My EDC Defender Lanyard pictorial.

nightprowler

Newly Enlightened
I wish I could say I came up with this idea but I observed it while attending Tactical Handgun II at Thunder Ranch. Some of you may have seen this before. This is an improvised low cost ($1.00) lanyard that allows the user to manipulate objects with his flashlight hand without having to put the flashlight away. This is ideal while reloading a handgun or opening a door ect. The o-ring stays open to allow you index finger to find the opening easily.

Assemble the two o-rings onto the metal split ring. The large o-ring should reach the back of the tailcap when lifted up (not stretched). The small o-ring should fit the diameter of your light snugly.

DSC01035.jpg

Flashlight at the ready.
DSC01036.jpg

Curl the fingers under the light.
DSC01040.jpg

Flashlight resting on the back of the hand. Perform your reload.
DSC01039.jpg

Curl the fingers back under the flashlight, grasp the light and you are ready to go. The metal split ring was found at Walmart in the fishing section and you guys know where to find o-rings at your own locale. The split ring will wear some finish off your light so this is for working lights and not shelf queens. I hope you find this of some use. -prowler

Mash

Enlightened
That looks like a great field expedient method, Thanks!
Nice P7 BTW!

Illum

Flashaholic
I saw this setup once while fishing...an old man used the loop over loop configuration to secure his tackle box on the handle of the reeler.

nightprowler

Newly Enlightened
Isn't that setup called the Tiger ring or something to that nature?

Thanks, you are right a quick Google search and I found an article by Clint Smith from Thunder Ranch. He gives Tiger Mckee credit for showing this system to him a few years ago. http://www.americanhandgunner.com/CRC0707.html

I did not know it had a name but now we know what it is and what it takes to roll your own.:twothumbs

nightprowler

Newly Enlightened
nice hkp7 is that the 13 rounder?

light is nice too ;)

The P7 is a PSP (8 rounds) that were recently imported . It is a German Police trade in and is in really nice shape for a used pistol. PM me for more details if you want. A photo with the WE Defender to keep us on topic.:thumbsup:

DSC01031.jpg

PaulHsu

Newly Enlightened
The P7 is a PSP (8 rounds) that were recently imported . It is a German Police trade in and is in really nice shape for a used pistol. PM me for more details if you want. A photo with the WE Defender to keep us on topic.:thumbsup:

DSC01031.jpg

I have the nickel p7m10 in .40 :twothumbs no nice light yet though

Nathan

Enlightened
Nice P7 indeed! Can't believe it's a police trade in. Looks nearly new!

Back OT, it's important to use at least one rubber O-ring in this set up. I've seen a guy use a key ring attached directly to the plastic lanyard ring of his Surefire A2. He went to reload and the plastic ring snapped at the hole. The lanyard ring is designed to break apart under force, but it cracked at the hole as well. The A2 went flying.

Size15's

Flashaholic
I've seen photos of people using a metal ring attached to SureFire's TailCap lanyard ring for the same purpose. That was years ago. Perhaps this is a refinement of the concept.

kosPap

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nightprowler. thanks SOMUCH for this. I had heard of the technique but had no other references for it, till today.....

BTW how to you determine O-ring Size?

thanks again, kostas

nightprowler

Newly Enlightened
Nightprowler. thanks SOMUCH for this. I had heard of the technique but had no other references for it, till today.....

BTW how to you determine O-ring Size?

thanks again, kostas

Maybe this diagram will help. The small o-ring fits the diameter of your light snugly. Usually placed in a groove machined into the light body. For example 2.5 cm. Measure the distance from the groove to the tail cap. For example 4 cm then the diameter of your large o-ring should be 4 cm.

diagram.jpg

kosPap

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would NEVER think of it.....

But that puts a problem with surefire if you use the taical available space....HMM

Mucho Thanks though, kostas