Questions re. Novatac EDC-P

x2x3x2

Banned
The user mannual was recently released, and some of us probably have some questions regarding certain settings.
So I thought it would be helpfull to have a list in a Q&A style as an info resource.

My question is regarding:

9. Ramping/Options menu <dim-to-bright>
It's stated that default setting is Enabled and we can enter it by click-click-click-press, but how do we Disable it?

Last edited:

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great idea, and although I've read the manual several times, I did have to go back and read that section again to answer your question.

Of course, you enter the option menu by turning the light on... then click-click-click-press... and then release. Once in the options menu you click once to advance thru each option. Each option will be identified by it's own unique flashing sequence.

When you get to the Ramping/Options menu (signified by the light going from dim to bright), you press and hold for 2 seconds until the light turns off. That will change the mode to disabled. You will know that you are disabling this mode because if it was already off, you would not be able to enter the options menu in the first place!. To re-enable that particular mode I believe you would have to do a factory reset.

Zounds! It's going to take me a while to get a good understanding of this, but at least it seems to be logically thought out. Thanks again for starting this thread.

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Novatac lights are supposed to be furnished with a pocket clip, but I cannot find a photo showing the clip.

What does the clip look like?
Will the light be carried bezel up or down?
What is the clip made from?

BBL

Enlightened
More questions:

#1: The manual states, that a press while on activates the maximum setting. Is this always that way - independet of simple-/tactical-momentary?

#2: I asume the simple momentary starts in the previous setting when the force-setting option is off?

Maybe someone has an answer...

Blindasabat

Flashlight Enthusiast
#1: The manual states, that a press while on activates the maximum setting. Is this always that way - independet of simple-/tactical-momentary?

#2: I assume the simple momentary starts in the previous setting when the force-setting option is off?

Maybe someone has an answer...
#1: That doesn't work when using momentary function because it will not stay on. With simple momentary on, you turn on with a short click, then it operates normally (a press while on activates the maximum setting - momentarily). In tactical momentary there is no way to keep it on when the button is not being pressed. You have to do a factory reset to turn tactical off.

#2: Correct. As does Tactical Momentary. "Any desired configuration changes (such as forcing on to Maximum) must be made before enabling the Tactical Momentary option."

The UI appears simplified fewer clicks) and improved over the HDS versions.

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
The UI appears simplified (fewer clicks) and improved over the HDS versions.
Agreed, but its really going to screw me up if I keep my HDS B42. I'm used to click-click-press activating high and now its going to throw me into "ramp up brightness" menu.

I don't think they should have reused this command to do a completely different thing.

Blindasabat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Agreed, but its really going to screw me up if I keep my HDS B42. I'm used to click-click-press activating high and now its going to throw me into "ramp up brightness" menu.

I don't think they should have reused this command to do a completely different thing.
Very true. Not a good idea to try to own/and use both HDS and Novatac lights...
Bummer.

aceo07

Enlightened
Very true. Not a good idea to try to own/and use both HDS and Novatac lights...
Bummer.

I thought it was click-click-click-press? Max for HDS is click-click-press.

I'd definitely think less clicks to change levels is good. Maybe 4 clicks would be better than 3. Less chance to get it mixed up.

Casual Flashlight User

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Novatac lights are supposed to be furnished with a pocket clip, but I cannot find a photo showing the clip.

What does the clip look like?
Will the light be carried bezel up or down?
What is the clip made from?

I emailed them about this, this is the reply...

"The clip will attach around the threads, over the o-ring and be secured by
screwing the switch onto the battery case.

This will provide a bezel down carry and is stronger than the old HDS."

So, no chance of putting our Arc4 clips on the new models...:shakehead

CFU

dixemon

Enlightened
I emailed them about this, this is the reply...

"The clip will attach around the threads, over the o-ring and be secured by
screwing the switch onto the battery case.

This will provide a bezel down carry and is stronger than the old HDS."

So, no chance of putting our Arc4 clips on the new models...:shakehead

CFU

What the hell. Just tap a new hole. I had to tap one In my U60 for my Ti PD clip, no problem just be real precise. The clip around the threads thing sound cheezee, I remember the one that I purchased for my Lion Cub and it was a joke. However, Im sure they manufactured something a little more sturdy.

Flashlight Enthusiast
is it any better to go with the programble version as supposed to the tactical one or other version???

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
is it any better to go with the programble version as supposed to the tactical one or other version???
http://www.lighthound.com/index.asp?PageAction=Custom&ID=30

Only YOU can decide that question. That page should help answer most of your questions, but .... yes.... it is better to go with the programable version (IMHO). Main difference is the T model has a protruding clicky, and P has an enclosed clicky. Other than that, you can program the P model to work just like the T model, but the T model can't be programmed. So, I think it comes down to how you want the tail switch.

Flashlight Enthusiast
how would someone rate the how easy or hard it is to program, becuase it took and hour or so for me to figure out the codex for my pila, which does a simliar option.

Flashlight Enthusiast
why is it that the runtime on high is 30 minutes when my Fenix P1DCE light which is the same size gets 2 hours????

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
why is it that the runtime on high is 30 minutes when my Fenix P1DCE light which is the same size gets 2 hours????
Hmmm.... flashlightreviews.com shows an estimated runtime on max output for the P1D-CE of about an hour. Do you really get 2 hours.... are you sure that isn't on primary (which would be medium)?

Also, I believe that Novatac rates the runtime of the 120P as getting a 'minimum' of 30 minutes runtime, which means it could well be more like 45 minutes depending on the cell type you use. I guess we will find that out in a couple of weeks. :grin2:

Krahl

Newly Enlightened
Great threat! Some information in the manual also confuses me.

For the P-model the manual states on the last site of the manual point 13. "Primary features":

"Four directly accessible and user-programmable brightness/signal settings".

I can see that I can directly access primary and maximum but to reach secondary and minimum I have to turn the light on and then toggle with 2 or 3 clicks to these stages?

Will it work to do 4 clicks from off to reach minimum directly without the primary getting activated and flashing up shortly after the first click?
Maybe that would ruin my nightvision if I wanted to go directly to the minimum setting from off.