Question regarding Runtime Graphs

tyler582

Newly Enlightened
I dont know if anyone caught my thread about a camping flashlight a few hours ago, but in doing my research I came up with this question. If I could direct you to this page at flashlightreviews.com:

http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/maglite_mag-led.htm

Okay, scroll down to the 2nd Runtime Graph on the page, the one that shows the first 2 hours close up for the 3D-Cell Mag-LED (which I just bought today, conicidentally). My question is, if I turn off the flashlight and give the components a few minutes to cool down, will the light output go back up and get closer to 100% when I turn it back on again? My understanding is that the output falls so quickly due to a lack of thermal regulation in the flashlight. So I would assume that if you turn it off, the components that get too hot cool down and the light output rises back up. Is this correct?

As a side question, I am also wondering if, since I actually bought the light that had the 3W LED installed in the Maglite factory (ie. I didnt not buy the drop-in kit) do you think they improved the thermal regulation aspects of the light? Or would I expect the same curve as is shown in that review?

Thanks, I enjoy this forum,
-Tyler

EDIT: I sorta answered my side-question on my own by searching around. This review:
http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=119665
Says that the 2 Cell version is no better than the mod. I guess if anyone can disprove this I would still be happy to hear it!

Last edited:

elgarak

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, I assume you are correct. If the output is dropped by the electronics to keep the LED cooler, the light will return to higher output after cool down.

As for the side question, as far as I know, there is no difference, at all, between stock Mag D-cell LEDs and incan Mags fitted with the Mag LED module. They have the same crappy thermal path away from the LED that forced Mag to include the thermal regulation circuit.

tyler582

Newly Enlightened
Ya you are right. I was reading that thread thru a bit more and even if they shoot cold spray or something at it, the light intensity rises back up.

Is there any good mods to combat this yet?

-Tyler

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't think any thermal transfer improvements have been made to the light since its introduction. The only good thing is that the LED module itself is a bid wider than many LED drop-ins so there is slightly more contact with the sleeve.

Yes, if you turn the light on, it will register a certain brightness, then it will drop... then if you let it cool off and turn it back on, it will be nearly as bright as the initial brightness. Other than LED longevity, there is no serious issue with this setup. Many folks only use a light for a couple minutes at a time... this way, you get as much light as possible for those two minutes. And if you are really needing to use it for, say, an hour at a stretch, more than likely the reduced amount of light will still be sufficient.

On the other hand, it the light was just regulated to always put out the amount of brightness as is present after 'the drop', then the LED would last longer and the batteries would last minimally longer as well.

I guess I just prefer regulated moderation to 'as bright as possible'.