l0p se seoul is not bright what did I wrong?

dardar

Newly Enlightened
Hi,

I ordered a SSC P4 from dealextreme http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.2026
The emitter I got was not the same on the picture but that is not problem.

I manage to remove the lux led and replaced it with the seoul one.
The problem is that in the l0p se, at maximum is not bright at all, It is even less bright than with the luxeon led. I try adjusting the focus by turning the bezel but when the ssc is at the closest to the reflecter (no gap between the reflector and the led) All I got is a squared pattern on the wall.
Is this l0p driver not delivering enough to the seoul or should I shorten the lenght of the reflector or what?

What can I do to improve that plz?
I haven't learn yet how to post picture but if you need I can try and post some beamshot.

Thank you
Dardar

Last edited:

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast
When I mod a Fenix AAA, I use a .015" thick copper slug under the emitter. I also remove about the same amount from the back of the reflector by dragging it back and forth across a file. Basically, I remove enough material so that the straight portion of the hole in the reflector is almost gone. This always restores focus to the way it was stock.

dardar

Newly Enlightened
When you unscrew the l0p head, you will see black and red wire where the current come from. In the center, there is non anodized part, where the thermal compound will go, there is no current from it. This part is aluminium or somothing like that. The rest is anodized and safe.

Christoph

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks Dardar I guess the same can not be said about the Ti version of the lop.
I just did my lop SE and it has a nice beam with no changes to anything.Three levels no strobing or sos.
C:grin2:

Ra

Flashlight Enthusiast
dardar said:
Hi,

I ordered a SSC P4 from dealextreme http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.2026
The emitter I got was not the same on the picture but that is not problem.

I manage to remove the lux led and replaced it with the seoul one.
The problem is that in the l0p se, at maximum is not bright at all, It is even less bright than with the luxeon led. I try adjusting the focus by turning the bezel but when the ssc is at the closest to the reflecter (no gap between the reflector and the led) All I got is a squared pattern on the wall.
Is this l0p driver not delivering enough to the seoul or should I shorten the lenght of the reflector or what?

What can I do to improve that plz?
I haven't learn yet how to post picture but if you need I can try and post some beamshot.

Thank you
Dardar

The emitter you got was not the same as on the picture??? But my dearest fellow torchlover..

The led on the picture is a SSC P-4 emitter !! If yours looks different, then that actually is the problem!
The SSC-emitters are easily distinguishable from other led's, so if yours looks different, they sent a different led !

If you can post beamshots, you also can you post a picture of the led you received, not ?? :lolsign:

I hope the solution is not far away..

Regards,

Ra.

Last edited:

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
Make sure it is electrically isolated as that can drain power or even kill the led or driver if the slug makes electrical contact with a negative path in the flashlight.

dardar

Newly Enlightened
Hi,

Congratz christoph for your mod. I was less lucky than you. I ruined my l0p-se
mecry.gif

The "bare" emitter I got from dx was on that picture. Could not find anything on the net. But I couldn't resist. Voila, should not have done that mod.

As you can see it as emitteur mounted on a square pcb without slug to fold or solder. That was strange, but wanted to go anyway. I cut the pcb and put it on my l0p and soldered it. No problem at all. Until I put the head back and tried to flashlight. No hot spill, only flood and the flood was not bright at all? hmm. From advice of EngrPaul, I decided to level up the emitteur and its pcb and shorten the reflector. Wanted to go faster did it with a dremel. Wanted to go even faster, did it with dremel on high. That was too hot for the alumium reflector and bulb appears on the surface. No problem, we can buy reflector from fenix.
Trying to resolder the emitteur, I broke the red and black that came out from the fenix anodized body part. Noway to resolder it, except taking the boost circuit and put new wire from there. Ok too much glue on that part, never succed and now the fenix is split into parts on my desk.
awman.gif

This picture was before I wanted to shorten the reflector.
seoulornot.jpg

Next time I will think twice before trying modding. (maybe a good reason to convince me to go to l0d ce?
grinser2.gif

Noway may wife will
xyxgun.gif
me. My rexlight will soon be mine...

Anyway, as someone see this kind of emitteur (suposed to be a bare emitter) and has worked with that before? Well that is a bit late but that may help other.

TMorita

Enlightened
You ordered an SSC P4, but apparently they sent you a Cree XRE.

Wrong emitter.

If you want to sell the pieces of your L0P, let me know.

Toshi

Ra

Flashlight Enthusiast
So, I was absolutely right !!!

Thats no SSC !!

That is a Cree XRE "Emitteur"

Now your problems make sense: The optical properties of the Cree are much different compared to the SSC-emitter.

So thats why the reflector doesn't give a nice beam: The angle of emittance of the Cree is much smaller compared to that of the Lambertian-domed Lux and the SSC!

Edit: To solve this problem, you need eighter to get a SSC-emitter, or mod the head with an especially for the Cree designed TIR-optical reflector !

Regards,

Ra.

Last edited:

dardar

Newly Enlightened
Lol that explain the square pattern on the wall.
So it is dealextreme who made I mistake. They owe me a l0p se. Never seen a seoul in my life, couldn't guess. I think the focusing problem came from the extra high added by the square pcb. Well, dunno.

me :mad: dealextreme

I will put that cree in my jet lighter, It will make a perfect edc, even if I don't smoke.
Tmorita, thank you for your proposition but I damaged badly the head when I tried to take out the circuit. It wouldn't be fair.

Anyway thanks all for your help.

:thanks:

Last edited:

thezman

Enlightened
I also order some SSC P4 UWO emitters from Deal Extreme and they sent me Cree emitters.
mad.gif

I won't bother with returning them and I won't shop Deal Extreme anymore.
thumbsdown.gif

2xTrinity

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmm. Now I'm somewhat worried. I've ordered Cree and Seoul Stars from them, both of which have worked out fine. However, in a more recent order I ordered some of the Seoul bare emitters... now I'm worried that I actually have Cree emitters on the way :ohgeez:

Ra

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would not be surprized !!

Maybe someone should contact them about this, otherwise this problem will not be solved before others order SSC's..and receive Cree's..

Regards,

Ra.

Minjin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ra said:
So thats why the reflector doesn't give a nice beam: The angle of emittance of the Cree is much smaller compared to that of the Lambertian-domed Lux and the SSC!

I'm not too up on Crees and Seouls so please bear with me.

The batwing (low dome) luxeon had the widest dispersion pattern (ignoring the side emitters). Then the lambertian (high dome) came around and it was much more narrow. So you're saying that the Cree is narrower yet? And I'm guessing the Seoul is closer to the lambertian? Is it less or more of an angle?

If Crees are so narrow, why aren't people using them by themselves (sans optic or reflector) just like a 5mm LED?

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wrong the batwing was not a wide pattern. HD (hence lambertain) was. The batwing actually has a "hotspot" by itself when compared to a lambertain. The side emitter threw light out to the side, but actually ends up a bigger hotspot than a HD in reflectors.

The batwing does throw some out to the side, but not at as wide of an angle as HD.

The cree is narrow yes, but the lens is so small that it's not powerful enough to focus the light to keep it tight enough at distance.