Fixed my X1 with a niteize dropin

RCatR

Enlightened
I went to target to exchange a maglite. apparently the new light was on clearance, so I got a $13 store credit. I put it towards an Inoxa X1; so the total cost was $7.50:)
Nice finish, good machining, nice tint etc.

Here's where things went downhill:
The LE came out simply by twisting and pulling(no tools), it was press fit in without any type of waterproof seal! After saying oh well and pressing it back in it only makes intermitten electrical contact; giving me a nice element of surprise as to when it will work and when it won't.
Though the Inova beats my dorcy 1aaa for workmaship and ergonomics; the inova loses to the dorcy in the reliablility category.

Maybe I'm missing something here; but a name-brand AA 1x5mm LED light sold for $20 should at least be waterproof and have a good electrical path!

Last edited:

Supernam

Enlightened
Re: The Inova X1 doesn't impress me(at all)

Wow, that's the first story of a flawed Inova. I'm pretty confident that you got a rare lemon.

chesterqw

Flashlight Enthusiast

the new third gen or second?

second generation SUCKS in my opinion.

the first gen was so nicely made....

RCatR

Enlightened

Second generation; with the reflector. I really like the formfactor, I might replace the LE with a Niteize dropin. Either way I'm going to rig up some method of retaining and sealing the front end.

GeorgePaul

Enlightened

RCatR said:
I really like the formfactor, I might replace the LE with a Niteize dropin.
Why don't you just replace the light with something better? There are better 1XAA lights in the same price range.

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast

I think I recall hearing about just that issue with some of the 2nd Ver. X1s with the reflector. Which definitely is too bad. The ones I have are all decent little lights, got lucky for once I'd guess. Thanks for your honest opinion... tough to do sometimes on CPF without a fireproof suit. :p

fishx65

Enlightened

I'd go exchange it for that new RR 1aa luxeon at Target. I think it's around 22 bucks.

Lee1959

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hold on to it until the new version comes out (should be very soon ) and trade it in to see if you like it better.

Fenris

Enlightened

ALOT of people would love to have purchased an X1 that just fell apart in their hands.

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast

Yeah, if you have a look at the threads asking how to get an X1 apart, you should realize that you got the extremely rare X1 that was not very solidly pressed together.

There were a few reports of the lenses 'falling out' which never happened to me, but I guess it is possible. Going from the optic first gen to the reflector second gen X1, the optic would be impossible to fall out as it was retained by the bezel. The lens of the reflectored X1 is simply glued in but then, with many glues, the glass would break long before the glue gave way.

I absolutely love the form factor of the X1, and they are really well machined and finished and they have never let me down, but I don't think they are the best value in a small, relatively dim light.

Illum

Flashaholic

im still surprised that only genII's are not pressfit [I.E. the SS bezel serves no real purpose]

all the other Inovas [excluding the microlights, radiant...and maybe bolt] has their lenses capped behind the bezel
when I recieved mine it wasnt getting a solid electrical contact on constant on, sometimes flicker slightly and other times wont come on at all

what happened was whoever lubed it in shop I guess put too much, and since they are stored in stores on pegs bezel up, the lube accumulated in the rear electrical contact inside the TC....you'll have to get a cotten swab and wipe that clean...remember to check on the electrical contacts on the body too [the "white region" aside from anodizing]

p97z

Newly Enlightened

I've tried to pull mine apart but have had no luck. I was thinking of upgrading but gave up and enjoy it for what it is. It's my favorite light for waling around the house when the family is a sleep.

I would upgrade it if mine came out... or just return it and enjoy another one. :) Great light in my opinion.

jumpstat

Flashlight Enthusiast

I've got on of those X1 with reflectors, not much output but looooong runtime and very floody. Since I prefer my other lites, I gave it to dad. He does appreciate such KISS gadgets......I like inovas finishing, very quaint...