Fl lanterns as obsolete now as incan?

IMA SOL MAN

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a couple of Coleman fluorescent lanterns #5355 IIRC, and concerned about cost to operate vs modern LED. Should I replace them? I really not sold on lanterns for indoors, as tailstanding flashlights are better IMO. For outside, I have the white gas Coleman lanterns, and I really like them. So, right now I'm thinking of selling the fl lanterns to finance other flashlights and batteries. Right or wrong decision?

Got Lumens?

Flashlight Enthusiast
I only have one FL lantern >15 years old. I have found the amount of light emitted is far less than an LED lantern, but is more directable due to it's design. The FL lantern I have will only work with full size "D" batteries, but lasts about 40 hours of use. I also have a 10 year old LED lantern that also requires four "D" cells, which I power up using NiMh "AA" cells with "D" to "AA" adapters, which works very well. I get about 30 hours of use using the NiMh cells. Both are single on and off functions. Other new LED lanterns offer different brightness levels which can be more useful with their extended run times. My FL lantern powered by "D" batteries, which were/are stored outside the lantern until needed for use. Alkaline batteries always have potential of leakage, and I do not risk having to acquire a replacement lantern when it is needed at times when a replacement is not feasible or possible.

I would not get rid of the propane gas mantle lantern. They work the best, IMO, when needed camping, and times of need. Most have an adjustable output. I do not know much about current LED lantern offerings, they may have surpassed the tried and true gas mantel lanterns that have worked awesome through the decades I've used them. Just make sure You have a spare gas mantle on hand for the gas lantern when using it, as they are fragile and do tend to wear out through lighting and use. Much like having spare cells for an LED or FL lantern. I too prefer a tail standing LED flashlight indoors, but have used gas mantled lanterns indoors without any negative anomalies. I also have and still use lamp oil lanterns in times of power outages.

I would vote to sell the FL lanterns and replace with LED. The FL tubes in the lantern do burn out over time and are becoming harder to acquire and replace as technology advances, IMO. My FL lantern still has it's original tubes, and has only been used lightly working on and beneath vehicles. I have not needed it in years due to the cordless power tool lights of present day.

Take Care
GL

IMA SOL MAN

Flashlight Enthusiast
@Got Lumens?

Thanks for the feedback. I think I might get a propane lantern, since I have the little propane bottles for propane camp stoves. But I will reserve it for outside lighting only, due to having flashlights to tail stand inside.

So far, I'm leaning to selling the FL lanterns--I can't think of any reason to keep them, but maybe someone else on the forum will.

IMA SOL MAN

Flashlight Enthusiast
I still have curly fry bulbs in my house, so my thought is use it until it breaks and replace it then.
They have 6 volt lantern batteries in them now, so I'll probably keep them until those die, anyway. Really, the only reason that I might keep them, the only attractive feature to them is they have a socket on the side for a 12 volt coaxial-type plug, so it could be plugged into a 12 volt DC system. Other than that, I really don't see any reason to keep them.

"Curly fry bulbs" 😂🤣

idleprocess

Flashaholic
  • Do the floro lanterns still suffice for your needs?
  • Adequately reliable?
  • Able to source replacement tubes / have adequate stock?
  • Satisfied with D cells / 6V lantern batteries?
If enough of those questions are "yes" I'd keep using them until too many become "no".

Fuel-burning lamps - i.e. gas, kerosene, propane, oil - are abysmally inefficient as lighting instruments to the tune of watts per lumen (as opposed to the usual inverse). Unless you also need the heat to warm a space, it's going to be more efficient by nearly all metrics (cost, weight, performance, safety, breadth of use cases) to use battery-powered light sources and save the fuel for heating and cooking. That being said I myself have a number of oil lanterns I break out occasionally and have used for a few power outages lasting hours ... knowing full well they're moderately hazardous and inefficient as heck.

Last edited:

idleprocess

Flashaholic
Could these suckers be made to run HID bulbs instead of the FL tubes?! Now THAT would be interesting! 😈
Could be. Would have to swap almost all of the innards, use something that can manage the startup pulse (such as 6V lantern battery SLAs), and accept the accelerated degradation that HID capsules' stray UV will produce.

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
LED lanterns should be more efficient, but many of the higher end lanterns on the market use cheap linear FET drivers which are very inefficient compared to what they should be.

Lately, I have been using ordinary LED flashlights with diffusers.

Ue2y79a.jpg

IMA SOL MAN

Flashlight Enthusiast
LED lanterns should be more efficient, but many of the higher end lanterns on the market use cheap linear FET drivers which are very inefficient compared to what they should be.

Lately, I have been using ordinary LED flashlights with diffusers.

View attachment 45091
I can understand using the diffusers outside, but inside, wouldn't tailstanding with ceiling bounce be better for general room lighting, or do you need the horizontal lighting for fill lighting?

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can understand using the diffusers outside, but inside, wouldn't tailstanding with ceiling bounce be better for general room lighting, or do you need the horizontal lighting for fill lighting?
Not really. You need to be careful were you tail stand a light so it doesn't blind you, with a good diffuser you can put it anywhere and not blind yourself. Problem is most diffusers and nearly all lanterns suck and put off too much glare and often not enough light. If you have a good diffuser, it lights up a room near as well as ceiling bouncing, but is pleasant to look at.

Got Lumens?

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not really. You need to be careful were you tail stand a light so it doesn't blind you, with a good diffuser you can put it anywhere and not blind yourself. Problem is most diffusers and nearly all lanterns suck and put off too much glare and often not enough light. If you have a good diffuser, it lights up a room near as well as ceiling bouncing, but is pleasant to look at.
Lee Filters used to offer swatch booklets that included different levels of diffusion. They could be directly applied to the lights window. Just another option that has worked for me quite well in the past.
GL

Poppy

Flashaholic
Unless you get a kick out of selling something for "a nickel for a dollar" price, I'd say keep them until the batteries are dead and then throw them away. That's what I did with one I had with a rechargeable SLA. I *think* fluorescents are only half as efficient as LEDs. So I wouldn't waste my batteries on them.

IMA SOL MAN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Unless you get a kick out of selling something for "a nickel for a dollar" price, I'd say keep them until the batteries are dead and then throw them away. That's what I did with one I had with a rechargeable SLA. I *think* fluorescents are only half as efficient as LEDs. So I wouldn't waste my batteries on them.
Well, I've seen some on the bay, and I'm fairly certain that there are Coleman product collectors as well as muggles who don't know any better, who might buy them. Maybe I'll put them out on a yard sale this summer.

SYZYGY

Enlightened
it kinda sounds like you want to try something new. why not get rid of them and try something new then? :)

i'm personally not interested in using a lantern worse than LT1 considering it's the best lantern i'm aware of and is relatively inexpensive. still dreaming of 4x21700 + boost driver version.

IMA SOL MAN

Flashlight Enthusiast
it kinda sounds like you want to try something new. why not get rid of them and try something new then? :)

i'm personally not interested in using a lantern worse than LT1 considering it's the best lantern i'm aware of and is relatively inexpensive. still dreaming of 4x21700 + boost driver version.
is LT1 any relation to Lt. Dan?
:D