Assistance Request: Identify These Vintage Flashlights?

Chronos

Flashlight Enthusiast
I hope someone can help me out. I was at my father-in-laws sorting through 50+ years of military equipment collecting. A couple of flashlights caught my attention, and I was hoping someone may be able to help us identify them (and maybe determine if they are of any monetary value).

The first is a black plastic flashlight made by Fulton Mfg. Corp, Ohio. It is labeld "U.S.N." and has raised text on the body describing how it is a "Permissible Electric Flashlight." The window is yellow (perhaps aging?) plastic, and it appears to have a metal reflector. The bezel does unscrew from the plastic body (assume to replace the bulb) and the tailcap is removable to insert/remove cells. It also has a metal clip towards the rear of the body, which appears to be used to attach it to a belt clip. It has a sliding switch with a momentary push button switch. I'm surprised at the condition.

My father-in-law said it was his fathers' light. His father spent his career working at the Washington Ship Yards (he worked as a machinist and a plater- later in life he gold plated elements for NASA and DOD satellites).

I'm half tempted to try out a couple of cells, but am worried that perhaps it used specific cells, and today's alkaline cells may be too powerful. Any information about this unique light would be appreciated.

The second light is a classic Eveready. My father-in-law believes he got in in the 50's or 60's. It does not have a window. The reflector appears to be a plated glass (may be plastic). The body appears to be lightweight aluminum.

Thanks for any help! :rock:

Chronos

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks Northern Lights! That is the light all right. Hmmm. Maybe I'll get a PR Cree/Seoul and surprise my FIL. :)

Northern Lights

Flashlight Enthusiast
macforsale said:
The USN light was one I had seen and used from time to time in the service. Usually stored in the Damage Control Locker. Permissible meaning OK to use in hostile atmosphere being gas tight and metal loop over the lamp. Not sure if the loop was to keep the contact of the lamp with battery from arcing if dropped or collapse the filament so it would not glow if glass was broken. Very sturdy construction and made out of a material that had a filler. Something like glass filled nylon but different. EDIT: From memory :) we used carbon-zinc 'D' cells, nothing special. I believe the lamp is your typical flanged PR lamp.
The coil I am familiar with in lights of that era is a tensioner. As long as the glass envelope is intact the spring tension keeps the bulb in contact with the circuit. If the glass breaks the filament could still be glowing hot for a moment or more. The tension now off allow the spring to retract the bulb out of the circuit, it is a safety switch for explosive atmoshphere.

Chronos

Flashlight Enthusiast
WOW! macforsale, you seem to have identified it. It is in great condition, having sat on a shelf for the past 40 years or so (without batteries). I was wondering about the spring over the lamp.

Mike L.

Newly Enlightened
I have seen a few of those "permissible" USN lights on eBay. They usually go for $20 or less. Yours seems to be in extremely good condition, so maybe you could get more. Isn't that bakelite it's made from?

--Mike L.

Chronos

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mike L.,

Thanks. Neither of any real monetary value then. When I feel better (my whole family has come down with a nasty flu) I may try an LED drop-in for the USN light too. That should make my FIL smile. :)

ACMarina,

Is it? Hmm. My FIL has kept it on a shelf for 40 years! That can only mean that McGizmo and Mofo have been copying someone else's designs... ;)

Just kidding. It is a 27LT-S that I took with me to help illuminate the dark corners and recesses of my FIL's basement and storage rooms.

If nothing else, I've learned that I will never, ever become a "pack rat." Yes, he probably has a million+ dollars worth of military collectibles, but it will take us 6 months just to properly record everything.