Fun with a Red Light

kelmo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was taking a walk with my wife and a friend through a large dark park the other night. I had my E2D and a red filter with me. I noticed that the red light really makes reflective signs and car tail light assemblies glow brightly at a distance even though one cannot see the red beam. A couple parked their car in the distance and locked it remotely (tail lights flashed) and started to walk away. I then flashed their tail lights with my red beam. They walked back to their car and locked it again. Again I flashed their tail lights. Again they checked it. After the 3rd time they started to look around but did not see me as I was standing in the shadows. Childish yes, fun you betcha!!!

Last edited:

kelmo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sub_Umbra said:
Rats (the four legged kind) can't see red. Freaky for you and freaky for them.

No kidding. You learn something new everyday!

What about cats?

flashy bazook

Flashlight Enthusiast
cute story!

I tried my red SF L1 (1st gen) on gold suspended in liquid, a VERY pretty effect.

flashy bazook

Flashlight Enthusiast
hm...I've never actually done any pics here, maybe I could try it at some point. Maybe once I get the Lumapower M3 it might be worth posting pics, as I think we've only seen pics of it in engineering samples, and not the real thing.

but I'd need some kind of website account where I could upload the pics so I could link to them from here, I don't have attachment priviledges at CPF.

ghostguy6

Enlightened
flashy bazook said:
hm...I've never actually done any pics here, maybe I could try it at some point. Maybe once I get the Lumapower M3 it might be worth posting pics, as I think we've only seen pics of it in engineering samples, and not the real thing.

but I'd need some kind of website account where I could upload the pics so I could link to them from here, I don't have attachment priviledges at CPF.
Im an admin at www.mypicgallery.com so you can send them to me and I can host them for you if you dont want to start an account of your own.

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Lux III red/orange is particularly bright. Very fun light to play with. It is reverse polarity though, so you need to keep that in mind.

Did I mention they are bright?
icon10.gif

ROVER

Newly Enlightened
flashy bazook said:
cute story!

I tried my red SF L1 (1st gen) on gold suspended in liquid, a VERY pretty effect.

Are you talking about Goldschlager?

Cydonia

Enlightened
Reminds me of the days when red laser pointers were new and amazing. I used to mess with people all the time... moving red dots on their walls... they must have thought it was poltergeist activity or something.

jumpstat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Get a digital slr, remove IR filter of slr, install high power zoom, preferbly f2.8 or faster, put an R72 infrared filter to the lens, shine the light to wet bikini and take photo--->he..he..he..

Bogie

Enlightened
Yes Red works verry well on reflective surfaces, When I go hunting I ware a Red headlamp that showes my white reflective tree markers from verry far away

angerdan

Enlightened
I noticed that the red light really makes reflective signs and car tail light assemblies glow brightly at a distance even though one cannot see the red beam.
This is what i even noticed during daylight, now i have to try it at night :)

Rats (the four legged kind) can't see red. Freaky for you and freaky for them.
Interesting, i must try this out! Luckily there is a place in my town where they even active during daytime.