Anyone try replacing cree with seoul in a DX “p60” drop in?

Carabidae

Newly Enlightened
After being amazed by my TLE-6EX in a magC, I wondered about the "p60" like drop in that DX sells that can be used in surefires (http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.1447) and if the resident 3W Cree could be swapped with a seoul. Although the existing cree is impressive, as seen in waynejitsu's link (https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/156748, I wonder if anyone has swapped the cree emitter and what kind of seoul (bin, etc) could be used to simply swap the emitter, if possible. I know gene43 was working on a surefire drop in that sounded pretty promising, but I wonder if anyone's attempted it with DX drop in with good results. The thought of a surefire (Especially an e2e) with that kind of firepower (and runtime) has had me up thinkin at night.

Last edited:

Norm

Retired Administrator
I had a drop in die on me and discovered during the autopsy just the LED was dead, not having much to do I thought I try a lux III the only thing I had on hand,unscew the reflector, remove the Cree, lever out with a small screwdriver (no heat sink compound used in the one I had) I AAed the Lux directly to the bare heat sink,resoldered leads, put the reflector back on to centre the LED, perfect focus, nice tint, :) :).
So I'm sure a P4 would work well.
Norm

Carabidae

Newly Enlightened
Looking at the module, it looks like it uses a cree on a mini board. I don't know if another module would be possible or if the solder points match up. Maybe someone will put a seoul on a mini board soon.

Norm

Retired Administrator
Carabidae said:
Looking at the module, it looks like it uses a cree on a mini board. I don't know if another module would be possible or if the solder points match up. Maybe someone will put a seoul on a mini board soon.

It is possible to remove the original cree from the mini star, grip the corner of the board in a small vice and heat the back of the star with a blow torch while pushing the cree with with a screwdriver the LED will drop off the board as soon as the solder melts. I am fairly sure you can mount the P4 directly to the heat sink without using the board, adjust the beam by tightening the reflector.
Norm