Titan Specs

Phredd

Enlightened
Now that I caved and pre-ordered a Titan, I was too anxious to wait for an announcement on the new specs. I called Surefire to ask if they knew the specs with the Cree. Eric, in tech support, said that the specs in the catalog are with the Cree. So, the range is 1 - 30 lumens with a run time of 50 hours. Then I asked if the 50 hour run time was at 1 lumen or 30 lumens. He said it's 50 hours no matter what the brightness is. I asked again to be sure and he said that it's 50 hours whether it's 1 lumen or 30 lumens.

It just doesn't sound right. Is this a by-product of using a potentiometer to control brightness. I expect better from Surefire, especially with such a special, limited edition light.

Phredd

(please don't hijack this thread with yet another debate about $500 for a pocket light)

aceo07

Enlightened
I seriously doubt it's 50 hours of 30lumens to 50%. Probably 1lumen for 50hours.

I'm not even sure if my HDS upgraded with seoul will do 30lumens for 5 hours. The HDS even uses a higher capacity battery.

stoven

Newly Enlightened
That Tech support guy has gotta be wrong. The 50 hrs is for running the light at 1 lumen. I built a CR2 powered light with a Nichia Rigel that lasted less than 4 hours running at 180 mA. The Cree puts out around 30 lumens at 120mA. I would guess that the battery life on high would probably be roughly 6 hours.

KROMATICS

Enlightened
We already know the specs in the catalog are wrong. It's using a Seoul P4 now at around 70 to 80 lumens.

Size15's

Flashaholic
Actually the specs in the 2007 catalog were based on the Titan proto-types show at SHOT Show 2006 which featured a Luxeon K2 LED.

The production Titans have the best possible Seoul Semiconductor P4 LEDs ever made.
There were seven (I believe) of these Titans ready for SHOT Show 2007 but they wer not ready in time for the 2007 catalogs.

Exact specs are still not known but the output will be in excess of 60 lumens (more than double the output of the proto-types). Even less is known about the runtimes the Titan is capable of.

Al

Phredd

Enlightened
So, the bottom line is Eric needs more training and I still have to wait for the new specs with the Seoul P4. This is going to be such a loooong wait...

Thanks,
Phredd

Valpo Hawkeye

Flashlight Enthusiast
Phredd said:
So, the bottom line is Eric needs more training and I still have to wait for the new specs with the Seoul P4. This is going to be such a loooong wait...

Thanks,
Phredd

Sounds like the only training he needs, in view of the lack of hard and cold facts, is when to keep his yapper shut.

Size15's

Flashaholic
I agree - it does appear you will find the waiting long.
SureFire have a difficult time keeping up to date with changes. I wouldn't fault Customer Service or Tech Support for them not knowing the exact specs of a model that doen't have exact specs yet, and hasn't even been released.
Whilst one could argue that nothing should have been said at all, "Eric" did no different to what I did and pass on the best available information he had.

Phredd

Enlightened
Size15's said:
"Eric" did no different to what I did and pass on the best available information he had.

...except for insisting that the 50 hour runtime is independent of the output.