P3D witw rebel 100

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
They are on their way from Fenix to 4sevens apparently. So even he hasn't gotten his hands on one yet.
I'd guess it will be the end of next week when we might start getting ours. If I find time I'll post a small review when I get mine.

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think the ship date is supposed to be around 8/3? I have one pre-ordered so I'll be sure to give my 2 cents when mine comes in. I will be comparing it to my regular P3D, a P2D Q2.

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just got mine! It does have the OP reflector, which I wasn't sure if it would have or not. So it has a nice beam. The tint is much nicer than the tint from my regular P3D, it's more white and warm (makes my regular P3D's beam look very purple/blueish in comparison). The lower modes look brighter. It's kinda of hard to tell a difference on Turbo, because the OP in the Rebel version spreads out the hot spot, so the hot spots look about the same intensity, but since the hot spot from the Rebel is larger it does seem to be putting out more light. I am having some issues with the UI (clicky) so I might have to try cleaning the contacts etc. Hopefully that will clear things up. Say I'm in turbo, I turn it on and it goes straight to strobe and tapping and clicking on and off won't get it out of Turbo, but twisting the clicky cap to turn it off and on cycles it to the next mode.

The beam tint and quality is a huge improvement over my regular P3D. I will play with these more tonight when it gets dark out to compare throw.

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just got mine! It does have the OP reflector, which I wasn't sure if it would have or not. So it has a nice beam. The tint is much nicer than the tint from my regular P3D, it's more white and warm (makes my regular P3D's beam look very purple/blueish in comparison). The lower modes look brighter. It's kinda of hard to tell a difference on Turbo, because the OP in the Rebel version spreads out the hot spot, so the hot spots look about the same intensity, but since the hot spot from the Rebel is larger it does seem to be putting out more light. I am having some issues with the UI (clicky) so I might have to try cleaning the contacts etc. Hopefully that will clear things up. Say I'm in turbo, I turn it on and it goes straight to strobe and tapping and clicking on and off won't get it out of Turbo, but twisting the clicky cap to turn it off and on cycles it to the next mode.

The beam tint and quality is a huge improvement over my regular P3D. I will play with these more tonight when it gets dark out to compare throw.
I've noticed a fantastic tint on both my lights with 0100 Rebels.

pilou

Enlightened
This is incredible. Every time I skip reading this forum for a few days, something totally new shows up. I didn't even know the rebels were already being used in production lights! :rolleyes:

lucio

Newly Enlightened

wow, the tint being warmer looks like a great improvement!

looking forward your night testing :thumbsup:

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'll try to get some beam shots pics up tonight. :) I was comparing it with my P2D Q2, and it's even warmer and nicer than that. It's amazing how much light is coming out of such a small LED.

dolbyyy

Newly Enlightened
Wow!! Really I can't wait until you post your test and beamshot pictures. I was already impressed by the brightness of the P3D with Cree Leds that I'm looking forward to read your full comments about this new Rebel Led.
Enjoy your dark night and your new "baby":thumbsup:

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
Alright, I took some quick beam shots to satisfy those wanting to see. :) This is more to show tint. I only had the lights about 1 1/2 -2 feet away from a piece of white foam board. Digital camera's white balance locked on daylight.

P3D 100lm Rebel on left, P3D P4 on right, both with fresh Titanium batteries, both on Turbo:

Same settings, but under exposed:

Now both on LOW:

Here is the P3D 100lm Rebel on left, P2D Q2 on right, both on TURBO, and under exposed:

That's it for now. If anyone has any requests for comparision shots, let me know. I will try to take some beam shots at longer range tonight to give a better idea of the throw and spill. You can click on the images for a higher resolution version.

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can't wait to take it outside to see how the improved tint renders the outdoor world.

Also when I was shining it around my basement, about 15-20 feet away, I did notice the Rebel P3D's hot spot covered a larger area thanks to the OP reflector, and the hot spot was just as bright, or brighter, than the P3D P4, and the tint was WAY better.

Chao

Enlightened
Thanks for the beamshots, dramatic difference:twothumbs.

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the beamshots, dramatic difference:twothumbs.

I think the difference is most dramatic when they are both set to LOW. Is there some kind of curve wit these new LED's? Like there is a larger % increase in lumens at lower current, than at higher currents?

ensile

Enlightened
i thought the q2 was good.... i better splash out, this is looking gooood

seattlite

Enlightened
Have you used RCR123's yet?

I think the difference is most dramatic when they are both set to LOW. Is there some kind of curve wit these new LED's? Like there is a larger % increase in lumens at lower current, than at higher currents?

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
I loaded up the P3D 100 Rebel with AW RCR's and took a shot with them to compare to a shot with fresh primaries. I can't see any difference in the photos so I won't bother posting them. In theory there shouldn't be any real difference, since it's regulated. I know with the original P3D someone took lux measurements and showed a small increase. There maybe a slight increase, but it isn't noticeable. Just guilt free lumens. :)

I'm about to take the P3D P4 and P3D 100lm Rebel outside now, but it's a bit hazy. I'm going to compare their throw, but the Rebel has an OP reflector which will be a disadvantage. :)