Can you PC geeks check this notebook over for me please

RustyKnee

Enlightened
My Desktop is getting flaky and old. Its a athlon xp2000 with 512gb of ram. It crahes regularly and I can't be botherd to fix it. Its about time I got a new one anyway.

my main requirements.

most of the time will be a desk top replacement. Will use my monitor keyboard and mouse.
Needs to play games (battlefield 2) occasionally even if not at max settings.
I am hoping to make more of my bike light ideas (sell my own/or work as consultant to existing light guy(s). So some portablily...hance the notebook idea.
Not too bothered about battery time. enough to check stuff out...but not going to working for ages away from mains power.
Lan partyable...i will be the cannon fodder.
plays movies

http://www.evesham.com/products/info.asp?e=84B0A217-EEA9-41DE-A735-FF76309FE51F

from what i read it meets the above. its not particularly pretty...but nor am I. I am a function over form man mainly.

Any others in a similar price with better or equiv spec.
this has a 3 year warrenty, the first are on site parts and labour, the 3rd at factory parts ans labour. 0% finance is available too.

What do ya think....it looks good ti me...but I am a little out of touch with current PC developments to be sure.

Stu

RustyKnee

Enlightened
I'm no expert (only bought my first lappy last month), but they seem like decent specs IMO.

And after using the Vista OS for several weeks I've decided that I like it (despite all the horror stories).

Alternative machine with roughly the same specs for the same price...

http://uk.computers.toshiba-europe....service=UK&PRODUCT_ID=128316&toshibaShop=true

CFU

Cool, very similar spec. I'll have a more detailed look when I am less weary. My mate who is an IT guy said DON'T GET VISTA hehe....he is a bit knee jerk and digs his heels in until something is very well accepted. My mates at work though says its great.

Stu

Sarratt

Enlightened
Choose last years technology /.... it';ll run and run (with luck)

Personally I wouldn't install the new Microsoft OS for a year.

then again I'm a goof

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ever try a registry repairer, like Registry Mechanic, or Tune Up Utilities 2007? They can work miracles. My dad's computer became super slow, and on my side (multiple users), half of the time I couldn't get it to do anything except shut down. I ran Registry Mechanic and afterwards, it started running like new.

carrot

Flashaholic
I would wait til at least Vista SP1 before even considering going for it. Vista is a performance hog, and like earlier releases of Windows has its fair share of launch bugs. XP has matured into a pretty stable system, which I'd pick over Vista for now.

chesterqw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Vista is not stable yet

although it is not really necessary to change to XP.

specs are good :)

toshiba's is more expensive.

if you really really want it and have extra cash buy it.

but hey hey, the prices are high IMO.( can't blame me, i have a student price for 2 laptop by fujitsu and 2 by acer till july :p)

Fallingwater

Flashlight Enthusiast
Its a athlon xp2000 with 512gb of ram
I hope to god that was supposed to read "512 mb of ram" :p

The notebook you're posted is pretty sweet. Try to get it with Linux installed. Even if you don't care about linux it'll save you a few bucks on the windows license, and then you can wipe the hard drive and install XP (which is what anybody getting a notebook with Vista on should be doing).

Last edited:

carrot

Flashaholic
Unfortunately when Dell put Linux on their computers, they charged MORE. I don't know how other manufacturers are treating this, though.

RustyKnee

Enlightened
actually I meant Mbyte....big M lol. although millibytes aren't used hehe.

thanks for your replies guys. if I get one I will try vista first. not sure if installing xp voids the warranty?

the evesham has a proper numpad too...which is nice.

Stu

Fallingwater

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm pretty sure it doesn't void the warranty. It's not a hardware modification after all; a different operating system can't get your computer to break down.

RustyKnee

Enlightened
I'm pretty sure it doesn't void the warranty. It's not a hardware modification after all; a different operating system can't get your computer to break down.

cool cheers.

I hit the go button and order that notebook. It doesn't have a xp option, but i am interested in trying vista anyway. If I don'y get on with it I'll get another hardisk and xp.

Looks like some intersing notebooks are coming out. the Toshiba WXW and the Asus c90. the tosh has the new nvidia go 8700 gfx. the asus is basically a desktop in a notebook case.

i figured I would end up waiting for he next best thing no matter when i bit the bullet...and this one fulfills my requirements.is much fatser than my current pooter and plays the games i want it to play.

Stu