Direct drive of Seoul P4 without resistor - advice needed

lexina

Enlightened
I am really happy today because I completed my first real Mag led mod using a cut-down Mag1C (driven by 1 18650), a Seoul P4 USWOI and one of Litemania's wonderful heatsinks and following 3rd shift's excellent step-by-step instructions. :)

I just have one question. As per 3rd shift's instructions, I was supposed to incorporate a 1 ohm resistor. However, this made the light extremely dim (I laterfigured out that the shop had given me a 1,000 ohm resistor!) and I ended up leaving out the resistor. Without the resistor, I measured the current at around 880 mA which is within the 1A tolerance of the Seoul. My question is - do I need to worry about my supply voltage (4.2V fresh off the charger) being higher than the Vf of the P4 (rated at 3.25-3.5V)? Will this damage the led?

Thanks for any advice.

Last edited:

MatajumotorS

Enlightened
You will not get higer than 1,2A ad fresh from charger Li-On and for short time. There is no need to worry about.

Lighthouse one

Flashlight Enthusiast
Translation: no problem....The battery only is at max power for a short time- then settles quickly to a bit under 4.0 volts. Almost any high power Led can handle 4.0 volts. Might only give your 25 years instead of 50...big deal!