Cree XLamp LEDs Go Camping in Coleman Lanterns

Daekar

Enlightened
Just saw this news release for June 18:
"Cree XLamp LEDs Go Camping in Coleman Lanterns"

http://www.primenewswire.com/newsroom/news.html?d=121526

but I am not clear which Cree leds will be in which Coleman Lanterns.

Hot Dog! Well I'm not sure which ones will be in the lanterns either, but if they do this they'll be giving EVERY other consumer-targeted manufacturer a run for their money. Everybody will be forced to follow suit or lose their customer-base. I think the flashlight bar just got raised, and enthusiast-light manufacturers are going to have to find other ways to ensure their products are worth our money. I've never bought a Coleman product I didn't like...

luminiferous

Newly Enlightened

Beer

Enlightened
:paypal:............................wait...............................uh................................................ok, Aug..........................@#$%.............ok............... Aug it is. Might as well add it to my sig now.

Sorry been enjoying a little too much of my namesake tonight. (And annoying the neighbors with the HF HID! :nana:)

Turbo DV8

Flashlight Enthusiast
That will be a great camping lantern.

Cree in a lantern! Yessss! GREAT! But wait. Just my thoughts on the Coleman Cree lantern... a camping lantern that uses three CR123A cells and gives 5 hours runtime? Why use CR123A cells in a lantern, the market for which is presumably predominantly campers? I think designing this lantern to use CR123A cells is really, really stupid on the part of Coleman, a company targeting the mass-market, most consumers of which haven't even heard of CR123A cells. What is one going to do? Take two fists full of tiny CR123A cells with you for your weekend camping trip? And if one's idea of camping is KOA, what are the chances that the store will carry CR123A cells when one's five hours runtime are up? Why use CR123A cells at all? So CR123A cells are 3 volts, but with the efficiency of Cree, why did they need CR123A cells, let alone three? This Cree lantern will be a big "PASS" for me. I'll wait until a version comes around the corner which takes cheap cells which are readily available.

Last edited:

Outdoors Fanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cree in a lantern! Yessss! GREAT! But wait. Just my thoughts on the Coleman Cree lantern... a camping lantern that uses three CR123A cells and gives 5 hours runtime? Why use CR123A cells in a lantern, the market for which is presumably predominantly campers? I think designing this lantern to use CR123A cells is really, really stupid on the part of Coleman, a company targeting the mass-market, most consumers of which haven't even heard of CR123A cells. What is one going to do? Take two fists full of tiny CR123A cells with you for your weekend camping trip? And if one's idea of camping is KOA, what are the chances that the store will carry CR123A cells when one's five hours runtime are up? Why use CR123A cells at all? So CR123A cells are 3 volts, but with the efficiency of Cree, why did they need CR123A cells, let alone three? This Cree lantern will be a big "PASS" for me. I'll wait until a version comes around the corner which takes cheap cells which are readily available.
:eek:oo:

I guess you failed you see Coleman's target consumer with this product. Coleman isn't trying to sell CR123 lanterns (or whatever lithium-based equipment) to "Al Bundy's family gone camping" type of customer. It's clearly a specialty product to a niche, like backpackers, serious hikers, mountain climbers and folks who can't afford to carry extra-weight on their expeditions. Coleman already sell zillion types of propane/butane/fluid/gas + all types of battery-based lanterns for the average "trailer-camping" Joe.

Headlights or any other gear for expeditions, climbing etc, isn't mass market. Coleman is targeting this niche now, which is a smart move. They might want to compete with Petzl, Black Diamond, MSR, The North Face, Big Agnes etc. on serious outdoor gear if they want to. This isn't mass market but it's a big one. I'd want to be in if I were Coleman...

Last edited:

Blacklight

Enlightened
:eek:oo:

I guess you failed you see Coleman's target consumer with this product. Coleman isn't trying to sell CR123 lanterns (or whatever lithium-based equipment) to "Al Bundy's family gone camping" type of customer. It's clearly a specialty product to a niche, like backpackers, serious hikers, mountain climbers and folks who can't afford to carry extra-weight on their expeditions. Coleman already sell zillion types of propane/butane/fluid/gas + all types of battery-based lanterns for the average "trailer-camping" Joe.

Headlights or any other gear for expeditions, climbing etc, isn't mass market. Coleman is targeting this niche now, which is a smart move. They might want to compete with Petzl, Black Diamond, MSR, The North Face, Big Agnes etc. on serious outdoor gear if they want to. This isn't mass market but it's a big one. I'd want to be in if I were Coleman...

Exactly right, you saved me a lot of typing, thank you!! I met with Mike Haugen this morning, and he said everyone at basecamp at his Everest Climb this summer liked the new smaller lights for use in their backpacking tents. And the CREE headlamp summited Everest with him. These new small techinical lights are under the Coleman Exponenet brand, and are marketed towards a niche market.

For family campers there is an 8D (170 Lumen), and a 4D (150 Lumen) lantern coming out in December. Run time on the 8D is 35 hours on High and over 50 hours on low, plus it has a supper dim nightlight feature. The 4D is over 20 hours on High, and about 35 hours on low, also with a super low nightlight function.

Blacklight

Enlightened
Bad news on the headlamp, in pilot production the tool crashed, so its going to be another 90 days, I am very sorry guys...

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sweet, thanks for the heads up. Now I just have to wait for the money so I can buy one. :broke: