Is there a "lingo" and "abbreviation" thread?

KingGlamis

Banned
Hey all, as a newbie here I am learning a lot and love this site. But sometimes it is frustrating to not know the "lingo" and some of the abbreviations. I searched around a bit and did not see a thread that explains lingo/abbreviations. Is there such a thread? If so, can you please provide a link? If not, maybe someone could start such a thread and everyone chime in with answers/explainations.

For example, I think that torch is a generic name for any flashlight. But I'm not sure if I'm correct??? Are there certain lights that are considered torches and others are not? That's just one example. I would love it if there was a thread that explained all of the CPF lingo.

Another example is that I had to ask what EDC was. It seems so simple now that I know, but I just didn't know. I feel like a retard having to constantly ask what things mean. :laughing:

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Doug

kromeke

Enlightened
The English refer to flashlights as torches. Presumably, other English speakers not from the US that have learned the Queen's English also refer to flashlights as torches.

Flashlight is an American word.

Norm

Retired Administrator
Coming from a country (Australia) were torch is the way to go, I hate to admit it but flashlight is probably the correct term, I think the reason is, in the early days battery capacities were so low the light ways flashed on to have a quick look to see you weren't walking over a cliff not not constantly on.
Just found a site to confirm this.
http://www.laserengravedkeychains.com/flashlight-origin.htm
At the risk of sounding dumb what does SPF mean in the sales forums, I guess it probably means Sold Prior ????.
Norm

Last edited:

KingGlamis

Banned
Coming from a country (Australia) were torch is the way to go, I hate to admit it but flashlight is probably the correct term, I think the reason is, in the early days battery capacities were so low the light ways flashed on to have a quick look to see you weren't walking over a cliff not not constantly on.
Just found a site to confirm this.
http://www.laserengravedkeychains.com/flashlight-origin.htm
Norm

Well from my perspective, growing up calling them flashlights, "torch" actually sounds like a much better, cooler name. Torch sounds much more powerfull than flashlight.

Norm

Retired Administrator
Well from my perspective, growing up calling them flashlights, "torch" actually sounds like a much better, cooler name. Torch sounds much more powerfull than flashlight.
Funny I have the opposite thoughts to me when I hear torch I think of a burning blob of pitch on a stick.
Norm

FlashCrazy

Flashlight Enthusiast
what does SPF mean in the sales forums, I guess it probably means Sold Prior ????.
Norm

It means "sold pending funds".

A couple more:

SSC -
Seoul Semiconductor, a South Korean manufacturer of LEDs. Their
P4 LED is one of the top LEDs right now, along with the Cree P4 and Edison Opto KCL8 (I think) series.

DD -
Direct Drive. Refers to a light that powers it's LED or lamp directly from the battery/batteries without using a circuit. This design is commonly used in 3 cells lights using NiMH or Alkaline cells, and single cell lights that use a Lithium 3.6/3.7V cell.

ROP -
Roar of the Pelican. Typically a MagLite modded with a Pelican 3854 bulb, from Pelican's spotlight. The 3854 bulb comes in a high output version (HO), and a low output version (LO). Six NiMH AA cells are commonly used to power it, or six "Sub C" cells. Two Li-Ion (Lithium Ion) cells can also be used.

mAH -
milliamp hours. A capacity rating for batteries. 1000 mAH equals 1 amp hour....one amp of current for one hour.

mA -
milliamp, a measurement of current (no time involved in this one). Commonly mentioned here as the current draw from the batteries, or the current delivered to the LED or lamp.