Where to get cree and SSC in colors?

Lux Luthor

Flashlight Enthusiast
I want to mod a PT EOS with an SSC star in amber, and might try other things. I can't find anyone selling these in colors. Can anyone point me to a dealer?

enLIGHTenment

Enlightened
AFIAK Cree does not make the XLamp XR-E in any color. White only. They do make the earlier generation XLamp in colors, but this is not the XR-E high efficiency version everyone here means when they say 'Cree.'

evan9162

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would just go with an Amber Luxeon III - you're not really going to find the same output from anything else.

wintermute

Enlightened
Interesting.

Look closely at the datasheets, though. The Cree parts are dimmer (!) than the equivalent Lux III parts. 23.5lm vs 30lm blue and 300mw vs 450mw royal blue.

These were old numbers for Cree. I think you've missed the press release a couple of weeks ago about Cree's new blue lamp XR-E LEDs, which are 42 lumens @ 350mA (suggesting an efficiency of over 50%). :thumbsup:

Kinnza

Enlightened
For red leds, seek for Osram leds. Both Cree and Lumileds are a step before Osram in blue/white leds and a step before in red leds.

The problem with Osram is they dont guarantee bins, so if you want premium ones, you must find a dealer who select them for a decent overprice, and as most led's dealer are concentrated on white leds, it isnt easy.

Cree dont manufacture red chips, just blue/white ones. Their red leds uses chips from other manufacturers.

dk0013

Newly Enlightened
Interesting.

Look closely at the datasheets, though. The Cree parts are dimmer (!) than the equivalent Lux III parts. 23.5lm vs 30lm blue and 300mw vs 450mw royal blue.

LuxIII's are binned at 700ma (K2's at 1000ma), Cree XR-E's at 350ma. I have some Cree XR-E blues that are K0 flux bin, or 30.6 to 39.8lm at 350ma.

sysadmn

Enlightened
Between keyboard and chair, in the US Midwest.
Great. Perfect for nothing, except creating blurry focus in the eye. Why not red?

IIRC, Royal Blue is used in dental equipment (and others) for curing some types of epoxy. Med equipment manufacturers tend to be more price insensitive :)

Blue might just be a byproduct of that.

I would have expected red-orange and amber for the automotive market. Maybe they're too price sensitive / high volume.

wintermute

Enlightened
Cree 7090 XR Colors - Red and Amber $6.65 each

Amber 580-595nm - 42 lumens @350mA
Red 620-635nm - 40 lumens @350mA

The LED Light

Check it out - see what you think. There is a datasheet on the 7090 XR colors here.

I didn't look up the LuxIII to compare - but you can do that on your own...here's the source for you though.