Fenix P3D replaces SF E2e

ugrey

Enlightened
Gentlemen, My Fenix P3d is brighter and has longer runtimes than my SF E2e. It is also much more versatile. For the first time in 4 years I dont carry a SureFire any more. It seems like there is something very wrong about this, but, all I know is I now carry more lumens with longer runtimes. Does this mean I have to give up my Tacticool card? Maybe Al can straighten me out. Has any body else retired their E2e?

Last edited:

ADDICTED2LITE

Newly Enlightened
I've had various Fenix lights in the past. All were bright and had good runtime, but I just couldn't get over the quality issues. Since I have changed back to almost exclusive incandescent Surefires, 10 of them! The LED lights look great on white walls or indoors, but outdoors they just don't cut it. Nothing against Fenix, they seem like good lights, they just don't feel like a Surefire.

enLIGHTenment

Enlightened
No forward clickie and no direct mode access? Sorry, but that's a toy, not a serious light. SF lights are highly overpriced, but unlike Fenix's offerings, they're not toys.

vic2367

Enlightened
thats also the reasons why i choose a fenix over a sf,,,brighter light and longer runtimes,:thumbsup:,,,,just got a sf e2l outdoorsman ,,and sent it too milky for some mods,,,
evilgrin07.gif
cant wait to get it ,,,

firefly99

Enlightened
No forward clickie and no direct mode access? Sorry, but that's a toy, not a serious light. SF lights are highly overpriced, but unlike Fenix's offerings, they're not toys.
+1

It is pointless to compare LED and incan technology, since both good just different. Comparing a toy light and a professional light is also a waste of time.

Fenix does not have the Surefire's build quality and reliability. There is no comparison between Fenix and Surefire, they are in different league.

ugrey

Enlightened
Direct mode access? The P3D goes straight into turbo mode, over 100 lumens. I like SFs momentary but you can't tell me a reverse clickie is slower. I own 6 incan. SFs from E1 to M6. The P3D throws the same or farther than my E2e. SF pushes plenty of Led lights for tactical situations. Tell me about your Fenix failures.

zk188

Newly Enlightened
+1

It is pointless to compare LED and incan technology, since both good just different. Comparing a toy light and a professional light is also a waste of time.

Fenix does not have the Surefire's build quality and reliability. There is no comparison between Fenix and Surefire, they are in different league.

Really now why must people bash fenix because they made a light that out performs your overpriced surefire Fenix lights are not toys and surefire build quality is not all what you think it may be they cant even get a clicky switch right Fenix offers an amaizing produtc at a low price and that is no reason to bash them.

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast

I agree, though I admit I am a bit biased on the clickie point. The reverse just kills the deal when it comes to trying to replace a Surefire.

firefly99

Enlightened
Really now why must people bash fenix because they made a light that out performs your overpriced surefire Fenix lights are not toys and surefire build quality is not all what you think it may be they cant even get a clicky switch right Fenix offers an amaizing produtc at a low price and that is no reason to bash them.

I do not own any Fenix or Surefire shares. I am totally cool if people love LED based light such as HDS, Arc.

I only had issue with people trying to compare an apple with orange or toy with a professional grade tool.

I am not convince Fenix lights are professional tools.

Tell me how many LEO/soilders ever use their Fenix as a weapon mounted light in a gun battle in the sandbox.

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
Man :rolleyes:
the talk is about a E2 in comparison to a P3 and some ppl talk about "professional light" and "brightness" meaning the E2 ???
Maybe should purchase an actual led light just to compare? :thinking:

I had my 9N as my primary bike light the last years and now a single emitter cree led running on a single 18650 replaces it. Brighter with double runtime but half the size/weight.
And the 9N is brighter than the E2.
... no way I can understand these opinions.

Last edited:

greenstuffs

Banned
Try to use your P3D or any Fenix in a Rogers Grip :nana: or when you need momentary on/off you might be dead if your life depended on a Fenix :shakehead

Windscale

Enlightened
Firstly I would like to say that I am not a SF Kicker. I can prove this by referring to what I wrote in CPF sone time ago.

Windscale
user_online.gif
vbmenu_register("postmenu_1367867", true);
Flashaholic

mad71.gif
Re: Surefire haters?

"It should not be a matter of love and hate. When SF makes a good product I would love it. I have used a couple of 6Ps for many years. They were very good despite the fact that they sucked batteries. But if one were to feed them well, then they become your good friends. But since a few months ago, the heads were replaced with KL3s. Now they become great lights. No longer sucking batteries whilst providing sufficient output.

