High pressure waterproof switch?

Laser_Ben

Newly Enlightened
Hello, I am making a light for diving, I have almost all of it figured out except how to waterproof a switch, I need to have it stand up to at least 130 feet of water pressure and be a constant on/off one(not push button). Do any of you know how to do this effectively?

Just to give you an Idea of what it will be, I will have a 10.4AH Li Ion pack in a secondary housing with the switch. In the light head there will be a 4 die Luxeon Prototype putting out ~16W of optical power.:twothumbs(don't ask me for one). These will be linked together with a cord.

IndecisiveFlashaholic

Newly Enlightened
Having limited knowledge, I would sugggest a twistie-type switch. They would most likely keep out water better than a switch or clickie.

Laser_Ben

Newly Enlightened
Okay, I've found the switch, how would you recommend getting a wire into a battery pack and keeping it waterproof?

Laser_Ben

Newly Enlightened
Okay, I really don't want a short on a high power LiIon pack at 100 feet under water.

Illum

Flashaholic
I don't see another way, unless you utilize a conducting strip of metal instead, thats alot easier to waterproof than wires

sorry, but thats as far as my thoughts can go :(

Last edited:

ringzero

Flashlight Enthusiast
Okay, I've found the switch, how would you recommend getting a wire into a battery pack and keeping it waterproof?

Laser_Ben try using the CPF search function with "Bike Lights" and "waterproof" and various other permutations.

There was a thread on this very topic sometime in the past several months. That thread includes links to suppliers of waterproof enclosures, cabling, switches, etc. None of the hardware was that expensive.

I was thinking of ordering some of this stuff but didn't get around to it, and now I can't find the bookmarks in my browser.

They had several reasonably priced cables with waterproof, pressure-rated fittings for the ends to mount through holes you have bored into the waterproof enclosures.

Neat stuff, but I can't remember the names of the vendors.

RustyKnee

Enlightened
what about using a reed switch inside triggered by a magnet outside. you would need to use a relay though as I don't think a reed switch is designed to take much current. It would be totally sealled that way.

not sure if the magnetic field will pass through non ferrous metal though?

Stu

cy

Flashaholic
barbolight U-09 has such a switch... you may want to look at how Javier has done it.

Flashlight Enthusiast
Your best bet is probably a slide type switch or something of that effect, they won't be turned on or off because of pressure but they can get knocked on. A twisty idea sound like a good one but you would need probably 4 seperate O rings and lots of grease.

RustyKnee

Enlightened
i have ordered some reed switches out of curiosity after i suggested them previosuly. i will see if they trigger when metal/aluminium is between the switch and magnet.

if it works, the switch wouldn't need any orings. a mechanism would need to be dvised though to position tha magnet suitably.

Stu

Empyfree

Enlightened
I like the reed switch Idea, as for locating the magnet, how about a rotating ring with the magnet held captive in it, the ring could run round in a groove in the barrel of the torch, not allowed to slide up or down, just round.

Laser_Ben

Newly Enlightened
i have ordered some reed switches out of curiosity after i suggested them previosuly. i will see if they trigger when metal/aluminium is between the switch and magnet.

if it works, the switch wouldn't need any orings. a mechanism would need to be dvised though to position tha magnet suitably.

Stu

I'll look forward to the results of your test! I expect the battery to be inside a Plastic enclosure.