Which Peak for travel?

KeyGrip

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can't post in the Peak forum, so I figured this was the next best place. I'm considering a Peak LED for general use while traveling, and they all seem to be very rugged lights which put runtime before output, a feature I like. My only problem choosing is the website. They list cp instead of lumens, and don't give separate specs for Luxeons and Seouls, nor do they give different specs for the separate "power levels". All of this has confused me, so I'm looking to you people. I want:

- 1AA (preferably able to use lithiums)
- SSC P4
- tailcap clickie (though I can live with a twisty)
- runtime over brightness

I know the Peak fans aren't as vocal as others, but I'm sure you're out there. Any help appreciated. Thanks.

Grubbster

Enlightened
With the specs you listed, I would choose the Pacific with standard power and a SSC emitter. This will give a good balance between runtime and brightness. You can also get bodies for AAA or CR2 as well as the AA for very little money. That will increase it's versatility. If weight is not an issue to you, I would recommend the brass light. They are heavy but they have a definite "class" to them and take a very nice patina with age.
There are no clickies on Peaks with the exception of a 2XAA body that uses a Kroll switch. That makes for a pretty large light though. You can get the momentary switch that Peak offers and replace the keychain post. I have used that setup and it works very well.

Last edited:

KeyGrip

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks Grubbster, that pointed me in the right direction. I have some follow up questions, though.

-Can I order the light with an AA body directly from Peak? I mean just the AA, without the AAA.

-Is HP the standard power? Is that the power level to which the 10 hour runtime corresponds?

-Any guesses on what the output would be in lumens? Would it be comparable to a Fenix L1T (old, Lux version).

-What kind of regulation (if any) can I expect? FlashlightReviews showed very solid regulation for the Caribbean, would the Pacific be similar?

I'll probably go for brass, I also think it looks super classy. Thanks again.

Last edited:

:)>

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks Grubbster, that pointed me in the right direction. I have some follow up questions, though.

-Can I order the light with an AA body directly from Peak? I mean just the AA, without the AAA.

-Is HP the standard power? Is that the power level to which the 10 hour runtime corresponds?

-Any guesses on what the output would be in lumens? Would it be comparable to a Fenix L1T (old, Lux version).

-What kind of regulation (if any) can I expect? FlashlightReviews showed very solid regulation for the Caribbean, would the Pacific be similar?

I'll probably go for brass, I also think it looks super classy. Thanks again.

KeyGrip,

I have the HP version in Titanium and the light has a similar output to my Fenix L1D-CE on it's low setting. I would assume that the light would have a similar or greater runtime.

My L1T is in Georgia but my P1D (Luxeon version) on low is comparable.

I can't speak to the regulation because I have never done a runtime test on it.

I think it is a great light with very useful output and the promise of long runtime.

-Goatee

LED_Thrift

Flashlight Enthusiast
Peak lights are great. As Grubbster mentioned, get the momentary "switch" for additional convenience. DON'T TRY to get much info from their website - CALL THEM. Their phone support is as good as their build quality, they will steer you to the right light for your needs.

Note: IMO the brass lights, while great looking, add too much weight. The extra weight might be useful as heatsinking if you get the highest output setup, but to me makes the light too noticeable in my pocket.

Grubbster

Enlightened
Yes, but you will have to call them. You can order the light with any of the available bodies.
My understanding of the power is there is standard, high, and ultra power. Here is a link to the definitive Pacific information. http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/showthread.php?t=109192&highlight=pacific
Not sure of lumens.
See the link above for runtime information.

h_nu

Enlightened
I use a Peak Pacific with AA tube for travel. It's stainless steel. I ordered it by phone so I could get the AA tube instead of the AAA. I already had the Baltic for that. I also have an aluminum AA tube to save some weight while still having a rugged head.

I also use the momentary switch. You can still tighten the head if you want it to stay on and you can still unscrew the head a little to lock it out. You won't miss the clicky.

The previous posters observations regarding brightness are dead on. My stainless Pacific has the SSC LED and appears only moderately brighter in the hotspot but has a brighter spill than my older Luxeon Pacific. Both are stamped HP on the head.

regulator

Flashlight Enthusiast
I really like the Peak lights. I have both a Pacific high power with Luxion and Pacific ultra power with Soul LED. The runtime of the HP version (Luxion or Soul) with an AA lithium is around 12 hours very flat regulation. There are runtime test around if you look. You can check flashlightreviews.

The Ultrapower version with Soul it a great flashlight with both good output and good runtime. It draws about 450 mA so should get about 5-6 hours on a lithium AA or about 4 or more with a NiMh cell.

They use a nice efficient converter/regulator and are built very well. I use the "pocket" AA tube with mine and it is one of the smallest AA size lights around. It is very compact.

Theatre Booth Guy

Enlightened
Give them a call and see if Curt is available. Chances are that he will have more information to help you choose than you really need. I really like my low power P4 that I got several weeks ago! Good Luck

KeyGrip

Flashlight Enthusiast
You guys rock far too much for my bank account. :twothumbs :sigh: I guess I'll be calling Peak sometime between now and Ireland! :D Really, Peak should pay you people. This advice has been perfect.