Will the new Cree based surefire L1 has more throw?

Chao

Enlightened
According to the report from FR, surefire kroma with 50 lum only generate 1600 lux throw, I just think will the 2007 new surefire L1 with 65 lum has more throw (compared with current L1) by its new TIR optics or just improve the beam pattern?

Size15's

Flashaholic
I would suggest that the new L1 compared to the current L1 will have an [slight] increase in throw - mostly because the output is significantly increased. However, I feel the improved light beam profile (light distribution) is far more important to most people.

Mad1

Enlightened
I still think the current L1 (1.1/22) is going to be better than the new (10/60) The 10 lumens will be to much.

The 1.1 lumens of the current one is perfect, it's just the beam needs sorting out.

BBL

Enlightened
Anyone thought of buying a cree L1 (once theyre out) and swap head with the old L1? That would give the low low-level combined with the efficiency and beam pattern of the new version.

flash_bang

Enlightened
I was under the impression that the circuitry was in the head of the light, so you would not get a difference in the levels. Any one care to correct/agree-with me?
have a good one!
Flash

ja10

Enlightened
The circuitry is in the body, so swapping heads wouldn't bring back the 1.1/22 output.

Size15's

Flashaholic
The L1's bezel does not feature the electronics like the KL1 bezel does.
The L1's electronics are in the body.

I don't know what would happen if you put a new (as yet unreleased) L1 bezel on a current L1 body. Perhaps it would do as BBL suggests. I guess the assumption is valid.

Al

Jeff H

Newly Enlightened
Mad1 said:
I still think the current L1 (1.1/22) is going to be better than the new (10/60) The 10 lumens will be to much.

The 1.1 lumens of the current one is perfect, it's just the beam needs sorting out.

I agree with that. But, "more is better" to most people and maybe Surefire has a different target market for the new L1. As a general purpose light, this light is the berries. Wish I'd had one when I was in the Army (Infantry). It would have been perfect for any of my own lighting needs. I had the unit's most covetted light at that time - an aluminum-tubed 2AA "pilot's flashlight" with a slide-over red lense. The output and "beam" was pathetic but, that's exactly what I needed. There was not enought output to draw unwated attention.

BBL

Enlightened
ja10 said:
The circuitry is in the body, so swapping heads wouldn't bring back the 1.1/22 output.
The circuit is in the body - and thats the part that defines the drive-level. Why wouldnt that work?