I have no brand loyalties at all. What is good is good. What is not good is not so good. The idea is to keep an open mind and buy gear only to suit one's needs."

But times have moved again. I hope my KL3s, now rarely used, will be replaced again soon. It is my pragmatic and utilitarian approach, that is, what is useful is good.

I can't really say Fenixes are toys and SFs are professional equipment. What's good about the pro equipment if it ran out of batts early or not being bright enough. It would be like a Rolls-Royce of the 1950s, good to look at, prestigious to own, but out on the roads...! I still think brand loyalty is the worst thing. A company which does not keep pace with modern technology should not be permitted to survive. Although SF can survive on military contracts. But by not keeping up with the latast tech would mean not doing justice to those who are putting their lives on the line for us.

Last week, I bought a Chinese Cree torch made by Z power Led (YJ-18WE) which runs on 1 x 18650. It is very bright with good runtime and, surprisingly, excellent construction comparable to SF! and cost much less than my 6P +KL3.

At the moment I am trying to restructure my lights and keep mainly those running on rechargeables 18650s and AA eneloops. Primaries will see their ways out as my contributions to being environmentally friendly.

My message is: Be pragmatic when it comes to parting with your hard -earned cash! and always think about the future generations when you think about your power source.

LightJaguar

Enlightened
I do not own any Fenix or Surefire shares. I am totally cool if people love LED based light such as HDS, Arc.

I only had issue with people trying to compare an apple with orange or toy with a professional grade tool.

I am not convince Fenix lights are professional tools.

Tell me how many LEO/soilders ever use their Fenix as a weapon mounted light in a gun battle in the sandbox.

As a former US Armed Forces person I have some knowledge of Military life. Most personnel in the US Armed Forces do not depend on some "professional" flashlight for safety. As a matter of fact at any given time most military personnel on night missions, or guard duty probably do not have a decent flashlight. The ones we used are the old cheap incandescent type, if any. SF has sure got the marketing right to make a lot people believe that military people only use their products. In my years of military service I never ever saw a SF flashlight or any other high powered LED flashlight. Military pay is pretty low too and since SFs tend to be expensive I doubt that many military people own one. Add to that the price of the batteries and many soldiers woud have to eat a lot MREs just to own a SF.
I myself own a couple of SF and Fenix lights and I much prefer the Fenix ones over SF. Sure SF are very nice looking and they got the brand name but Fenix beats them hands down in just about everything else. My wine color SF sure looks nice with my burgundy Jaguar though.

22hornet

Enlightened
Firstly I would like to say that I am not a SF Kicker. I can prove this by referring to what I wrote in CPF sone time ago.
At the moment I am trying to restructure my lights and keep mainly those running on rechargeables 18650s and AA eneloops. Primaries will see their ways out as my contributions to being environmentally friendly.

My message is: Be pragmatic when it comes to parting with your hard -earned cash! and always think about the future generations when you think about your power source.

Hello, thanks!
Care for the environment: finally a good and solid reason to convince Surefire to make their battery tubes wide enough for rechargeable cells.
No kidding, this is a viable reason to make them change their attitude towards RCR123A cells.

Kind regards,
Joris

I will buy an A2 as soon as it can be easily charged with RCR123A cells.

Last edited:

MorpheusT1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Offtopic,

The A2 works with R123`s btw...many mambers use this combo for guilt free lumens.

Benny

22hornet

Enlightened
Hello,
Yes, my L2 also works with RCR123A, but I have to strip the outer foil off the cell first. And even then it remains a very tight fit. And rumor has it that A2 bodies are narrower than L2 bodies. Surefire should make their tubes wider.

Kind regards,
Joris

Windscale

Enlightened
Hello, thanks!
Care for the environment: finally a good and solid reason to convince Surefire to make their battery tubes wide enough for rechargeable cells.
No kidding, this is a viable reason to make them change their attitude towards RCR123A cells.

Kind regards,
Joris

I will buy an A2 as soon as it can be easily charged with RCR123A cells.

This again may be off topic. But I do have reservations about R123As because of their low mah. So, apart from a few small EDC lights which take 1 x R123A, I think it is better to use 18650 or even 17670 lights for more serious uses because of their higher mah.

ugrey

Enlightened
Greenstuffs, With no grip ring It is kind of hard to use the Rogers Grip on my E2e.:) Pistols are another hobby of mine, I have a Z3 and I have never liked the Rodgers Grip. I am not crazy about the switch on the P3d but, that is a trade off for more lumens, longer regulated runtime and versatility.