To be seen

Status
Not open for further replies.

JonSidneyB

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know that most Arc-AAA colors are being discontinued. I was wondering, amoung the Arc-AAA colors which is easier to be seen, not to see by. It seems that most of the topics cover the ability to see. What if the purpose is instead to be seen. Which three colors would you choose if that were the criteria? I think I am going to go ahead and put Arc-AAA's on Some Dog collars.

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
And for those fancy-dress occasions-- deck him out with the brass Arc!
smile.gif

--------

I would choose green. Red is often ignored/tuned out due to how common it is. Green would be unusual enough to attract more attention. On the other hand, maybe some really drunk #%!*&%@ would think he's got the green light and drive toward it...

Ron Schroeder

Enlightened
Blue seems to "stand out" the most at night, especially if it is toward the violet end of blue. It is fuzzy since the eye doesn't focus it as well but it sure is obvious.

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator
I always thought that light with the longest wavelength was the easiest to see at a distance. IR being on the extreme long side and UV on the extreme short side(ie. red can be seen futher than blue).

JonSidneyB

Flashlight Enthusiast
I want lights on dog collars to make the dogs more noticeable at night. I think the spot hitting the ground should leave a moving circle. I thought about the photon but battery cost and life is just not good enough. Lots of AAA's is a something I could do.

Darell

Flashaholic
Not really on your topic here, of course, but I found that a red Photon III flashing in the medium mode is fantastic for dog-collar use. I went through all kinds of ideas (including Arcs) before settling on the Photon. The Arc works just fine (doesn't blink, of course), but I found it bonked my dog on the noggin too many times.

I've got an active dog...

r2

Enlightened
I think the P3 is ideal for a dog collar. Like all the lithium batteries, you can get much better prices online (ebay is a good place to start). It doesn't need to be super bright for that use, so the P3's nasty habit of dimming quickly isn't as big a problem.

- Russ

JonSidneyB

Flashlight Enthusiast
In cornfields next to large stands of trees, high visability is important. Want to be able to spot dogs from vehicals.

Darell

Flashaholic
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JonSidneyB:
I thought about the photon but battery cost and life is just not good enough.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
The red Photon seems to last forever this way. It should consume much less battery in flashing mode. I've been using a PIII for this for about four months now. Twenty minute walks several times a week. No thought of a battery change yet.

You won't believe how visible this makes the pet. The swirling, jumping light is fantastic for visibility. It wiggles all over and privides a nice splash off the ground plus it bounces up to occassionally shine directly in an observer's eyes. You have to witness it to truly understand, but that's about the best I can describe it. In conjuction with a reflective collar, there isn't much better.

JonSidneyB

Flashlight Enthusiast
I will order some p3's and give it a try. I might go ahead and put and Arc-AAA and P3 on each collar and see how they work in combination. It definatly will not weight down my dogs. I am one of those people that think real dogs weigh between 90-200 pounds though I do have a 60 pounder among my zoo of animals.

JonSidneyB

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok, red P3 on Flashing mode plus an Arc-AAA. Which colors would work good for the Arc in conjunction with the red flasher.

Darell

Flashaholic
I think I'd hang a turquoise on there.

(as an aside, I like my dogs to be "carry on" size. No, not the little hairless things you see carried on board, but a size that lets you fit them in ONE normal car seat - or in the overhead compartment in the plane. I like to be able to pick the thing up too! 50 pounds works for me).

hawkins1965

Newly Enlightened
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JonSidneyB:
I want lights on dog collars to make the dogs more noticeable at night. I think the spot hitting the ground should leave a moving circle. I thought about the photon but battery cost and life is just not good enough. Lots of AAA's is a something I could do.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

For this purpose, I would suggest getting a bike night flashing signal that is sold at Walmart. It comes in red, green, white, or yellow. It has 5 to 6 modes including 4 flashing modes, selling for $3 to $4. It uses 1 AAA. Economicaly, you can't beat that. You can clip the light on the dog collar.

Status
Not open for further replies.