Dexlight X.V hidden mode (sixth mode)

TMorita

Enlightened
I deduced how to access a hidden sixth mode on the Dexlight X.V.

It seems to be a "find me" mode. Every five seconds, it flashes the LED at the lowest power level. Could be useful in some situations.

Here's how to access it:

1. Put the Dexlight X.V into the SOS mode.
2. Turn the Dexlight off
3. Count four seconds (say: "one thousand one, one thousand two, one thousand three, one thousand four")
4. Turn the Dexlight on

If you do this procedure correctly, the Dexlight will turn on at full power then fade quickly to off. After five seconds, it will blink on briefly at low power, then turn off, then repeat the cycle.

If you try this, let me know if it worked for you.

Toshi

Neg2LED

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sounds like he did, but also sounds like the Dexlight may well be copying the jetbeam....

--neg

bondr006

Flashlight Enthusiast
Did you already know of this mode before I posted this info?

Toshi

Yes. Long before. Another friend from the forum showed me about a month or so ago, and he's had his longer than I have. So, this hidden mode was available on the C-LE well before DX offered the X.V

Last edited:

bspofford

Enlightened
The CL-E v1.2 has the sixth mode, and this seems to indicate circuitry with which you can use 3.7V 14500 Li-ion cells. I have tested this with a dozen CL-E lights and have verified this myself over a period of several weeks. Although the DX X.V has the sixth mode which suggested that I could use 14500 cells, two burned out in seconds with 3.7V. One light doesn't work at all while the second has only a medium brightness mode. The moral of the story is don't use 14500 cells in the X.V light!

heliyardsale

Newly Enlightened
Nice... Just tried it, works like a charm... I know many people think SOS and strobe are worthless but as a hunter and woods roamer, I love the extra modes... They are great for signaling, and this new low mode could be used to find a tree stand during those pre-dawn walks to the stand...
Thanks for the heads up... As anyone checked the run time on this low strobe mode???
Heli

RonM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just wished the SOS mode on the Fenix met spec. I think boating regs require it to do it 6 seconds. My EternaLite MAX does it very quickly...probably per regs.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
I seem to recall someone testing the runtime of the beacon mode a few months back. Or maybe it was just an estimate. I think it was at least two days. This seems reasonable since the flash appears to be at the low level.

Geoff

Brody

Newly Enlightened
Well, at least the SOS mode on the X.V is faster than the SOS mode on my Fenix. With the X.V, it will go through an SOS cycle in about 8 seconds. With my Fenix LOD CE, the SOS mode takes about 13 seconds to blink out an SOS.

lexina

Enlightened
This "hidden" or "find me" mode was on the early batches of the Jetbeam CL-E and is also found on most of the 5-mode drop-ins sold by DX, Kai and some of the dealers (I believe calvinmo was the first to offer it) on this forum. It's prob a case of the same circuit being used in all the different lights.

Last edited: