Dive light bulb question

TRD4ME

Newly Enlightened
So this is something that I have been trying to figure out for a while now, I have included all the info I have so its a bit long.

I have an old dive light that belonged to my father that I would like to use. I remember playing with it as a kid, it was the brightest thing around. It was like one of those million candlepower jobs, like a pillar light on a cop car.... super bright. As a diving light, this is what you wanted.

Here are the pics of it, it uses 10 D battery's hooked up in series so it runs about 15V (actually just over according to the meter). Its made of aluminum, one piece with very thick Plexiglas cover on the end that screws down with a rubber gasket, a real monster:

light1.jpg

light2.jpg

light3.jpg

The bulb burnt out on it quite a few years back, unfortunately the bad one is no where to be found or maybe this would be solved.

I have tried quite a few different bulbs, but nothing has had the desired effect so far. Here are the bulbs I have tried so far the the results:

bulbs%20so%20far.jpg

Here are the results from the bulbs:

1st bulb (from the left), 14V, .35A
14v%20-35a.jpg

2nd bulb, GE148
ge148.jpg

4rd bulb, (far right) 14V, .2A
14v%20-.2a.jpg

3rd bulb, 6.3V, .15A, 150mA
6-3v%20-15a%20-%20150mA.jpg

So the bulbs in the 15V range just plain suck. The best is the 6.3V bulb. I also tried a 2.33V, .27A and a 2.47V, .3A but they both just blew out within a few seconds.

What of bulb do I need and where can I get it??? I am thinking it will be in the lover volt range, or maybe higher volts and lower amps? :confused: I suck at electricity! Also maybe was wondering if the style of bulb will have a big effect, lower or higher in the reflector?

I tried to find the maker of the light with no luck, also talked to the owner of the local Bamboo Reef Dive Shop and he had never seen or heard of this company before.

EDIT:
After running for about 5 minutes, the 6.3v bulb is starting to look like the glass has a tint to it, its not clear any more. Almost looks like a burnt out bulb, but it still works. Maybe the 15V is too much for it!

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast
Since the light was brightest with the .35A bulb, I'd suggest looking for a bulb that operates at an amp or more.

I can't say I recommend using the 6V bulb, as its life when that overdriven is useless.

DM51

Flashaholic
Oh wow. WOW!!! This is a fantastic-looking light! Just ask the mods to move this thread over to the homemade and modified forum, and then watch the suggestions roll in! Before you know what has happened, you'll have a huge bank of NiMHs, a hotwire bulb, maybe 5,000 lumens...

What a great find!

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
the 14 volt buld is perfectly seated inside the reflector, its just too weak (not a surprise with a draw of just .35 A --> 5 Watts, the original bulb might have been something 20 W or above)
If You could find a more powerful one with the same measurement (lower contact point to hotwire) ...

that "E" screw-in base is Your problem, there just are no good bulbs available with them
(all 0.7-1 A bulbs I know of are P sockets)
If You find a bulb in the 0.7-1 A range, these are the ones used in "powerful" lights (like Mag),
as this was a dive light, it might have featured a much brighter bulb like this one here:
http://www.light-edge.com/proddetail.asp?section=Super Bulbs&prod=WA01166PT

would kick *** :)

edit: my bad, that linked bulb is also a "P"-base, not screw-in "E"-base.

best would be to change that base
(but I could see a nice heatsink, at least 4 (better more) power led mounted to it, some reflectors from the shoppe and a SHARK + REMORA combination to drive it)

Last edited:

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast
the 14 volt buld is perfectly seated inside the reflector, its just too weak (not a surprise with a draw of just .35 A --> 5 Watts, the original bulb might have been something 20 W or above)
If You could find a more powerful one with the same measurement (lower contact point to hotwire) ...

that "E" screw-in base is Your problem, there just are no good bulbs available with them
(all 0.7-1 A bulbs I know of are P sockets)
If You find a bulb in the 0.7-1 A range, these are the ones used in "powerful" lights (like Mag),
as this was a dive light, it might have featured a much brighter bulb like this one here:
http://www.light-edge.com/proddetail.asp?section=Super Bulbs&prod=WA01166PT

would kick *** :)

edit: my bad, that linked bulb is also a "P"-base, not screw-in "E"-base.

best would be to change that base
(but I could see a nice heatsink, at least 4 (better more) power led mounted to it, some reflectors from the shoppe and a SHARK + REMORA combination to drive it)
P-base + ROP Hi bulb = great light.

Taking this thing to LED, while worthwhile, is much more difficult than changing the bulb holder.

TRD4ME

Newly Enlightened
P-base + ROP Hi bulb = great light.

Taking this thing to LED, while worthwhile, is much more difficult than changing the bulb holder.

OK, so where would I get these items and what is the approximate cost?

I was told in an email that I should look for a bulb that is around 14.5 volts and maybe 5 amps, but I am at a loss to find that also! :confused:

TRD4ME

Newly Enlightened
Glad you made it here Peter!
just be advised that you are entering Flashoholic territory.
ROP=> Roar of Pelican (Bulb from Pelican Lantern (Firefighting))
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/120462&highlight=ROP

-GrillmasterP

It talks about the potential of a meltdown of the reflector because of heat, thats a bit scary. I don't think I could just go out and get a new reflector for this thing! Maybe changing to that base then playing with similar bulbs of different strenghts so there are no meltdowns.

FILIPPO

Flashlight Enthusiast
It talks about the potential of a meltdown of the reflector because of heat, thats a bit scary. I don't think I could just go out and get a new reflector for this thing! Maybe changing to that base then playing with similar bulbs of different strenghts so there are no meltdowns.

is it a plastic reflector?
if yes you may have some problems becouse of the heat...

another thing: you need 2 D dummy cell becouse ROP runs with 6 nimh D battery. are you thinking to use something different?

DM51

Flashaholic
It's pretty unlikely to be a plastic reflector, IMO. It has some light scratching marks on it, probably from when someone took the front lens off to change the bulb and decided to give it a clean, but it's too old to have had a plastic reflector. It looks like bare metal, and if so, there obviously won't be any danger of it melting.

TRD4ME

Newly Enlightened
is it a plastic reflector?
if yes you may have some problems becouse of the heat...

another thing: you need 2 D dummy cell becouse ROP runs with 6 nimh D battery. are you thinking to use something different?

This light uses 10 D batterys, so if it had to run on 6 then I would have to run 4 dummy batterys.

TRD4ME

Newly Enlightened
It's pretty unlikely to be a plastic reflector, IMO. It has some light scratching marks on it, probably from when someone took the front lens off to change the bulb and decided to give it a clean, but it's too old to have had a plastic reflector. It looks like bare metal, and if so, there obviously won't be any danger of it melting.

Checked it just now, it definitely is a plastic reflector.

DM51

Flashaholic
Checked it just now, it definitely is a plastic reflector.
OK, well you won't be able to run anything interesting in there with that reflector or it will melt. If you post its diameter in homemade & mod and ask whether a metal one that size exists, someone might know. Alternatively, you could go for multiple smaller reflectors behind the same lens/window. A hex pattern (6 + 1 in the middle = 7) would be the most efficient in terms of space.

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you drilled out the hole a little and put in a 21 watt HID bulb and ballast, ran it on 6 18650 cells I think you would have on kcikass light. Hell you could probably run it on 9 or even 12 depending on space.