SSC Star Board Question

davenlei

Newly Enlightened
Are the 'U' bin LED's from DX on a REAL Seoul star board? How do you ID a real Seoul star board?

Is there a major benefit between a real Seoul Star board and a generic star board?

Last edited:

2xTrinity

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think the real one may have better thermal conductivity. The one they have posted appears the same as the stars shown on official Seoul Literature. As of today or yesterday, they actually sell the bare emitters as well for $6.98 shipped. Unbelievable pricing on those things, considering about three weeks ago they couldn't be found for less than $15 shipped in small quantity.

ace0001a

Flashlight Enthusiast
No, neither DX or Kaidomain has the emitters on actual Seoul stars. I have some and it looks like they use ProLight Stars. ProLight is yet another LED manufacturer that is based in Asia so that's probably why they use them. I was told by Kyle that the emitters they sell "come from the factories that produce the lights". So the factory probably buys the SSCP4 U-bin emitters in massive quantities. Actual Seoul made SSCP4 stars are suppose to have better thermal performance. Just like if you bought a Luxeon on a star from the Lumileds verses Luxeons that have been put on an aftermarket star like the ones from Luxdrive. The reality is if you're going to be using these SSCP4 stars in regular inexpensive flashlights, they'll do work just fine. If you plan on using them in a high end flashlight, then you're probably better off buying an actual SSCP4 star from a dealer here like Photonfanatic (https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/154400).

davenlei

Newly Enlightened
The reason I ask about how to ID a real Seoul star is because I have received two emitters and stars from DX and the stars are different on the units.

One star looks like it is not a real Seoul star because there are no markings on it (just a black face) and it does not look like the star from the link you listed. The other star looks almost like the star in the link you gave (with the words 'Seoul', 'Zled' (not Zled-N), and the '+','-' markings on the front. The back does not have the dot matrix printing on it though.

So, that is why I was wondering how to ID a real Seoul star to see if DX is mixing the real star boards with non-real ones like a lottery to increase sales.

Last edited: