9V batteries for paintball

BB62

Newly Enlightened
Definitely OT...

My son is contemplating buying either rechargeable or alkaline 9V batteries to use in his hopper and paintball gun. His gun/hopper needs 3 batteries.

Alkalines are about $3 apiece, and rechargeables are about $12 apiece.

My concern is, like in some flashlights, that the rechargeables will not have the "horsepower", in terms of intial voltage, to do the job. In addition, the rechargeables I am looking at (Energizer) show 150mAh vs about 600mAh for alkalines.

All comments appreciated!

BB62

DieselTech

Enlightened
I played way too much paintball for a few years, and spent way too much money doing it, but in the process I found that Duracell alkaline batteries are really the best way to go.

I cant explain why, but they seemed to last longer in the gun and my hopper was more responsive. Playing recreationally, I'd run them for about two weeks playing on the weekends. When we had tournament games, I swapped them every night, no matter how they were working. Didnt want to risk a sudden battery failure.

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you happen to belong to a super warehouse, alkalines are cheaper then that. I bought a multi-pack of Duracells at Costco some time ago (maybe a quantity of 6?) and as I recall it averaged something over a dollar each but definitely less then $1.50.

BB62

Newly Enlightened
JB - thanks for the suggestion.

Do the Li-Ion have the same kind of "punch", discharge time and output of alkalines?

Thanks again.

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast
Although two sets of rechargeables would be best, due to shorter run time, wouldn't they be cheaper if the gun gets anything but temporary use?

Just a guess but wouldn't the 8.4 volt (vs. 7.2v type) NiMH battery maintain its voltage better and longer than an alkaline?

BB62

Newly Enlightened
JB - thanks for the suggestion.

Do the Li-Ion have the same kind of "punch", discharge time and output of alkalines? Thanks again.

Jay - I wonder just the same thing - although I have no idea. Can sharper minds than mine comment on the matter?

JB01245

Newly Enlightened
BB62,
Sorry about not responding sooner to your question about "punch" and discharge time, but I am unsure. In the product description it reads "Can replace NiMH 9V Battery pack with double running time at similar price". Not sure about the "punch". I just wanted to point out another option to you that I had stumbled across. Hopefully somebody with a better understanding of Li-Ion batteries with chime in. Good luck.

BB62

Newly Enlightened
What about the lithium 9v batteries?? They last a lot longer..

I agree, but my thought was to reduce overall cost, rechargeables would be the way to go.

Whether the rechargeables are "up to the job" or not is still somewhat of an open question.