MagLED makes a hissing/whining noise?

johnny13oi

Enlightened
Hey guys, I have a MagLED 2D and it makes a weird hissing/whining noise. Its more of a high pitch whine. Is this completely normal or is this a bad thing? It's audible about 2ft away from my ear. And this flashlight actually puts out a good amount of light and throws really far, well atleast for my standards.

zamboniman

Newly Enlightened
There's some loose piece of ferrous material in there. The changing magnetic field from the power supply's inductor is causing it to move back and forth, thus making an impromptu speaker. If you can, resin-pot the voltage regulator. Otherwise, take it back. If you don't have a receipt, take it to home depot -- they'll give you store credit if you tell them you bought it there (make sure they carry that kind of flashlight!).

half-watt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here's my guess. And it's just a guess since i don't know anything about the electronic design involved.

You're perhaps young or still have some good hi-freq hearing left from not being exposed to loud noises (gun fire in the military, loud music, jet engines, racing cars, mowing lawns, etc. -- i've nearly always worn hearing protection, myself)

2D = 3V which is too low to forward bias the LED. so, my guess is that some type of switching supply/electronics (a boost converter of sorts and perhaps a regulator too - like i said, i don't really know since i've never seen a schematic diagram of the electronics involved) is involved (or in some cases PWM, but probably not in the case of a single level of light output as in the MagLED - some PWM is too high to hear as is some switching supplies/regulators).

these control/produce a proper voltage level by switching at very hi-frequencies. When i put some PWM and other flashlights with switching supplies in them on a JakStrap near my right ear/temple area (i'm an old geezer, so it needs to be no more than a few inches away, generally), i can also hear an annoying hi-freq noise. Very annoying. Eventually, i subconsciously tune it out and don't notice it any longer. For example, a Proton flashlight, currently near my right ear as i type, when on max, i think i don't hear anything - IF(??? not really sure i can hear it - you know how very hi-freq is - more like a sensation or pain than a sound - at least that's how my brain interprets it), well anyways, where was i, oh..., IF i do hear it, it's really, really high freq (17 kilohertz or higher would be my guess - yeah, take care of your ears and, even though it's downhill to a 100 for me, as far as age goes, you'll be able to still hear such higher frequencies - though not as clearly/loudly/distant). as i dim the output of the Proton, the freq gets lower and i definitely can hear that annoying buzz/noise/hi-freq waveform.

the most annoying ones of all are the Nite-Ize IQ switch for the AA MiniMagLites. talk about noise pollution!!

i've read in some other Posts of a similar nature/complaint with other lights. my guess is that in these cases it's the electronics controlling the voltage.

don't worry, as you age, you won't hear it as well anymore!!!

EDIT:
turned Proton off for a while. then, turned it back on. at max, can definitely hear a buzz, but i'm not so sure about it being as high as 17KHz - probably a somewhat lower freq. so much, for my initial intuition!

Last edited:

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree with hw. That familiar hum means that our fancy electronic LED flashlights are singing to us! I just wish I knew the words...

Lights that do this, that I know of and own:
-Gladius
-Argo HP
-Nuwai 712L

Some are louder than others.

chiphead

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is not unusual for anything with high frequency switching circuits. I can hear noise coming from my Photon Fussion headlamp on most of the AM dial.

chiphead

Illum

Flashaholic
Assuming that the magLED has an inductor [I dont know really...] it could be a bad inductor

not bad as not working...but bad as in wrong specs or faulty. I've bought some products that produces the "piercing shriek" when the inductor is powered. When I removed the component and installed another ordered at same spec, the problem was resolved.

Marduke

Flashaholic
I have two of the MagLED 2D's, and they both will make a whining noise for about 10 seconds on a cold startup. Once it warms up a bit, it goes away. No worries though, it's just one of the circuits warming up, and many other lights do the same thing.

chiphead

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have two of the MagLED 2D's, and they both will make a whining noise for about 10 seconds on a cold startup. Once it warms up a bit, it goes away. No worries though, it's just one of the circuits warming up, and many other lights do the same thing.

Just for grins, fire it up next to a radio between 700~1100 on the AM dial, it may sing to you. Some of mine do!

chiphead