Cree in L4

o0o

Enlightened
Yes, I know no plans are in the works, and that this dream is unlikely.

But, I'm curious, if a Cree were used in the L4 instead of the Lux V and run at the same approximate power level, how much more runtime would it get?

Could a Cree work with the current reflector--e.g. would you still get a flawless beam of flood (a massive close range wall of light)?

I love my L4, but the 1 hour runtime is limited. If a Cree got the same output but doubled (or more) runtime, that would be a great leap.

funder

Newly Enlightened
Most reflectors designed for Lux will not fit Cree, but supriseingly, the reflector of KL4,KL5,KL6 will fit cree, you need a spacer with good heat transmission to make the cree emitter higher a bit, just let the metal ring into the hole of reflector.

The hotspot will be smaller and tigher since the die of Cree only 1/4 of Lux V's. Runtime will be doubled but use 2 123A may be no longer safe.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
The Seoul might be a better swap, it has a closer emitting pattern. But the Luxeon V runs between 5V and 7V while the Seoul runs between 3V and 4V. The Seoul LED might burn out. You'll probably get a smaller hot-spot.

funder

Newly Enlightened
The board of KL4 will drive any emitter at about 700ma, it is quite safe to use cree/SSC replace the lux V if you only use 1 123A or 1 Lion.
Many CPF did this, so don't worry.

grnamin

Enlightened
I put an SSCP4 in my KL4 head, but it's powered by a KL1 driver board. I went for the KL4 head's form factor. :D The beam is about the same as a KL4 with a Lux III U-bin driven by a KL1 board, albeit a bit brighter. A current generation KL1 equipped with an SSCP4 and a McR-20 Seoul has a better beam spot than the KL4 equipped with an SSCP4 and KL1 board mostl likely because of the McR-20 Seoul reflector.

o0o

Enlightened
Luxeon Vs are 5 watt LEDs. Seouls and Crees are 3 watt LEDs. Driving a 3 watt LED at 5 watts will make bad things happen. :duck:

I'm not suggesting modding an L4.

I was hypothetically thinking of one being built from the ground up.

We've seen Fenix make 2x123 lights rated as high as 160 lumens using a Cree that doesn't immediately burn up.

I'm wondering why Surefire can't redesign the L4 from scratch to take a Cree, and run it at the normal Cree power to get about 100 lumens (lower than the Fenix P3D which can safely get 160 lumens on paper).