
I have yet to sell one of my lights. I suppose it's possible in the future but it's not really in my personality to sell high-quality tools. You never know when you'll need one. But I do a lot of research and only buy lights that I really think I'll use....and I buy quality lights that will last. I just wish I could find some Surefires at yard sales!:grin2: :sold:

Dustin Liu

Banned
:awman:

**edited** Too many icons, caused issues in thread.

Last edited by a moderator:

Illum

Flashaholic
I feel its time to start selling Inovas, streamlights et al that I dont use....but on second thought, :sigh: . on third thought I needed the money...on fourth thought I love my lights :mecry:

jumpstat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Rather keeping all those that you do not use, sell them to those needy. Better still donate to charity. I am sure there are many local welfare centres that can benefit.

jayhackett03

Enlightened
jumpstat said:
Rather keeping all those that you do not use, sell them to those needy. Better still donate to charity. I am sure there are many local welfare centres that can benefit.

good thought, but if they got a Mag85 i'm sure they'd be like :wtf:

fnmag

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, if you're not using it...I'd dump the A2. It's a silly little light with a paltry incan bulb and it's simply antiquated. Now, I know how difficult it is to start a sales thread on CPf. You have to figure out how to word the ad and then how much to ask. You have to post a picture. Then you have to put up with countless questions and takers that don't take it. What a pain. So why don't you simply decide on a yard sale price for that old thing and PM me so we can work out the details. I'm just trying to help you out. Cheers. :popcorn:

jayhackett03

Enlightened
fnmag said:
Well, if you're not using it...I'd dump the A2. It's a silly little light with a paltry incan bulb and it's simply antiquated. Now, I know how difficult it is to start a sales thread on CPf. You have to figure out how to word the ad and then how much to ask. You have to post a picture. Then you have to put up with countless questions and takers that don't take it. What a pain. So why don't you simply decide on a yard sale price for that old thing and PM me so we can work out the details. I'm just trying to help you out. Cheers. :popcorn:

well, today's saturday, and i just received that A2 in the mail on thursday. so....i'm still in love with it.

jumpstat

Flashlight Enthusiast
jayhackett03 said:
good thought, but if they got a Mag85 i'm sure they'd be like :wtf:
Can always sell them unused lights here at CPF and send the proceeds to Welfare, this is another feel good option.:naughty:

Casual Flashlight User

Flashlight Enthusiast
Jay, I've just decided to sell some of my own lights (Fenix's & Inova's), for much the same reason as you, I simply don't use them anymore, I've found my favorites and the ones I consistantly use...the others simply sit in a drawer, unused and forgotten about.

Root out the ones you don't use and sell them to somebody who will use them and appreciate them.

CFU

It wasn't hard the first time I sold my flashlights. I had just gotten married and needed the money. Plus they were just sitting around doing nothing.

There are a couple of lights now that I would not sell, such as my Surefire M6, because of the sheer usefulness and necessity of the light. When I go out into the mountain trails at night, alone, the Surefire M6 is the only light I trust to keep me safe... but other than that, it all comes down to how much I need and use I will get out of the flashlight. This will affect how I feel about selling it.

I've sold my Surefire L1-RD, C3-HA, A2-RD, M3T, G2Z-OD, Streamlight Propoly 4AA Luxeon, and Princeton Tec Shockwave II. These all went to buyers who really needed and appreciated the lights, as much as I need and appreciate my Surefire M6 Guardian for my purposes.

Thank you.

lednut

Newly Enlightened
I have found that flashlights take up much less space than cars,boats,motorcycles and guns,all of which I have a weakness for. The only thing that takes up less space,but still fun to collect is knives. So,why sell them?

LEDcandle

Flashlight Enthusiast
Jay,

I never got into the 'over-collecting' mode and have always tried to keep lights to fill niches (although some niches have 2-3 lights).

If you are cash strapped and really don't use some of your lights, just get the first one out of the door and the rest will be easier. If you aren't really cash tight, then just leave 'em around for collecting purposes.

It was hard for me to sell my 6P/KL3II (my first nice light and Surefire!) but I had a Gladius and they fit into the same niche; 2-cell, throwy LED lights with long runtimes. But I couldn't find an excuse to use both; so I sold the SF.

Even my Jetbeam MkI which was my fave AA light had to go to make way for the upcoming slew of AA lights. I know I'm not gonna use more than one and I already have an L1P as a 'rough use' light (failed to mod it) and a CL-E (coming), so I don't see myself needing anymore AA lights.

I have a LuxIII 2D Mag sitting around too; it's my most throwy LED light, and I can upgrade it to Seoul anytime (which I am intending), but I put it up for sale a couple of times because I hardly use it. My 'big light' niche will be filled by my M6 (modded with LED). It will be brighter yet lighter, smaller and sexier than the mag. I can't see myself carrying the Mag out for any reason over the M6.

If I really wanted more serious light, then I have my HID.

Go the practical way and you'll find your herd thinned fast :) You have quite a few mags, and I doubt you'll actually use more than one at a time anyway. Some are similar too (like Mag85 and ROP); you don't really need both. Maybe send off one of your mags for a multi-LED mod and get another modded to HID etc... then you'll have a reason to use them more. (Although I still doubt you'd bring 2-3 mags out on a single trip)

Or get them sexily machined/crowned/etc. by Mac or other modders so that at least they look nice as a collector piece.

Nice collection btw!! :D