Flashlights for places where CR123 & 18650 are not available

ausbump

Newly Enlightened
Having some major trouble selecting a good flashlight given the above requirement. Wondering if any of the major manufacturers have invested in AA powered LED Lights.

Here in Australia i have to say the only time i have seen CR123 batteries was at a camera store (once), and they were VERY expensive. Surefire's are barely available here (order over the internet), and becuase there are no batteries to feed them, it's not really an option.

I currently have a cheapo ultrafire 3W torch 2AA (although i find it interesting that my photon freedom micro is brighter..), so i really don't want any more 'quality china goods' products!

Do manufacturers still invest in traditional AA powered lights? I'm looking for something with a wide throw and bright, but it seems i can only get that if i use unavailable lithium batteries.

alberto

Enlightened
Take a look at the Fenix AA-powered L1T or L2T. The same head works with single AA or 2xAA, just different body. You could also get a CR123 body and be ready with a smaller form factor when you find CR123s available. It makes a great little modular system that works with the batteries you have available.

zulu45

Enlightened
I think it depends on numerous factors. I'm guessing that you want commonly available batteries, given the problem finding CR123 cells, although Surefire also sells batteries online for a very nice price.

I'd suggest either a 1AA or a 2AA light. As for the brightness required, and price range, as well as the physical size of the light, that's up to you.

For a 2AA one, you can't go wrong with a Fenix, or one of the new MagLED 2AA flashlights (if you wish to use NiMH batteries, it's runtime plot isn't so hot on regular alkalines).

I've switched to carrying a Nuwai X-1, which outperforms the Fenix L1P, in both price and performance. It's built well, and has a nice click switch on it.

ausbump

Newly Enlightened
I quite like the Fenix L-2
It looks pretty bright and customisable. Getting one is not easy (start at $70 + postage :p) but i'll consider it.

Is it actually likely to be brighter than the photon micro?

Thanks for the replies

Bonez

Newly Enlightened
I for one would think that the ultrafire would have to be brighter than the photon freedom. I think that you got a bad ultrafire, the 3w, even if severely underdriven due to high internal resistance would still be brighter, so it must have been that you got a bad light. I too would recommend the L2 fenix series, especially the L2Dce edition, with the cree able to provide good runtime on low (days) and an amazing high mode........

Although the Austrailian members will have to chime in on where the best place to get any of the fenix line there...............

ausbump

Newly Enlightened
Bonez said:
Snip
Although the Austrailian members will have to chime in on where the best place to get any of the fenix line there...............
I hope so!
This is the cheapest australian dealer so far
http://www.torchworld.com.au/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=309
$58ish + postage. Not too bad i guess, but I wish we had the variety that you USA people have

Is the fenix easy to run on 1aa as well? I.e. if i were to buy the 2T, and put in a battery spacer and one AA would it still run?

Edit:http://www.torchworld.com.au/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=370
That is indeed a nice light. Seems like the difference between a keychain and a photon with the nice electronic control

Last edited:

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Why not the new Fenix L1/2D-CE(review), brighter, and Fenixstore has battery tubes for sale so you can buy the Fenix L1D-CE and get the L2D-CE body tube for more output or runtime, or the P2D-CE's body tube(when it comes out) for CR123 use. L1D-CE body tube, L2D-CE body tube
L1/2T review
The Fenix L1T and L2T share the same head so one AA will also work. Fenix store also sells the L1/L2T battery tube (won't fit the newer LxD series)

There is also a CPF coupon for 8% off at Fenix-Store, and shipping is included in the price, but might take a while since it's from the US to Australia.

There are also many other brands that sell single AA lights, but all of them are single mode. The exceptions that I know of are Jetbeam and Rexlight.http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?postid=1974397#poststop

Last edited:

Northernflame

Newly Enlightened
Hi.

Regretably i can realate to the lack of and extreme cost of cr123's and or 14/18650's.

I always get 2 or 3 rechargables of the above mentioned kind and keep an extra one handy.

As for the 2aa, The Fenix L2P has one of the longest running times for it's max output (4 hours), and 30+ hours in low mode.

As for the other Fenix such as the l2t, l3t, great flashlights. However they require a rather annoying constant half clicking and twisting to get the mode you wish.

The L2P v2.0 has two modes that are selectable by simply twisting the head .

The streamlight Jr LUX v2.0. A nice AA light with a very smooth beam. Not the longest battery life though. However apaprently no warenty support outside the US.

There are several single AA FL's that are remarkably good. 1.25-1.5 watts versions last about 3 hours on 1 AA, 3watt versions last about an hour.

You could get a mini-maglite LED. The battery life is not so good you get to 50% at about 3 hours of use.

Regretably there are fewer and fewer AA (especialy 2 AA) flashlights these days.

Last edited:

ausbump

Newly Enlightened
You're certainly right about availability. I've gone and purchased the L2D CE now. Hope it's a good light :)
Will try to compose some beam shots between my ultrafire 3w and this one.

ausbump

Newly Enlightened
sims2k said:
I agree completely on this one. I use the L2DCE as my EDC and I find that the low beam is the one I use everyday. Excellent 2AA light IMO.

Good to hear. Fast turnaround from the store as well - posted about 2 hours after buying it

Yapo

Enlightened
I'm in australia as well and i also started off using AA batteries in a Fenix L1P because as you've discovered CR123 cost too much here...But I solved that problem by getting a charger and rechargable lithium batteries. But torches seem to be getting better now and AA torches like Fenix L2P CE that you've purchased is about the same brightness as ones that run on CR123s. And also I purchased a P1D CE from fenix-store and it only took about a week to get to me. enjoy your new flashlight!:)

gunga

Flashaholic
Lumapower M3 is also a good choice in the modern cree lights with good support and delivery all over the world. Jetbeams (C-le, Mk2x) are hit n miss, if you get a good one, they're great, if you get a lemon, you are SOL...

Overall, for AA use, I think the Fenix has the best set of features and runtimes/throw.

Gointothelight

Newly Enlightened
I'll 2nd the Lumapower M3, I have 3 in different configurations and now with the new turbo-head, it is even more flexible and you can use either a single AA or double AA... nothing more to buy (exept the turbo-head) because it comes with a kit that includes all the body options.

Nyctophiliac

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great choice with the L2D-CE!!!!

You will soooo not be disappointed. And you can always get the 1AA and soon to be released 1CR123A tubes for an all round fantastic EDC.

I hope you're as pleased with yours as I was with mine.

Be lucky...