Collimator rattle in the LS2?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GJW

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is mine the only one?
It's not battery rattle because the head alone rattles with no battery pack attached.
The sound is very "plastic-on-plastic".

JackBlades

Enlightened
So the "cosmetics issue" was addressed with a basic "take it or leave it" tone.

It'll be interesting to see how this one pans out.

I really want one of these lights, but for my $168.00, splotchy anodize and rattling optics/circuitry are TOTALLY unacceptable.
frown.gif

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast
The rattling optics is a functional issue. Because it may affect the waterproofness of the light. The lens needs to put a certain pressure on the forward o-ring for a good seal. Even if it was just a cosmetic issue, we would still exchange it.

During the first part of December, we noticed a sudden increase in the number of lights with a loose lens. We developed fixes and means to spot it on the line. The frequency of loose lenses has dropped down into the noise level again. But there still are some units out there and we want to take care of them please.

Send us a note!

Peter Gransee

lumn8

Newly Enlightened
Does optic/circuit rattling somehow affect the reliability of the light in the long run?

Because I dont know if its worth to send it in,
due to addition shipping costs, witch adds to the bottom line.

krept

Newly Enlightened
So the "cosmetics issue" was addressed with a basic "take it or leave it" tone.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I missed that part, could you post it or PM me with that? I've always had the impression that ARC will exchange a light if you are bent up about it... e.g.
Even if it was just a cosmetic issue, we would still exchange it.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">.

And I'm not saying this to pick on you Jack, but I've been reading posts by some ARC customers (or even potential customers)here that seem like they are VERY HARD to please. Yet ARC makes them happy and sometimes bends over backwards to the point of almost breaking in half in doing so. Never did I get the impression that ARC is stingy on the returns or even holds contempt for people that complain (like another manufacturer that will remain nameless).

JackBlades

Enlightened
No offense taken, Krept.
I just happen to fall on the side that prefers a light that looks ggod as well as performs.
Everything I have read implies that Peter absolutely wants his customers to be fully satisfied.
I will have one of these soon enough!
grin.gif

krept

Newly Enlightened
Gotcha. And FWIW, I agree with both camps. On one end, if you are paying a lot of money (relative here, but rest assured it's a LOT LOT for me) for a light and the light is the flagship of the line, I'm going expect it to be a premium in all senses of the word.

Now on the other hand, for a piece of gear that is made to be a user, spartan looks are frequently the tradeoff. Especially with a rapidly growing company... with the teething pains associated with R&D there is only so much one can focus on.

Bottom line is, not much in the world of consumerism is worse than sitting with a pricey piece of gear in your hand and being bummed out because it doesn't live up to your expectations.

Companies like Strider, ARC, etc. not only produce high quality products, but also make sure that their customers are truly satisfied with their purchase really kick ***.

JackBlades

Enlightened
Originally posted by krept:
I missed that part, could you post it or PM me with that? I've always had the impression that ARC will exchange a light if you are bent up about it... e.g.
Sure, here it is in part:
Originally posted by Gransee:
I think sometimes people get the wrong idea of us and our products. We don't make artsy collector flashlights, we make tools. If you are looking for a nice looking flashlight, let me save you some time: Arc may not be what you are looking for.
Sometimes people just don't like the design choices we made to pursue utility.
If our light is the most reliable flashlight you can carry but it looks like it was dropped down a dusty coal chute, I am very happy.
Spending too much time talking about cosmetics takes me from what I really like to work on.
Peter Gransee
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">You can see it in the first post of the "Cosmetics" thread in this forum.
There's no doubt that I could exchange it if I was dissatisfied, but it should be damn close to perfect out-of-box (bag?) if it's a "premium" $160 pocket light, IMHO.

Status
Not open for further replies.