Hands Free dive Light?

webley445

Flashlight Enthusiast
Do they make such a light?
I have a friend that just started a new job scraping hulls. Sizes range from small sailboats to really huge yatchs that I could only ever dream of being able to afford.
anyways, I know that at times it gets very dim under there while he is scuba diving and working, so I was wondering if any company makes a work light for divers that are hands free?
It is neccesssary as he needs use of both hands scraping and performing required maintenance.

FoxFury

Newly Enlightened
FoxFury Signature Scuba Headlamp (MSRP $169.99)
http://foxfury.com/products/signature_series/scuba/index.htm

FYI, blue and green light is used to minimize the disturbance to marine life and to reduce backscatter from silt.

Here's an article on it from Scuba Herald--please note the picture on the right side is incorrect.
http://www.scubaherald.com/?c=119&a=1131

It looks like Princeton Tec also makes a hands-free dive light as well. http://www.joediveramerica.com/page/JDA/PROD/lights/HL-40H

Hope that helps.

Brlux

Enlightened
I use the UK mini Q40. mine is the older incan version andi it came with a mask strap. I recently got it off ebay for $22. It is nice to have but I still usually prefer to have a larger hand held with me in adition to the little mask light.

blahblahblah

Enlightened
OMS makes a headlamp/goodman light. It's priced good at $63.
http://www.leisurepro.com/Prod/OMSL193.html

I used it for a week of diving in Cozumel (a few weeks ago). Most of the time (during day) it was just attached to my BCD's shoulder strap as a backup. During night, it was on most of the time, as I used a Barbolight U-15 or Polarion Helios to light more distant objects.

The light is comparable to most 3w driven Luxeons. For modders, it is also a great lights, as the star is easily accessible. I'm sure a Seoul would drop right in w/ a little work.

The light comes with both a goodman strap (for around the back of the hand) and a headband strap.

blahblahblah

Enlightened
blahblahblah, what does that OMS headlamp use for batteries?

2x CR123a primaries is standard.

I assume 2x 3.0v Li-ion rechargables would work, but I don't know about 2x 3.7v. I have a good size stash of Surefire CR123a batteries, so primary batteries work fine for me.

A 17670 might fit in there (I don't have any). An 18650 was too large of a diameter.

blahblahblah

Enlightened
Here's a front view of the OMS using the goodman style strap, while attached to my BCD's right shoulder strap. It's out of the way and in a convenient location at the same time. If you look closely at the pic, you can see the backside of a pin-mount-mini-retractor just above the letter "t" on my pocket. I attach the Barbolight U-15 to the mini-retractor inside the pocket (Thanks again ACMarina!)

Here's a side view, showing the buckle in the rear. The knob shown is the twisty on/off switch as well as the cap to the batteries.

When using another retractor for the Polarion, I clip the retractor to the D-ring. I then strap the OMS light over the body of the retractor or just above it.

fasuto

Enlightened
barbolight also have a goodman handle for their U-15:

5.jpg

DM51

Flashaholic
A Goodman handle is one possible solution, but if he's down there scraping barnacles off a boat's hull, he should be wearing protective headgear. A light strapped on to that with a headband would probably be a cheaper solution and also a better one, as it wouldn't get jolted about by hand movements or get in the way when he's working hard.