Another quick passport question

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tomorrow, I will submit my application for a passport. There is an outside chance I will be traveling abroad in July. Do I need to use any expedited service to ensure I get my passport before then or do I still have enough time under normal channels?

AnimalHousePA

Enlightened
You should have plenty of time to apply and then get it back before you will be leaving...I think mine took a few weeks...I haven't used it yet but I wanted to have it just in case. I go to Canada every once in awhile and from what I hear, you now need your passport to cross over.

louie

Flashlight Enthusiast
I submitted mine Feb 22 and I'm still waiting. I'm in their computer at least. Without expedited service, I was told to expect at least the full 10 weeks, possibly more. Horror stories abound in the media. YMMV.

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow, $60 on top of the already $97 fee. Why does it have to cost $97 to begin with? Providing you apply with the right credentials, what in the process makes it so expensive? Also before the US government decided to require everybody traveling outside the US, even to Canada to obtain a passport, did it take this long to get a passport? I've been reading a bit more on it and it fries my butt a bit that this service is so expensive (what a nice light $157 will buy) and apparently how ill pre-prepared the government was when it made this blanket passport requirement.

nethiker

Enlightened
I just applied for a passport for my 10 month old son. We were told 8-12 weeks. We heard the stories about delays and figured it wasn't worth the stress. We expidited it and got it last week. It took two weeks and we are glad to have everything in order for our trip.

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I sucked it up and paid the extra $60. Guy at post office said if not then due date would be July 27th and it might very well take that long.

ChopperCFI

Newly Enlightened
Pay the expedite fee!!!

I sent standard delivery applications for my two kids on Feb 16 (3 months ago) and still have not received the passports. Worse, only one of them shows a status in the system of processing. The other says no record found.

When I try to call the help line it says please hold for the next available agent and immediately says goodbye and cuts me off. I tried the email approach and received a reply in 3 days that basically says the passport office has been made aware of my urgent need. I thought I was emailing the passport office. Apparently not.

I still have no idea if the one application with no record found exists in their system.

louie

Flashlight Enthusiast
FYI, I just received my pp, applied for on Feb 22 with regular service. You do the math!

jellyfish414

Newly Enlightened
My little brother just got married... they wanted to go to Europe for honeymoon. Trip was set for this Saturday, they orderd passports back in March, were told by postal worker expedited service not needed.

Bottom line: get the expedited service.