Edmonton

Lightmeup

Enlightened
I'm contemplating driving to the Edmonton area from Chicago this summer for a vacation. Maybe spend a couple weeks there with a friend. Is this drive worth the trouble? Is the fishing any good around there? Much to do? I'd like some input from locals or those who have been there, you can't believe the crap on Google.

LEDoutlet

Newly Enlightened
I'm not a fisherman myself but if you'll be in edmonton for a few weeks there is west edmonton mall for the shopping and if you like fishing i suggest you look into a town called lac la biche. the town is on lac la biche lake in lakeland county. Basically, there is more lakes (and fishing!) than you can shake a stick at. Camping is also big up here. Not really sure what you like to do though. I'm off to Ft. McMurray for some work but i'll be back tonight if you'd like some more info.

thanks,
Andron Frolov

LEDoutlet

Newly Enlightened
Must not be with the screamingly large amounts of replies. for clarification so i can help you out: what are you interested in doing? Hunting, fishing, shopping, partying?

thanks.
Andron Frolov

Lightmeup

Enlightened
Shopping: No
Fishing: Yes
Sightseeing: Yes, if there is something interesting to see
Hunting: No
Camping: Yes
Any other suggestions that I have overlooked?

Philip Sharman

Newly Enlightened
If you have time, the Rocky Mountains are about three hours away by car. Jasper National Park is a great place to hike.

Sarratt

Enlightened
Just don't forget your Passport.
You won't have any trouble comming in to Canada but you may returning.
You don't "need" a passport but it makes things smoother.

I'm not from the west but I have heard some stories of HUGE muskie in Alberta. but you have to be outfitted for those fish.

I confess tho even as a Canadian I can't see the appeal of visiting Sask / Alberta . It would be like holidaying in Kansas i think .

Calina

Enlightened
Huuuge muskies, yah!

And huuuuuuge black flies (gnats), some say as big as robins
icon12.gif
That is what these muskies feed on, don't they
evilgrin07.gif
?

Of course you cannot believe everything you read on the internet, even on this forum.

More seriously, if you get there early in early summer, you can try your luck at fly fishing for muskies. Quite a challenge!

LEDoutlet

Newly Enlightened
Depending on whether you are planning on staying close to edmonton or are willing to travel a bit (couple of hours by car) you can see things like Fort edmonton park which opens in may, West Edmonton mall is pretty much a requirement if you are in edmonton so count on at least one day there. Golfing, Live Theatre at the Citadel and the Aviation Museum are some other things within edmonton.

To the west about 3ish hrs is banff, jasper etc for your mountain views and such. Lakeland county has 150 lakes and oodles and oodles of wilderness for camping, hiking and fishing and is about 2ish hrs north of edmonton.

Since you're driving you can also check out drumheller to see the badlands, which are pretty interesting.

Alberta = Boreal Forest to the north, mountains to the west, plains to the east and dryland to the south.

Go. you'll have fun.