How many flashlights for 1 bedroom apartment?

five-0

Newly Enlightened
I have a question. Thanks again for all the info on the Fenix E0 light I purchased. So far feels solid. Great site for info.

There are blackouts every once and a while (usually summer) and I was wondering how many lights should I have and in what room. One bedroom, one bathroom, one small living room.

I was thinking.

-2 long lasting LED headlamps. (for me and guest)
-My EDC Fenix E0 (which will always be on me) to locate larger light.
-A LED water resistant light, bright and at least 3 hours life. C or D size batteries okay. Carry major task light. May go outdoors/down halllways.
-A led, pretty bright, waterproof light for use in the bathroom with candle mode, stand on tail I guess.

-Maybe some candle mode flashlights I can stick in the living room and bedroom. 2 a piece. Just to always be illuminated (while awake, in that area). At least decent light but long lasting life. Any size.

How does that sound?

SCblur

Enlightened
five-0 said:
-My EDC Fenix E0 (which will always be on me) to locate larger light.
This made me laugh. I was envisioning it to the extreme.

A glowstick used to locate your coin cell light. The coin light used to locate your penlight. The penlight to locate your minimag. The minimag to locate your EDC. EDC to locate your incan. Incan to locate your ROP. ROP to locate your HID. HID to locate your military, vehicle-mounted search and rescue spotlight. Then, you could ceiling-bounce your spotlight to read with. Just be sure to use sunglasses.

LOL, okay, enough joking. I'm serious now.

Here's what I use in my own one-bedroom apt:

1. PT aurora headlamp for reading, hands-on tasks.
2. HDS EDC for general use, one of my favorites. Can tailstand for candle mode in blackouts.
3. SF U2 for serious output and super long runtime in one package. It can run for 50+ hrs (on an 18650) on low if needed for extended periods of time.

Fenix makes some good light for these tasks. When anticipating a blackout, the prime consideration is rumtime. You need something that can last a while, wether that means it has low output, or it can be dimmed to conserve battery. If you have lots of low output lights available, I would consider having at least one bright light, maybe an incan, for when you need it. Its nice to have choices.

Lastly, welcome to CPF!

Last edited:

ernsanada

Flashlight Enthusiast
Get as many as you can!

Once you start you won't stop!

I have a 2 bedroom apartment.

I have around 150 lights!

Help me!

1wrx7

Enlightened
You're list looks good for a one bedroom apt. Look into a LED lantern as well. I have one with 20 cheap LED's that lights up a room pretty well. It's also good on the battery consumption, great for power outages. Don't be surpirsed when you have 2-3 times that many lights. Maybe there should be a support group for this addiction. Enjoy.

Cydonia

Enlightened
There is a simple formula for determining the number of lights you need.
It's all to do with the square footage of your accommodation…
Simply put, divide the total footage number by 10 and you have the result.
So, for a smallish 700sq ft single bedroom… oh, 70 lights ought to do it.
ernsanada has it right… he is on track following the formula I see:thumbsup:

George M

Newly Enlightened
Cydonia said:
Ooh, I like this. So for my 1,200 sq. ft. house I'll need around 120 lights. That gives me something to aspire to! And if I ever hit 120, I'll need about 40 more for the garage...

How do we calculate the number needed for outdoor use? :)

defusion

Enlightened
or 1 for every drawer (variation of lights), 2 per tabletop (1 HID and a custom one-of-a-kind modded maglite), and 1 per pants pocket (high intensity tacticool in your weak side (for use with the .45/9mm on your strong side), multi-mode long running utility light in strong side pockets.)

fire-stick

Enlightened
Just my $.02.. I'd get a light with some sort of locator, like a strip of tritium on the side or one that has a locator beacon so you'd be able to find it if/when the lights went out.

Also, somewhere I think I seen a desklamp that ran of of a phoneline. It just had a few led's but it'd still run when the juice went out.

Also what about some type of emergency lighting? You wouldn't be able to do to much wiring/home improvement seeing that it's an apartment, but I have seen some that just plug into an outlet and come on as soon as the power goes out.

""A LED water resistant light, bright and at least 3 hours life. C or D size batteries okay. Carry major task light. May go outdoors/down halllways.""

Mag-LED is a pretty good fit for that.

http://flashlightreviews.com/reviews/maglite_mag-led.htm

Illum

Flashaholic
you need 1 flashlight for every square foot of space:grin2:
only kidding, a reasonable number would be 3,

one for the n_n moment to the bathroom at night when turning on the ceiling light will cause you to be temperarily blinded, usually single or cluster LED, or a luxeon/cree with a low mode
one for the typical uses
one for the high brightness or "club-able" light...say a mag 4D or 6D and can be used as a weapon or something with "peak lumens" for those "tactical" situations.

[b said:
five-0][/b] -My EDC Fenix E0 (which will always be on me) to locate larger light.

makes perfect sense if you have an armory of fire..erm, lumen power:grin2:
but I prefer to have lights within a reachable distance or something like tritium tubes or GITD o-rings:whistle:

mdocod

Flashaholic
After having a few long blackouts in blizzard conditions this winter, I'm going to make a point to either build, or buy, a cree/Seoul based light that operates on 2-3 D cells and operates ~1W. Regulated for ~30 hours of output. I suppose I could mod a mag to do this. We had plenty of light, and plenty of runtime, But I felt like something like that would have given me more comfort, had the blackout lasted a few days.

SL Argo HP headlamp runs 20+ hours on low on a single 17670 or 2CR123s, (actually seems to run more like 30 hours on a 17670), modded with a Seoul, low would be about 30+ lumens.

BSCOTT1504

Enlightened
You need one light for each room. Then you have a back-up light for each of your main lights. Then a back-up for each of those, etc., etc., etc.!! You get the idea. :help:

five-0

Newly Enlightened
GREAT RESPONSES.

Okay so far this is what I have gathered:

-Fenix E0 (This will be my EDC light, my lifeline. Last long, tough decent brightness).
-A C or D cell water resistant flashlight. Tough. Last long with good brightness (brightest light I will have).
-Another C or D flashlight. Bright, decent life, good build, water resistance would be nice (maybe just same one as above.) (Backup).
-2 headlamps. Long lasting, maybe 3 LEDS each.

May get:

-4 plug in lights that automatically come on when the power is out. (bedroom, living room, bathroom, hall between). Just enough light to navigate.
-Some sort of LED lantern I can put on a table.

Now just to find the lights themselves. I figure I will buy these lights over time.

Last edited:

TORCH_BOY

Flashlight Enthusiast
Minimum of 10 lights per main room, plus extras for the bathroom, kitchen, laundry, clothes closet, and not to mention out door lights

louie

Flashlight Enthusiast
Consider having some little fluorescent lanterns, too. Good efficiency, mild room filling light.

Illum

Flashaholic
Cydonia said:

so what about having 2000 sq foot homen 600 sq ft of separate garage and an additional 70 sq feet worth of machine shop/tool shed?
:wtf:
oh dear...I need more lights...:ohgeez:
23 lights not going to be enough, just on the safety side theres only one smoke alarm and one fire extinguisher.

any idea where I can find a class D extinguisher for my stack of spare primaries?