IMS17 in minimag?

gunga

Flashaholic
Hi all.

I purchased an SMJ upgrade from Sandwich shoppe with the included reflector etc.

http://theledguy.chainreactionweb.com/product_info.phpcPath=48_56_83&products_id=940

Somehow I got some alcohol on the reflector that clouded the surface. All the no-touch methods were not able to clean the cloud away, so I did the usual and got the expected result: microfibre cloth with lens cleaner = scratched up reflector.

:ohgeez:

I would like to purchase just the replacement reflector, but I'm unsure it's available (and I lost my stock mag reflector).

I do happen to have a spare IMS17 reflector. Just wondering if this is a good fit in the minimag? I do realize it's a bit narrow and I need to put some o-rings in and cut off the legs.

Is it just a dropin with the 5mm led? Also, how's the beam pattern since it's smaller than the stock reflector and made for luxeons? Is this a good idea or should I try to locate a stock or replacement reflector? I'd rather not spend too much time/money on the this so buying an IMS20 and trying to shave it down is no fun for me.

I already have other nicer lights, this is just a decent long runtime spare. The messed up reflector is not TOO bad, but it's not too pretty...

:drool:

CLHC

Flashaholic
It should be a direct replacement drop-in with the "fins" lopped off. I'm using the IMS20MM in mine with a bored out head.

Enjoy!

gunga

Flashaholic
How's the beam pattern with the 17mm? ANy worse due to the smaller size?

Not too concerned with throw since the drop-in is not that bright, but a little would be nice!

CLHC

Flashaholic
The beam pattern on mine is nice and smooth, kind of "SureFire" like beam characteristic. I fiddled with mine until I found that "sweet" hotspot.

I'm thinking the McRs that The Sandwich Shoppe also sells, may be better than the plastic ones since its metal (aluminum?). I have yet to purchase one. That one produces a very nice overall beam pattern as is evident on my McLux.PD.

gunga

Flashaholic
Thanks CHC!

I put an o-ring on thr reflector and it was a direct drop in. I didn't even have to cut the legs! Must be due to the geometry of the SS SMJ drop-in.

I'm happy it works, so if I need to replace it again for some reason, it's easy to find an IMS17.

:goodjob: