Outdoor security camera help needed

Pydpiper

Flashlight Enthusiast
I need to install a camera on the end of my garage, I also need to record what it is seeing.
I don't know where to start, computer store, security store.. How is this normally done?
Thanks!
David

raggie33

*the raggedier*
weird im in same boat.i used to use a logitech web camera the 4000 nice camera but had to keep pc on. so i guess im asking same question.right now a cheap wired infraredcamera is in the lead for me.

greenlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
that's one of the problems, you need a recording device, too.

Would you use a vcr you already have with the box of tapes in your closet?

Or would you prefer to record to digital? There are super cheap computers that would do this task, but you leave it on and it costs money..

What are you looking for? Predators? Thieves?

I hope I don't have to do this anytime soon.

WNG

Enlightened
Well, I'd still go the PC route.
Can't one set up a camera to only record when motion is detected? There must be system out there with either software to detect pattern changes, or bundled with motion sensors.
If the motion sensors have serial interface or usb, it can be used to 'wake' a PC from standby mode in order to save some electricity.

A laptop uses far less power, and would be able to handle this task too.

Last edited:

carbine15

Flashlight Enthusiast
WE had one that started recording 5 minutes before motion was detected by grabbing it from the buffer. I thought that was a cool idea.

Wutda

Newly Enlightened
I've got a b&w X-10 wired camera (I think it's called "Nightwatch") that I've been thinking of hooking up to a computer to capture video. The camera doesn't have infrared so it's useless if it's totally dark. There are cards that you can install on desktop PC's that will accept inputs from a camera. Most come with software that will let you customize recording schemes such as always on, scheduled, or motion activated.

I've been eyeing this on ebay for a while. This uses USB to connect to your computer instead of a card. Using this, I could move the recording operation from computer to computer or even onto my laptop to suit my needs. I haven't bought one yet...damn lights!! :)

TedTheLed

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got one of these --

http://www.defensedevices.com/wireless-video-capture-camera.html

I turn it on before i go out..it's motion activated (highly adjustable) and can be set to stop when the memory is full (up to several hours at 3 pics per second --adjustable -- or so iirc) or record over it..

so far all i caught was a deer coming right ip to the glass door trying to eat the cat's little indoor garden of alfalfa..

Last edited:

Pydpiper

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am trying to monitor the road and driveway, digital consistent recording is fine. I will buy a new PC if necessary.
I have some people driving wildly down my gravel road, and to stop them I need to catch them. In the mean time I could monitor my driveway too.

K A

Enlightened
If you are a Sam's Club member I know they carry a security camera kit (at least here locally). Either in B&W or Color with monitor and VCR. Last I was browsing through the electronics section they even had a kit that recorded the feeds onto a TIVO like device.